Wireless PC Cards

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
May 8, 2004 5:49:48 AM

All the brands that i've seen for wireless cards require windows 98 or
higher. Why won't they work under Win95?

Thanks Bob

More about : wireless cards

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
May 8, 2004 7:16:20 AM

"Bob" <bobdawn1@verizon.net> wrote in message
> All the brands that i've seen for wireless cards require windows 98 or
> higher. Why won't they work under Win95?
>
> Thanks Bob

It is likely they simply have not written the drivers for that O/S. Also,
some of the cards use a USB interface in them. (PC card - USB- wireless
device.) Win95 did not support USB and thus will not support their cards.
So, I suggest you upgrade your laptop to at least Win98SE.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
May 8, 2004 8:39:14 AM

Someone else will probably chime in with more accurate info, but I'm
guessing that Win95 only supported the old PCMCIA standard rather than the
PC Card bus standard. Most of the wireless cards use the PC Card standard.
There used to be one wireless cards that worked in 16 bit PCMCIA card
sockets, but I can't remember who it was. I had a Pentium II laptop running
Win98 that I had trouble finding the right card for--I can't imagine trying
to get one to work with Win95.

"Bob" <bobdawn1@verizon.net> wrote in message
> All the brands that i've seen for wireless cards require windows 98 or
> higher. Why won't they work under Win95?
>
> Thanks Bob

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
May 8, 2004 8:39:15 AM

Joe Davis wrote:
> Someone else will probably chime in with more accurate info,
> but I'm guessing that Win95 only supported the old PCMCIA
> standard rather than the PC Card bus standard. Most of the
> wireless cards use the PC Card standard.

OK, I'll chime in. :-) No offense, but all of the above is wrong.

PCMCIA (www.pcmcia.org) is the name of the industry association that
standardized the PC Card format. The cards themselves were originally known
as PCMCIA cards, but the name was changed later to PC Card.

Whether you call them PCMCIA cards or PC Cards, the term refers to both the
original 16-bit cards and the newer 32-bit CardBus cards.

The CardBus standard was published in February 1995, and Windows 95
supported both 16-bit PC Cards and 32-bit CardBus PC Cards. My ThinkPad 600
originally came with Windows 95, and I used a variety of both 16-bit and
32-bit cards in it.

> There used to be one wireless cards that worked in 16 bit
> PCMCIA card sockets, but I can't remember who it was.
> I had a Pentium II laptop running Win98 that I had
> trouble finding the right card for--I can't imagine trying
> to get one to work with Win95.

Many of the early wireless cards were 16-bit PC Cards, and some are still in
production. The original ORiNOCO (previously known as Lucent WaveLAN) cards
were 16-bit PC Cards, and Lucent/ORiNOCO did provide Win95 drivers for them.
The newer ORiNOCO cards do not support Win95, but Proxim (who bought the
ORiNOCO line) still sells the original card, now known as the ORiNOCO
Classic Gold.

You can find also find the cards on eBay. They won't usually be listed as
ORiNOCO Classic Gold, but simply as ORiNOCO Gold cards. Search for "orinoco
gold" (without the quotes), and check the description to make sure it is the
original version of the card that supports Win95. If there's a photo of the
card, compare it with the one on this page:

http://www.proxim.com/learn/library/datasheets/gold_pcc...

The label will be different, but the card itself should look the same. You
can download the drivers from www.proxim.com.

This card does happen to be a 16-bit PC Card, not a 32-bit CardBus card, but
that's not the reason it works with Win95--it's simply because they made
Win95 drivers for it.

-Mike
!