Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Impossible 2600k

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
a b K Overclocking
October 6, 2011 12:17:23 AM

i cant seem to get my 2600k stable. i have a asrock z68 prom 3 board with two 4gb 1600mhz ram and a hyper 212+. my temps are fine at about 65* max but its my voltage that i am worried about. in the bios i have it set at 1.41 volts but in cpuz it shows around 1.432-1.44 volts at a 4.6 ghz overclock. i followed the guide on here about what to turn off and turned off everything they said except hyperthreading and it still bsod's.

so my main question is why the differences in voltage and is that too much voltage???

thanks in advance im sure you guys will have me pointed in the right direction.

More about : impossible 2600k

October 6, 2011 12:39:09 AM

It could just be your chip too, depends on what revision it is. Some are good overclockers some are not. You just have to find out what is the sweet spot for your exact chip.
Score
0
a b K Overclocking
October 6, 2011 1:06:16 AM

its a d2 but is that too much voltage thats my main key. its stable at 4.6 but at a higher voltage
Score
0
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
October 6, 2011 1:07:14 AM

cbrunnem said:
cpuz it shows around 1.432-1.44 volts at a 4.6 ghz overclock

so my main question is why the differences in voltage and is that too much voltage???

YES, way too much voltage for 4.6Ghz.
What is the LOAD vcore when running Prime95, and temps?
What setting for PWM (LLC, VRM frequency, phase control,current capability, etc.) ?
Score
0
a b K Overclocking
October 6, 2011 1:17:26 AM

Temps? That much voltage is going to make some heat. If the temps are high it will have problems.
Score
0
a b K Overclocking
October 6, 2011 1:38:19 AM

run your ram at 1333mhz, that may be your issue. The memory controller on the cpu is only rated for 1333.
Score
0
a b K Overclocking
October 6, 2011 1:44:08 AM

iam2thecrowe said:
run your ram at 1333mhz, that may be your issue. The memory controller on the cpu is only rated for 1333.

:o  ............................... :lol: 

Score
0
a b K Overclocking
October 6, 2011 2:43:33 AM

RJR said:
YES, way too much voltage for 4.6Ghz.
What is the LOAD vcore when running Prime95, and temps?
What setting for PWM (LLC, VRM frequency, phase control,current capability, etc.) ?

its a 500 watt corsair power supply im not sure what you mean by pwm
llc = level 1
vrm = not sure what that is as i can not find it in my bios
and i dont know where to find the rest.... i dont see them in my asrock bios.... please fill me in

4745454b said:
Temps? That much voltage is going to make some heat. If the temps are high it will have problems.


temps are as previously stated, 65* max running IBT at extreme and 8 threads.

iam2thecrowe said:
run your ram at 1333mhz, that may be your issue. The memory controller on the cpu is only rated for 1333.


already running at 1333 at 1.495 volts
Score
0
October 6, 2011 2:58:05 AM

I believe Asrock has an overclock utility which does all this for you, just choose the speed you want.
My gigabyte utility works flawlessly for overclocking.

Good Luck.
Score
0
a b K Overclocking
October 6, 2011 3:06:26 AM

billj214 said:
I believe Asrock has an overclock utility which does all this for you, just choose the speed you want.
My gigabyte utility works flawlessly for overclocking.

Good Luck.


your right it does and its incredibly stable but the voltage goes up to 1.46 volts??? is that too high.

i am basically getting at, how high can i set the vcore safely
Score
0
a b K Overclocking
October 6, 2011 3:19:13 AM

cbrunnem said:
your right it does and its incredibly stable but the voltage goes up to 1.46 volts??? is that too high.

i am basically getting at, how high can i set the vcore safely


OK, now we're getting somewhere.

STOP using the auto overclock utility and do it manually in the BIOS.

set the multiplier to 42x and set the vcore to 1.38v, LLC keep at level 1

set your memory to it's rated SPEED, TIMINGS and VOLTAGE

SAVE and exit, run Prime95 (all 8 threads BLEND) with cpu-z and coretemp open for 10 minutes

if it passes and your temps are still OK, change to 43x and continue.

Please post the LOAD vcore (from cpu-z) when Prime95 is running and temps.
Score
0
a b K Overclocking
October 6, 2011 3:47:01 AM

ok will do. but just to make it clear im not using the auto overclock im using manual and i have vcore set to 1.410 volts in the bios and the vcore set to fixed volts but it still goes up to 1.43-1.44ish under load.

doing what you said right now
Score
0
a b K Overclocking
October 6, 2011 4:04:11 AM

RJR said:
:o  ............................... :lol: 

what funny about that? when trying to get something stable you set everything else to stock to rule out that being the issue, you dont just overclock everything and then wonder why everything turns to poop and randomly change settings left right and centre. geez, some people......
Score
0
a b K Overclocking
October 6, 2011 4:15:38 AM

iam2thecrowe said:
what funny about that? when trying to get something stable you set everything else to stock to rule out that being the issue, you dont just overclock everything and then wonder why everything turns to poop and randomly change settings left right and centre. geez, some people......

Well you just keep telling people that setting their memory to 1600mhz instead of leaving it at the default 1333 mhz when it's 1600Mhz rated memory will cause stability problems because Intel's memory controller only supports 1333Mhz.

This is completely false.

If this was true you wouldn't see any memory above 1333Mhz because it wouldn't work on todays computers.
Score
0
a b K Overclocking
October 6, 2011 4:36:27 AM

42x 1.408 60* max
43x 1.408 60* max
44x 1.408 62* max
45x 1.408 62* max
46X 1.408 62* max

in hwmonitor the vcore went as high as 1.42 but everytime i looked it was at either 1.400 or 1.408 and 1.408 most of the time.

im also wondering if it could be because of me setting the ram voltage to 1.495 when adata states that its rated between 1.55 and 1.65. its set to 1.65 now but wasnt before.
Score
0
a b K Overclocking
October 6, 2011 4:58:23 AM

temps at 4.6 have gone up now and are at 72*max after about 1/2 hour and volts are sitting at 1.416 as reported by cpuz and temps by hwmonitor
Score
0
a b K Overclocking
October 6, 2011 5:07:35 AM

RJR said:
Well you just keep telling people that setting their memory to 1600mhz instead of leaving it at the default 1333 mhz when it's 1600Mhz rated memory will cause stability problems because Intel's memory controller only supports 1333Mhz.

This is completely false.

If this was true you wouldn't see any memory above 1333Mhz because it wouldn't work on todays computers.

your very naive to think such a thing. when overclocking and things become unstable you do the most basic things like getting anything else that is overclocked back to stock and focus on the thing you are trying to OC, then you can start on the memory or whatever else you want to OC. It's pretty much the number 1 rule of overclocking, or any PC troubleshooting, rule out all the simplest, most basic things first. i guess you havn't been overclocking/diagnosing PC problems for very long.
Score
0
a b K Overclocking
October 6, 2011 5:13:14 AM

blue screened at about 45 minutes...
anyone have an idea
Score
0
a b K Overclocking
October 6, 2011 5:14:58 AM

iam2thecrowe said:
your very naive to think such a thing. when overclocking and things become unstable you do the most basic things like getting anything else that is overclocked back to stock and focus on the thing you are trying to OC, then you can start on the memory or whatever else you want to OC. It's pretty much the number 1 rule of overclocking, or any PC troubleshooting, rule out all the simplest, most basic things first. i guess you havn't been overclocking/diagnosing PC problems for very long.


thats great and im on your side here but that doesnt help me because i already have my memory set at that speed.
how can we get my cpu more stable and answer my original question of is that to much vcore to be running
Score
0
a b K Overclocking
October 6, 2011 5:41:56 AM

i have done that already

thanks for all the help btw i wanted everyone to know that while we try to figure this out.
Score
0
a b K Overclocking
October 6, 2011 6:01:33 AM

Can you tell us what the BSOD error is??? have you checked that it doesnt BSOD under the same circumstances at stock clocks/voltage?
Score
0
a c 235 K Overclocking
October 6, 2011 10:45:13 AM

Your CPU voltage should be BIOS manually set in the 1.355v range for 46x.

45x > 1.325v
46x > 1.355v
47x > 1.385v
48x > 1.415v

Plus or minus for each voltage range.

However!

Quote:
in the bios i have it set at 1.41 volts


I suggest you learn what you're doing first and then do it, not ride down the road with your tail wagging out the window, crying help me! help me!

The reason we wrote the guides is for you to be able to accomplish these overclocks on your own, but some of the guides like mine, require you having basic overclock knowledge.

I'm not attempting to offend you, I'm trying to get you to realize you need to educate yourself first, to keep from destroying your hardware.

When you need help, the first thing you should do is list your exact hardware specs, brand and model#s, and the operating system you're running.

Quote:
i have a asrock z68 prom 3 board with two 4gb 1600mhz ram


That's not enough information to even begin to help you. Ryan



Score
0
a b K Overclocking
October 6, 2011 12:39:18 PM

4Ryan6 said:
Your CPU voltage should be BIOS manually set in the 1.355v range for 46x.

45x > 1.325v
46x > 1.355v
47x > 1.385v
48x > 1.415v

Plus or minus for each voltage range.

However!

Quote:
in the bios i have it set at 1.41 volts


I suggest you learn what you're doing first and then do it, not ride down the road with your tail wagging out the window, crying help me! help me!

The reason we wrote the guides is for you to be able to accomplish these overclocks on your own, but some of the guides like mine, require you having basic overclock knowledge.

I'm not attempting to offend you, I'm trying to get you to realize you need to educate yourself first, to keep from destroying your hardware.

When you need help, the first thing you should do is list your exact hardware specs, brand and model#s, and the operating system you're running.

Quote:
i have a asrock z68 prom 3 board with two 4gb 1600mhz ram


That's not enough information to even begin to help you. Ryan

mobo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
ram
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
psu
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
cpu
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
cooler
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

theres everything

i dont know why your coming at me for something i already stated.... it will not run at 1.355v stable it freezes at the welcome screen. the last error i got was a stop 0x124 i assume thats what all of them have been as that one has been the one the last two times.
Score
0
a b K Overclocking
October 6, 2011 12:44:27 PM

im wondering if this is just a bad chip... as i have been reading and some chips are obviously different then others and maybe this one is just a bad one. im still well within 30days to rma it.
Score
0
October 6, 2011 12:56:16 PM

its not bad, its probably just a different revision. Some revisions overclock better than others. To RMA something that silly in my opinion is stealing and that person should be shunned.
Score
0
a c 235 K Overclocking
October 6, 2011 1:04:25 PM

cbrunnem said:
mobo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
ram
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
psu
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
cpu
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
cooler
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

theres everything

i dont know why your coming at me for something i already stated.... it will not run at 1.355v stable it freezes at the welcome screen. the last error i got was a stop 0x124 i assume thats what all of them have been as that one has been the one the last two times.


9 times out of 10, you have BIOS settings causing that problem, your memory for example is definitely a problem, why would you buy memory with a voltage range of 1.55V - 1.75V, seeing as how the maximum memory voltage you should even consider running is 1.65v, 1.50v memory is what you should have bought

Quote:
Brand
ADATA

Series
XPG Gaming Series

Model
AX3U1600GC4G9-2G

Type
240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM

Tech Spec

Capacity
8GB (2 x 4GB)

Speed
DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

Cas Latency
9

Timing
9-9-9-24

Voltage
1.55V - 1.75V


With a DDR3 voltage range that broad how are you possibly going to know what to set it at?

That's one of your stability problems right there.

You'd have to start your overclocking adventure running Memtest to be assured of memory stability, and that stability may very well change as you raise the CPUs multiplier.

Without solid numbers to enter you have no clue what DDR3 voltage is stable.

Here's my memory suggestion for you;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231468

Why? Besides it being on sale right now? $10.00 difference Maybe RMA?

Because it's specifically Sandy Bridge CPU tested and approved for the Z68/P67 platforms it's 1.50v DDR3 8G 2 x 4G 2133mhz and it will actually run 2133mhz at 5.1ghz 2500K overclock.

The Adata memory you bought is not Sandy Bridge tested and approved.
Score
0
a b K Overclocking
October 6, 2011 1:50:17 PM

i was looking at 1.5v ram and thought i had bought that but when i recieved it i realized the problem but had read several people say it wasnt a problem to run it at those volts.
Score
0
a c 235 K Overclocking
October 6, 2011 1:51:43 PM

cbrunnem said:
already running at 1333 at 1.495 volts


im also wondering if it could be because of me setting the ram voltage to 1.495 when adata states that its rated between 1.55 and 1.65. its set to 1.65 now but wasnt before.


When you were trying to boot to the lower Vcore voltages you were running your memory below it's rated minimum voltage?

And you expected that to work,Why?

It requires 1.55v and you weren't even giving it 1.50v, so if you give it the proper minimum 1.55v DDR3 slot voltage, would you reason out it may very well boot using the lower Vcore suggestions, that's why I said you probably have BIOS settings messing you up.
Score
0
a b K Overclocking
October 6, 2011 1:52:49 PM

ill test the rams stability but in the mean time can someone tell me the max safe voltage for a 24/7 overclock.
Score
0
a b K Overclocking
October 6, 2011 2:01:26 PM

i have set it at 1.65 volts for all the results i have posted here.
Score
0
a c 235 K Overclocking
October 6, 2011 2:08:04 PM

Quote:
High quality 6 layers PCB (Printed Circuit Board)
Backward compatible with DDR3-1333 and DDR3-1066
Optimized for 64-bit OS (operating system)
Test at latency settings 9-9-9-24 at 1.55V-1.75V
SPD (Serial Presence Detect) programmed at JEDEC standard DDR3-1333 with latency settings at 9-9-9-24 for basic system booting


It's kinda unusual the way Adata covers itself voltage wise regarding that memory, claiming it to be 1600mhz it may very well take 1.75v to remain stable at 1600mhz and you cannot run the DDR3 voltage that high or risk major damage to the CPU and possibly motherboard, which could actually give you a legal RMA stand with Newegg.

I would like for you to try this, set these settings manually for a test and let me know if it will boot.
Set the multiplier to 45x
Set LLC to level 1
Set Vcore voltage as Fixed and at 1.325v
Set DDR3 voltage to 1.55v
Set DDR3 speed to 1333 with timings of 9-9-9-24 >2T

Try that and see if it will boot to the desktop?
Score
0
a c 235 K Overclocking
October 6, 2011 2:20:24 PM

cbrunnem said:
i am basically getting at, how high can i set the vcore safely


Intels maximum tested Vcore is 1.520v, what you can safely run 24/7 is in direct relation to where your temps are going with the cooling solution you're running, with an air cooler I would suggest the 1.40v range is 24/7 safe, however that is not set in stone.

The quality of the CPU, some air coolers even of the same brand and type cool better than others, motherboards clock differently, memory etc. all affect a 24/7 stable outcome.

The end user has to determine what is acceptable regarding the temperatures reached under loads.

But for you to venture above the 1.40v range for 24/7 stability you need some really good cooling.
Score
0
a b K Overclocking
October 6, 2011 8:25:13 PM

4Ryan6 said:
Quote:
High quality 6 layers PCB (Printed Circuit Board)
Backward compatible with DDR3-1333 and DDR3-1066
Optimized for 64-bit OS (operating system)
Test at latency settings 9-9-9-24 at 1.55V-1.75V
SPD (Serial Presence Detect) programmed at JEDEC standard DDR3-1333 with latency settings at 9-9-9-24 for basic system booting


It's kinda unusual the way Adata covers itself voltage wise regarding that memory, claiming it to be 1600mhz it may very well take 1.75v to remain stable at 1600mhz and you cannot run the DDR3 voltage that high or risk major damage to the CPU and possibly motherboard, which could actually give you a legal RMA stand with Newegg.

I would like for you to try this, set these settings manually for a test and let me know if it will boot.
Set the multiplier to 45x
Set LLC to level 1
Set Vcore voltage as Fixed and at 1.325v
Set DDR3 voltage to 1.55v
Set DDR3 speed to 1333 with timings of 9-9-9-24 >2T

Try that and see if it will boot to the desktop?


it did not boot. i loaded past start windows normally then froze then blue screened with a stop 124 error

i can run it thru prime for 2 hours at 45x at 1.375 volts as displayed by cpuz though
Score
0
a b K Overclocking
October 6, 2011 10:43:47 PM

so maybe 4.5 is my max speed.... if that is it then what could be the hold up the board or the chip.? is it abnormal for the board to be fixed at one voltage but supply another? cause mine seems offset by .02volts
Score
0
a c 235 K Overclocking
October 7, 2011 3:35:51 AM

cbrunnem said:
it did not boot. i loaded past start windows normally then froze then blue screened with a stop 124 error

i can run it thru prime for 2 hours at 45x at 1.375 volts as displayed by cpuz though


Sorry I couldn't get back to you sooner I had to go to my ophthalmologist and they dilated my eyes, I just now can read the monitor screen.

OK the test did not boot so try again with the same exact settings I gave you to try and drop the memory speed to 1066 and try booting at 1.325 Vcore again, leave the timings and everything else I listed for you to test the same only change the memory speed.

Quote:
I would like for you to try this, set these settings manually for a test and let me know if it will boot.
Set the multiplier to 45x
Set LLC to level 1
Set Vcore voltage as Fixed and at 1.325v
Set DDR3 voltage to 1.55v
Set DDR3 speed to 1333 change to 1066 with timings of 9-9-9-24 >2T

Try that and see if it will boot to the desktop?


The total purpose of this testing is to try and establish a relation to your set DDR3 voltage vs speed stabilities relation to Vcore, if 1066 speed at 1.325v CPU voltage fails to boot to desktop then use exactly the same settings and drop the memory speed to 800 and try it again.

With your memories voltage range being from 1.55V-1.75V and it not actually being Sandy Bridge approved memory if you cannot find a stable boot at a lower acceptable Vcore, you have purchased the wrong memory for your platform and you need to contact Newegg to get that memory replaced for suitable tested Sandy Bridge capable memory.

All you need to tell Newegg is you accidentally bought the wrong memory for your Sandy Bridge setup because you cannot run the higher voltage required to run the memories rated speeds.

I stand by my first memory replacement suggestion to you as having dependable and solid memory is going to mean everything to you in reaching stable overclocks.
Score
0
a c 235 K Overclocking
October 7, 2011 3:45:12 AM

@ iam2thecrowe and RJR I want you two to take your argument issues out of this thread until I can resolve the memory problem with cbrunnem, your last posts are not visible to THGF regular users, but are visible to the moderation team and administration! 4ryan6
Score
0
a c 235 K Overclocking
October 7, 2011 4:14:49 AM

Better yet cbrunnem to avoid ending up banning someone from THGF I am closing this thread, PM your results to me regarding your testing.

I am 100% recommending you RMA that memory to Newegg and get it replaced for Sandy Bridge tested memory for the P67 and Z68 motherboards.
Score
0
!