Sign in with
Your question
Solved

GA EX58-UD3R and two 4870's

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 31, 2009 1:34:58 AM

I have the above MB. It is 'okay', suits most of my needs. BUT... I currently have one Sapphire 4870 1 GB GPU. It is a two slot design. I was considering adding another GPU, but the board layout will put the intake of the top card by my guestimate somewhere between .5 CM and 1 CM from the back side of the bottom card...

I cannot find out any firm info on the new 5800 GPU's, just rumour and propaganda at this point.

Any suggestions?

More about : ex58 ud3r 4870

a b U Graphics card
August 31, 2009 2:21:51 AM

The mail outs from ATI say theyre 2 teraflop cards. Add that into the rumors youve heard, it may help decide
m
l
August 31, 2009 2:57:08 AM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
The mail outs from ATI say theyre 2 teraflop cards. Add that into the rumors youve heard, it may help decide

OK, I'll add that bit of info to my rumour list...

But let's assume worst case scenario - the 5xxx series doesn't live up to expectations, or is priced out of range of, uh, me. Will .5 CM clearance be enough for the intake of my top card with another card putting out heat below it?
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
August 31, 2009 3:12:16 AM

It works, maybe add a fan at the cards? Thats what alot have done.
Id try it without, but be ready to add a fan, preplan for it
It may run cool enough, but the fan solution works
m
l
August 31, 2009 3:31:41 AM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
It works, maybe add a fan at the cards? Thats what alot have done.
Id try it without, but be ready to add a fan, preplan for it
It may run cool enough, but the fan solution works

Sure looks like a tight fit to me... And I'd not really like modding my case to add a fan to the side panel. I DO take my WS out to the occasional client to show a proof-of-concept setup for them. Maybe I could get a spare side panel...

Oh well, I am probably just buying trouble here, but I cannot help playing 'what if'. Call me a worry wart. On a side note, totally off topic, my vendor loaned me one of each x8xx series NV quadro cards for the weekend. 23 to 30% improvement in graphics, depending on the app. Don't ask about the price...

(and, no, they can't play Crysis for spit!)
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
August 31, 2009 3:39:05 AM

Cmon, tell em to lend you the teslas heheh
August 31, 2009 3:50:37 AM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
Cmon, tell em to lend you the teslas heheh

I have had a go at the Plex D's... A client was toying with the thought of a render farm. They don't run in parallel too nicely, so it would have been a number of samll render farms... Mr Client decided that the cost factor was just too high for the increase in productivity. (And, no, they don't play Crysis for spit either...)
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 31, 2009 7:52:25 AM

Badges? We don' need no stinkin' badges...!
Now theres the quote of the day, maybe the year LOL
m
l
August 31, 2009 7:58:56 AM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
Badges? We don' need no stinkin' badges...!
Now theres the quote of the day, maybe the year LOL

I posted it soon after the last rating system change... It also reminds me to find a new Blazing Saddles dvd, as mine is a bit worn out. Thank you, Mr. Brooks....
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 31, 2009 8:57:18 AM

Hey, dont forget the Irish lol
m
l
August 31, 2009 9:06:52 AM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
Hey, dont forget the Irish lol

Well, OK... They can ALL come in!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 31, 2009 9:29:26 AM

All the references to the varying names as well, like old actors names vs actual historic names of that era were rich.
m
l
August 31, 2009 9:46:13 AM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
All the references to the varying names as well, like old actors names vs actual historic names of that era were rich.

It had to be one of the most irreverant take-offs of Hollywood ever done. Best thing that Mel brooks was involved in (except for possibly 'Dr. Frankstein') since he was involved with 'Get Smart'. And that was mostly Buck Henry's doing, Mel was just there to learn from the master. And learn he did.

OK, next weekend I am on the impossible search.... A new copy of 'Blazing Saddles'.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 31, 2009 9:52:57 AM

Hope it doesnt keep you, coming and going and going and coming heheh
m
l
!