Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Which CPU temperature utility is correct?!?!

Last response: in CPUs
November 6, 2009 1:28:24 AM

Hi Everyone,

I have a Core 2 Quad, Q6600 running at stock clock. I've been trying to figure out what temperature I'm running at and all I've done is confused myself. Each program shows something different.

Can anyone tell me which one I should be taking note of?
Thanks! :pt1cable: 

Check this image:

a b à CPUs
November 6, 2009 1:42:09 AM

Technically all are correct in their own way.

Each one is taking a temp from a different source on the chip and/or using a different method of calculating it.
m
l
November 6, 2009 1:45:44 AM

TheViper,
Thanks!

I had a suspicion that someone would say that!

I guess what I'm asking is which one should I take note of. Which one would you take note of if you were wanting to avoid any overheating?

Common (safe) sense says "The highest one!", but I want to be realistic.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
November 6, 2009 1:47:22 AM

I usually go with the highest or most reasonable seeming one. Also, HWMonitor seems pretty accurate for me a lot. But, unless you physically measure the chip temp, you can't be sure as they can be miscalibrated/mislabeled.

Edit: for what you posted, I'd probably go with the HWMonitor readings.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 6, 2009 2:16:54 AM

Gor said:
TheViper,
Thanks!

I had a suspicion that someone would say that!

I guess what I'm asking is which one should I take note of. Which one would you take note of if you were wanting to avoid any overheating?

Common (safe) sense says "The highest one!", but I want to be realistic.

That's in all honesty the best way to go. It's a potential err on the side of caution.

Also, if you compare your temps to others, be sure you are comparing with the same program. I know that's rather obvious but consider it another err on the side of caution, lol.

Also, check out Speed Fan and Intel Thermal Analysis Tool for more temp monitoring fun.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 6, 2009 2:45:03 AM

Gor,

Before this thread becomes a thermal train wreck, let's get our facts straight. There are two different Q6600's; B3 Stepping and G0 Stepping, each of which have different Thermal Specifications. Since Core Temp is showing B3, please confirm this by running CPU-Z, then I'll explain which temperatures are correct, and why.

Comp :sol: 
m
l
November 6, 2009 12:39:30 PM

CompuTronix said:
Gor,

Before this thread becomes a thermal train wreck, let's get our facts straight. There are two different Q6600's; B3 Stepping and G0 Stepping, each of which have different Thermal Specifications. Since Core Temp is showing B3, please confirm this by running CPU-Z, then I'll explain which temperatures are correct, and why.

Hi Comp,

It definitely is B3 Stepping (SL9UM)
http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL9...

Thanks!
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
November 6, 2009 1:03:02 PM

Gor,

The Q6600 B3 is a pair of E6600 B2's. At last years' IDF 2008, Intel finally confirmed that Tjunction Max is 90c for these processors.

Real Temp is correct, which uses Tjunction Max 90c. This can be seen if you click on "Settings" and look at "Set TJ Max".

Core Temp is using Tjunction Max 85c, which doesn't comply with Intel.

Hardware Monitor is mistakenly using Tjunction Max 100c, which is for the Q6600 G0.

The Q6600 G0 is a pair of E6850 G0's.

November 6, 2009 2:27:22 PM

Thank you!
Very concise information.
m
l
!