Sign in with
Your question

Help, 3 month old computer hangs at memory check

Last response: in Motherboards
February 1, 2010 10:47:24 PM

I built the computer around 11/9/09 and had no issues. Everything was working great with default settings. (I don't overclock).

Within the last 2 weeks the computer would hang on the memory check (motherboard has the leds to tell you what is checking) and would require a reboot or multiple to get past the check. I used the windows memory check and everything seemed ok with the memory according to that.

Last night I heard a couple beeps but didn't think anything of it since everything was working fine and thought it could have been my battery backup. Tonight it will not boot past the memory check at all even when I swapped around the memory...hitting the Mem OK button, clearing c'mos back to defaults and rebooting probably 20 times.

Any ideas if it might be the motherboard or ram? I am leaning toward the motherboard since whats the chances of 4 sticks of ram just going at the same time.

System specs:

- Asus P7P55D PRO LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Motherboard

- Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80605I7860

- (x2) G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8D-4GBRM

- Antec EarthWatts EA750 750W Continuous Power ATX12V version 2.3 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified

- Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card .

Also, how long are warranties for motherboards and ram? I have built 4 systems over the years and never had anything die on me outside of a power supply so I am at a loss on how to troubleshoot this and get the ball rolling to fix it.

Thanks in advance.
a b V Motherboard
a b } Memory
February 1, 2010 11:03:36 PM

can you get into the bios? check to make sure that the ram voltage is set to 1.6v then dowload and run memtest.
February 1, 2010 11:20:56 PM

No, it hangs on the mem test and doesn't even post to bios.
Related resources
a c 194 V Motherboard
a b } Memory
February 1, 2010 11:36:26 PM

Run test w/ 1 module at a time ?
a b V Motherboard
a b } Memory
February 1, 2010 11:40:05 PM

Remove all but 1 stick of Ram and see if it will post then - IF not remove that one and try another one - IF one of them works then go into BIos and check the Voltage and timing settings and save. Turn off the system and try the other sticks adding one at a time. - It doesn't need all 4 of them to fail in order to stop posting so it may just be any one of the sticks or it could be the settings.
February 1, 2010 11:46:19 PM

Also, when trying 1 module at a time, be sure to try different slots as well, trying them 1 at a time all in 1 slot could lead to a false positive.
February 2, 2010 12:07:16 AM

Tried it 1 stick at a time in each slot. As soon as I hit the power button the Mem led comes on and hangs there. :pfff: 

I don't have an option to get to bios. My monitors don't even get signal from my video card until after the mem check.

Also, I haven't changed any ram settings since I built it so the voltage should be the default "auto" setting of 1.6 volts.
a b V Motherboard
a b } Memory
February 2, 2010 2:48:01 AM

Try clearing the CMOS or removing the CMOS battery for a few minutes to reload the defaults and then test again.
February 2, 2010 9:49:29 AM

Pulled battery for 15 minutes and retested with no luck. :pfff: 

I am kinda leaning toward something giving out on motherboard since I am getting nothing out of it and what are the chances that 4 sticks of ram would go all at the same time.

Any other suggestions/ideas?

a b V Motherboard
a b } Memory
February 2, 2010 12:30:19 PM

Do you have a back up system or know anyone else that has a system you could try the ram in to see if it works in their system ??
February 2, 2010 3:46:01 PM

Thanks for the help BTW.

I have an older system but pretty sure it has different ram. I might have a friend that has a system to try my ram in.

Any reason you think it's the ram and not the motherboard? Is it common for 4 sticks of ram just crap out like this?
a b V Motherboard
a b } Memory
February 2, 2010 4:05:46 PM

Not sure it is the RAM but before going further and buying something it is best to rule it out !! (and much easier to test the RAM in another system than the MOBO !!)
February 5, 2010 11:25:37 AM

Update:

I couldn't find any ram to test in my board but I disconnected everything.... including hard drives, power cables, vid card and for the hell of it threw in 2 sticks of ram and it posted past the memory check. I popped the other 2 sticks in and still passed memory check and proceeded to put everything back in the machine and it booted. :heink: 

It was stable all day in windows xp and then I booted to my Win 7 drive and it hung on memory check again but when I cycled power it made it through. :pfff: 

I just don't get it.....it's rock solid stable when I am in windows but just have problems posting....

I plan on updating the bios to the newest version when I get home and grabbing memtest 86 and running that over night to rule out the memory.

I am wondering if it could be a power supply problem also.....
!