Does new Toshiba have spyware on it?

Brand new A45-S151. Every 3 minutes (exactly) my router logs:

20:01:56 TCP from 192.168.1.101:3047 to www.toshibapc.com(216.23.181.206):80

Is this spyware? Or is laptop trying to get some kind of update? Is there any
way to turn this off? I've looked all over the net and have not found a thing
about it.

Thanks,
Al
5 answers Last reply
More about does toshiba spyware

    Look for a Toshiba program on your system called Pinger. It checks for
    updates, and is harmless. You can delete it without hurting anything.

    "A-B C." <atakeoutcanton@adams-blaketakeout.com> wrote in message
    > Brand new A45-S151. Every 3 minutes (exactly) my router logs:
    >
    > 20:01:56 TCP from 192.168.1.101:3047 to
    www.toshibapc.com(216.23.181.206):80

    > Is this spyware? Or is laptop trying to get some kind of update? Is there
    any
    > way to turn this off? I've looked all over the net and have not found a
    thing
    > about it.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Al

    I remember getting a pop-up on my Toshiba asking me whether I would
    like to get patches and upgrades automatically from Toshiba site OR if
    I would like to perform this check manually. I turned off the auto
    check and chose to go the manual route. Not sure where this option can
    be switched on or off but just wanted to let you know that you can
    switch it off.

    Maybe you can also try going to START --> RUN --> msconfig. Go to
    startup tab and uncheck anything that looks fishy to you.

    You also might want to download the FREE Ad-Aware and run it
    periodically to weed out any spyware.

    Best of Luck !!

    On 11 May 2004 08:36:11 -0700, Kamal <kamald2002@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > You also might want to download the FREE Ad-Aware and run it
    > periodically to weed out any spyware.

    You could also try Spybot Search and Destroy:

    http://download.com.com/3000-2144-10194058.html?tag=lst-0-1

    My Toshiba (about a year old) had a number of interesting doodads- including
    the Toshiba pinger, which liked to call home every 5 mins or so. Most of
    these annoyances can be qwelled either through msconfig or with a startup
    manager.

    gilbert grape wrote:

    > My Toshiba (about a year old) had a number of interesting doodads- including
    > the Toshiba pinger, which liked to call home every 5 mins or so.

    Yeah. It's pinger.exe. Did some research on this and found that it is
    harmless. Still, it would be nice if Toshiba made some mention of it
    somewhere.... or that their tech support people might know. Last time I buy
    one of their products.

    Al

Laptops Spyware Toshiba