Will I notice any performance

italian

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2006
OK I don't have much money and wanting to up grade a little. here is what I have

asus a8n-e 939 nvidia nforce 4 ultra board
mem is maxed at 4 gig 4 1gig chips ddr 400
xfx 7600 gt xxx 256meg

that is the main things, my question is the local computer shop has a 3800 x2 duel core for my board and I was wondering if it will be faster because it is a duel core, or is my 3700 faster? if I remember my 3700 was a fast chip in it's day. I can get the 3800 x2 for $40 and he told me my original fan would work.

SpidersWeb

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Get the dual core processor.
For general windows tasks you wont notice much difference if any. But in any modern games (unless your video card holds it back), or video editing etc you should notice a solid improvement.

You'll also want to go to your motherboard makers website, and check their CPU support list, and if you need to upgrade your BIOS prior to installation (or ask them to do it, not sure if they will for 40 bucks tho).

If you haven't changed a processor before and don't really want to, then there is no real harm in just leaving your machine as it is. For the money it's worth it, but for all the hassle it might not be (for you).