I5 2500k @ 4.3 ghz by only changing multiplier

zeus1356

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
Hey everyone,

This is my first overclock. I reviewed the sticky on how to overclock an i5 2500k.

Motherboard is Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3, and I have the coolermaster 212+ hyper, and 4 case fans.

I tried enabling and disabling all of the features listed in the sticky. Unfortunately Gigabyte doesn't have all of the same names as whatever motherboard he was using, so I was only able to modify about half.

After modifying the settings, I was able to increase the clock to 4.3 ghz. 4.4 would not boot. After scanning several other sites for information and tweaking more, I was no longer able to boot at 4.3 ghz.

I figured I did something wrong so I restored the optimal settings option in the BIOS and just changed the clock to 4.3 ghz.

So I have factory BIOS settings and just changed the clock. It's running fine for right now. But I would like the get it to 4.5 ghz.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Its your motherboard, it has a poor voltage regulation unit and the VRM's aren't cooled. Putting heatsinks on the VRM's may help, but you may have reached the motherboards OC limits. 4.3 ghz i5 2500k is plenty fast enough anyway, your not going to notice the difference with another 200mhz.

RJR

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
OK, we'll start with overclocking 101:

It's stable at 4.3Ghz with vcore still on auto.

What is your LOAD vcore (cpu-z open when running prime95)?
What is your LOAD temps(coretemp or realtemp open when running prime95 for at least 10 minutes) ?

zeus1356

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011

I just downloaded cpu-z and it says the "core voltage" is 1.056 V.

After running prime95 for about 20 minutes, my temp is 55 Celsius on the "package" of CPU temperatures, even though each core stays about 48 degrees in CPUID Hardware Monitor. Hardware Monitor also agrees with cpu-z that the vcore is 1.06 V.

I wasn't sure if that was the correct voltage since I thought voltages were usually around 1.3 V, so I checked a utility that came with my motherboard called EasyTune and it said my voltage is 1.284 V.

All of this information was gathered while running prime95.

RJR

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009

Well I just happen to know a bunch of Reviewers on overclocking web-sites, oh yeah I almost forgot I was one too, and some can't overclock to save their life.

True this wouldn't be my first choice for an overclocking board but most have been able to get around 4.6-4.7 Ghz out of it. The OP is looking for 4.5 Ghz, so it should be an obtainable goal with a little work.

Well if its worth persuing, you cant rule out that his particular CPU is no good, but its worth a try to do a BIOS update. But for decent overclocking, everything should be set manually, forget auto overclocking. I would be putting heatsinks on those VRM's though, would be to scared to blow them up.

zeus1356

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011

All of my motherboard drivers have been updated. I tried manually changing what I read should be enabled and disabled, but still had no luck. Whenever I pushed passed 4.3 ghz, my pc would reboot wight after the BIOS screen.

Now I changed to "optimal" stock settings now through resetting the BIOS, only modifying the multiplier to get to 4.3 ghz.

Temps usually dont exceed 50 degrees Celsius, is there still concern of my VRMs "blowing up"?

zeus1356

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011

Thanks for your optimism. I really hope I can reach that clock, even if it isn't a huge increase from 4.3 ghz performance wise. To me it just seems like the speed I should have given the cooling parts I purchased with my rig. However now I'm second guessing my choice in motherboard. But I did read of several people who got it to 4.5 ghz with this board.