Overload protection means that if the PSU detects a large spike in current, aka a short, or it exceeds its rated current rating it will shut off. Over voltage protection means that if something bad happens and the voltage starts to go out of spec, say your 12V rail hits 12.5V, it will shut off the PSU automatically to protect the components. Any halfway decent PSU should have both of those, particularly overload protection.

If you fry an 850TX then you are doing something horribly wrong and any damage that its dying breaths do the components will be minimal compared what you must have done to the system in order to get the 850TX to fry. But whether or not a PSU dies with a bang or a wimper really depends what goes, but with a corsair PSU, good luck killing it in the first place.

computernewbie

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
Thank you for the congradulation, should i be quite proud of frying a corsair PSU? haha...Its easier than you think, actually, just buy a shitty extension block that can only support 15A, plug in the 850TX and your monitor and BAM, computer doesent turn on....

Actually there was no bang or wimper, it simply did not turn on

You sure you got everything hooked up right? You shouldnt be pulling more than 10 amps even at max load, your average household breaker trips at 15 amps. If you hadnt tested it prior to using that extension block make sure that everything is hooked up properly, and try using the paper clip technique to jump start it. You may have gotten shipped a dead one.

computernewbie

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
it was shipped good, i just fried it and im getting a replacement after i send it, whats the paper clip technique? And when i meant extension block its the blocks with like 5-6 plugs in, plugged in my computer, monitor, lamp, monitor + lamp worked fine, computer wouldent turn on

I just went back to test if i was 100% sure the PSU was fried, plugged in MB and nothing works, i have another PSU to test and its not a faulty MB

If the PSU is working properly, it will shut down. If the PSU is not working properly, all bets are off.

If a failure occurs in the input circuits, at the worst, you will trip the AC circuit breaker. If the failure occurs in the output circuits (the 3.3, 5 and, 12 volt power circuits), the PSU should electronically shut down. If the failure occurs in the middle (the power oscillator or voltage and current monitoring circuits), who knows what will happen.