Help with homebuilt PC

reflex1337

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
Ok a few weeks ago i got finished building a PC and it wouldn't boot up so i went to Fry's Repair shop and they gave me a new motherboard because the one that i had was defective. What happens when i flip the switch theres nothing, no booting of any sort.

Here are my specs.

Core 2 Quad q8400
Gigabyte G41M-ES2L
4GB kingston ram
450W power supply
GTS 250 (Not in when i tried to boot up)
Coolermaster Hyper TX3
500GB HDD

Define "tried". So you're 100% sure the CPU power connector is plugged in in addition to the main 24-pin connector? Did you try each stick of RAM by itself in the first RAM slot? Did you breadboard the system to eliminate a short as the problem?

What 450W PSU do you have? Is the 6-pin PCI-E power connector plugged into the GPU?

jtmoney528

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009
We need a little more info besides it will not boot up, and I "tried" does not tell us what you actually "tried". Any noises? Fans running? Lights? Your experience with building computers? Is this your first? A picture of your motherboard would be great to make sure you have everything connected correctly.

A picture of your setup(breadboarded is preferable as it prevents case obstructing the view. Knowing exactly what parts are in there also helps us figure out what parts may be the issue, if your PSU isnt a good brand it may be DOA, even then it may still be DOA.

daship if you arent going to help stay out of it.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
Way to help a newcomer, people.... Maybe this is becoming like some kind of gang, and one now needs to get raped by every member to join?

Jeesh... Tom's has been going downhill for a long time now, but this thread has hit a new low.