HDD blue screens/S.M.A.R.T failure

whoisme555

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
I was having some hard drive issues with my year old f3 spinpoint. There was a lot of junk on it and I was already browsing for an SSD anyways so I wasn't heart broken with replacing it, but I still have questions about it. I'm unsure whether it's worth keeping in my computer or not, considering the windows event log told me that there was an HDD S.M.A.R.T failure some time ago. Since then, I completely wiped the drive and installed the OS on my new SSD and installed most of the games on my 3rd hard drive- a WD Black 1tb.

The hard drive worked for the most part, but some odd failures and the occasional blue screen caused a little bit of a trust issue between me and the drive. Should I trash the f3 spinpoint or is it still fine to use now that I wiped it?

Solution
You can use HDTune or Smartfan to view SMART values, especially reallocated sectors and current pending sectors. If the values are high, just get rid of it.

If you want to continue to use the drive, just keep monitoring these numbers and see if they are incrementing. If they are, the drive is getting worse. If not, it may be stable for now, but it will depend on how much you can trust the drive.
You can use HDTune or Smartfan to view SMART values, especially reallocated sectors and current pending sectors. If the values are high, just get rid of it.

If you want to continue to use the drive, just keep monitoring these numbers and see if they are incrementing. If they are, the drive is getting worse. If not, it may be stable for now, but it will depend on how much you can trust the drive.

Solution