Sign in with
Your question

I2500k OC question

Last response: in Overclocking
October 6, 2011 6:11:56 AM

hey guys, im looking to over clock my i2500k to around 4.5ghz. i read on the giant sticky that u can achieve arou nd this by only changing the multiplyier. although when i change it, in cpuz it says its multiplyier is only x16.

any ideas?

Im running a:
- intel i5 2500k
- asrock p67 extreme 4 motherboard
- cm storm scout case (with extra 40m fan on the side window)
- antec current gamer 750 power supply
- coolermaster 212 + cpu cooler

More about : i2500k question

October 6, 2011 7:11:11 AM

cheapshots said:
hey guys, im looking to over clock my i2500k to around 4.5ghz. i read on the giant sticky that u can achieve arou nd this by only changing the multiplyier. although when i change it, in cpuz it says its multiplyier is only x16.

any ideas?

Im running a:
- intel i5 2500k

ok i think i figured it out. it goes up to 4.5 when its being used, not on idle. i did the auto overclocking that can with the bios and just pput i to 4ghz for the moment.

will 4.5 with just changing the multiplier be fine?
m
l
October 6, 2011 7:33:02 AM

and increasing the core voltage if you get BSOD's or failure to boot.
but increasing voltage quickly increases the cpu temps so keep that in mind.
and keep the PCI-e speeds to fixed 100mhz or the gpu will get crapped.
m
l
Related resources
October 6, 2011 7:33:21 AM

I did some intense tweaking to get mine to 4.75 Ghz.
To get it to 4.5 Ghz is all I did was change the multiplier to 45. It was silly easy.
You have a decent PSU, case, cooler, and mobo. You should have no problem taking it to 4.5 Ghz.
m
l
October 6, 2011 7:45:35 AM

cheapshots said:
ok i think i figured it out. it goes up to 4.5 when its being used, not on idle. i did the auto overclocking that can with the bios and just pput i to 4ghz for the moment.

will 4.5 with just changing the multiplier be fine?

You could probably get 4.5GHZ simply by changing the multiplier and letting the Mobo's auto OC functions do it all for you. However I would suggest you bone up on some of the info that is around on OC'ing and work out how to fine tune your machine.

The reason I suggest this is because you will probably be able to achieve your OC with a lower vcore voltage doing it manually, thus lowering the operating temps when under load. I believe that lower vcore and lower temps are likely to add up to longer CPU life.

Cheers Lex
m
l
October 6, 2011 7:58:06 AM

ok cheers guys, i think i changed it to 45x and in cpuz i saw it on 16 so i didnt think it worked, but then later realised it needed to go under load to go up on cpuz. so ill change that klater. i did have some problems starting up when trying to manually change stuff after a while. got stuck on windows flag loading screen thing (window 7 64)

but thanks
m
l
October 6, 2011 8:08:01 AM

If you are considering Oc'ing manually.. work out which way you are going to go.. either fixed core voltage... or offset voltage.... I use offset voltage and if you like can send you some starter figures.
m
l
October 6, 2011 8:18:51 AM

what is really the difference? ill see if i can just change the multiplyer as that hsould work
m
l
October 6, 2011 11:26:58 AM

ok i changed the multiplier to 45. seems working. though im on burn test program and under "multiplier" it has x33.0 {turbo x45.0) does that means its fine? or do i need to disable turbo or something?

thanks for your help
m
l
October 6, 2011 8:14:26 PM

I would up the vcore a little. there is not enough voltage getting to the CPU to enable it to perform @4.5Ghz under the test load, so intel speed step is dropping the speed of the processor back to match the available core voltage.. thats my guess..I went throught that when trying settings for my machine.

Before you up the vcore..please post on here what your vcore voltage is when running the 45x multiplier under load.
m
l
October 6, 2011 9:03:21 PM

ok, cpuid monitor tells me min is .96v and max is 1.28 tho thats basically without playing any games (do i need to test that?), or do i just see what it says in my bios?
seems to idle on .98
ok i read ur question again :)  and when playing bf3 it shifts between 1.3 and 1.31
m
l
October 6, 2011 11:59:42 PM

I'm running 4.8GHz with a pre-loaded profile on my AsRock p67 Extreme4 Gen3 motherboard. Idle voltage is 1.07v and load voltage is 1.40v. Idle temps are low 30c across 4 cores. 100% load temps rise to 70c. But, while gaming, temps are usually high 50c to low 60c.

Try running Prime95 to see what temps/voltage you get at 100% load.
m
l
October 7, 2011 6:47:13 AM

ja3s said:
I'm running 4.8GHz with a pre-loaded profile on my AsRock p67 Extreme4 Gen3 motherboard. Idle voltage is 1.07v and load voltage is 1.40v. Idle temps are low 30c across 4 cores. 100% load temps rise to 70c. But, while gaming, temps are usually high 50c to low 60c.

Try running Prime95 to see what temps/voltage you get at 100% load.

Hi ja3s - you must have pretty good airflow to get those temps.. iwas getting into the 80's on air, which is why i went to LQC solution.

@ cheapshots ja3s is right - use prime 95. I would also say that at the 1.30->1.31vcore you should be getting close to a stable 4.5Ghz. Intel SST needs to be turned off... your com will still OC and then drop back to idle speeds when not under load, you just won't get half way house like 3.3Ghz you reported earlier.

If you are getting errors on prime then you will need to slowly increase Vcore until you can run prime without errors. I think from my experience a vcore figure of 1.320v got me prime stable @45x

To get low vcore at idle you will need to use offset method.... If you do not care about the voltage at idle then you will use fixed volt method.

CAVEAT: IF YOU OC YOUR CPU AND SUSTAIN DAMAGE TO YOUR MACHINE AS A RESULT, IT IS ALL ON YOU. I AM TALKING TO YOU ABOUT WHAT I HAVE DONE AND NOT WHAT I RECOMMEND THAT YOU DO
m
l
October 18, 2011 2:40:36 AM

ok im using prime95 now, and i changed my voltage to fixed and to 1.32 (as i didnt understand the offset mode) and heres a screenshot of whats happening

alothough this was using the 1st small test

m
l
a c 103 à CPUs
a c 239 K Overclocking
October 18, 2011 3:44:19 PM

Quote:
4.5GHZ is easily acheivable with 1.3volts.
This is the voltage i used and 1.340 for 4.7ghz.
I have had my i5 all the way up to 5.1 with 1.4875 volts!

5.1 Nice! :) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 14, 2012 4:51:52 AM

cheapshots said:

any ideas?

Im running a:
- intel i5 2500k

It means the overclock didn"t happen. Why? because you did not increase the CPU vCore.
m
l
!