Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How to clone Hard drive to USB external partition storage

Last response: in Storage
May 25, 2011 10:13:20 PM

I have 2 TB External USB HD and I made 4 different size partition on it with ! TB extra and I want to colon 4 different HD from 4 different computers into those partitions. Can I do that. Please help.
Thanks

More about : clone hard drive usb external partition storage

a c 104 G Storage
May 25, 2011 11:00:38 PM

Hi there,

When you clone a drive, it copies sector by sector everything on that drive to another drive. It doesn't make any difference if you have 1 or several partitions on the drive, it will clone everything over to the new drive and overwrite everything on the target drive. Some data transfer programs will proportion the partition sizes to match the size of the target drive. But you can't clone just a partition, it clones the physical drive.

You can image a partition of one drive to another for storage or backUp, like the Win-7 builtIn imaging applet does automatically.

Or you can BackUp Files, or Folders, or a whole drive to another, either uncompressed or compressed.

One good source to understand the differences is to download the Acronic True Image 2011 Manual to read or review
Here is the link to download it.

http://www.acronis.com/support/documentation/index.html

Hope that's helpful
m
l
a b G Storage
May 26, 2011 3:58:21 PM

Clonezilla.org will do this and it's free.
m
l
Related resources
a c 386 G Storage
May 26, 2011 4:19:28 PM

You need to be a little more specific. You can put the one .img file on each destination partition, but as john_vankirk stated, you can't restore an image file to a partition, but have to select a drive to restore to.
m
l
June 6, 2011 8:03:06 PM

BGGW said:
I have 2 TB External USB HD and I made 4 different size partition on it with ! TB extra and I want to colon 4 different HD from 4 different computers into those partitions. Can I do that. Please help.
Thanks

Good morning. I believe that both answers from Mr. John_Vankirk and Mr. or Ms. Hello2012 are both valid. What Mr. John said is very correct and true since I experienced it myself but it was not what I asked for . On the other hand answer of hello2012 works fine and I tried it and it is fine. I do not know which one I have to pick as the best answer since each has a valid points but hello2012 answered my question. Thanks to both of them and also your website.
My Best Regards to all
BG Ebrahimi
m
l

Best solution

June 7, 2011 5:14:12 AM

I see that the OP's question has been answered. I just thought to add my $0.02. I've two 1 TB HDDs in my Desktop and I've 80 GB partitions in each of them. I image HDD1 80 GB (Windows C: partition) to HDD2 80 GB (Windows backup partition) once in a while using the free software MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition. It works for 64 bit OS also. Make a bootable disk with the ISO image of the software and you can do all the things by booting with the CD in GUI click-click

http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.h...

P.S: This website and form is awesome. My first post here after on and off visits spread over several years.
June 7, 2011 5:15:46 PM

Best answer selected by BGGW.
m
l
June 7, 2011 5:16:54 PM

Thank you and I will use it.
m
l
!