Best CPU fan for i5 2500k overclocked to 4.0-4.5 GHz

G

Hello, I'm planning to overclock i5 2500k to 4.0, maybe 4.5 GHz and I'm wondering is CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus enough or do I need better CPU fan?

I have older case that has two 92mm fans (front and back) and one 80mm fan (side), if that makes any difference.

Would I be better of with Scythe Yasya or Zalman Performa/Quiet?

How high temperatures under load can I expect with each fan?

Cheers.

G

Thermaltake Frio is out of my price range, unfortunately.

After more research, I've come across Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B and Scythe Mine 2. How do those compare to Zalman Quiet?

Most reviews say Mine 2 is better than Mugen 2 so I'm in a dilemma between Mine 2 and Quiet.

mrmaia

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011

Well the Frio is only 10 bucks more than the Quiet, so it's not that badly out of budget.

The Zalman Quiet outperforms both Scythes, but between the Zalman Quiet and the Extreme I'd get the Extreme - although it is out of your bucket for $10, the investment should prove to be worth it - as the Extreme proves to be as quiet as the Quiet on lower fan speeds.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/zalman-cnps-10x-quiet-and-extreme-review/

G

Zalman Extreme an Thermaltake Frio are both around $15 more expensive than Zalman Quiet (and even more expensive than Scythe Mine 2 and Mugen 2) which is kind of a big deal because it seems like I'm going to have to buy new case as well which is unplanned expense. Total is around $950 now and sadly, that would be probably below $750 or even $700 if I were buying on NewEgg.

So now I'm deciding between Zalman Quiet and Scythe Mine 2. I found great reviews for both, but I can't find any comparison of the two. Where did you read that Quiet outperforms Mine 2?

mrmaia

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011

Ok, so if you want to save that $15 you can do it.

I read it here - http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2497&page=5

The Quiet outperforms Mine in its proverbial ass at high speed. Loses though in the noise area.