Hello. I’m new to the site and am hoping some of you will be able to help me with my next computer build I am planning.
I built my first computer a couple of years back and I want to transfer as many components as possible to ensure my costs are kept down. This is what I have at the moment:
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (2.4GHz | FSB 1066 |4MB Cache)
Motherboard: ASRock CONROEXFIRE-ESATA2 945P PCI-E 7.1 Channel Audio ATX
Memory: GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) PC2-6400 C5 800MHz Value DDR2 Dual Channel
Hard Drive: Western Digital WD5000KS 500GB SATA II 7200RPM 16MB Cache
Graphics Card: XFX 7900GS 256MB Dual DVI TV Out PCI-E
DVD Drive: LG GDR-8164BL 16x52 DVD-ROM
DVD-RW Drive: Liteon LH-20A 1H-487C 20x DVD-RW/DL Lightscribe
Power Supply: Hiper 580W Type-R Modular
Operating Software: Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate 64Bit
I am a video editor and have just started using Adobe’s Creative Suite CS4 and my old computer is struggling. Especially now I’ve started editing HD content. I don’t play games so don’t need my new build to deal with that. I basically want me new build to be paceier.
The main things I want help with are as follows:
1) Does the CPU need updating and which new one to get?
2) Do I need to update my Graphics card? And again which one to get if I need to?
3) What cooling will I need if any extra at all? I have the following case: http://www.eclipsecomputers.com/product.aspx?code=CAJ-JNM218&af=50
4) As regards to the motherboard it has to be a mATX for the above case. Which one should I get? I was thinking ASUS for the easy BIOS setting capabilities? Is that the best?
5) Do I have to worry about RAM latency etc? Was thinking of getting bog standard 4GB RAM. Is this a good idea?
I don’t want to break the bank with my new build and my update budget is probably around £400. Thanks for any help you guys can give. I look forward to hearing your suggestions. (I filled in the template as well which may help)
You will need a quad core CPU, you can get a much better one by going with AMD as an i7 is out of your price range. Get 4GB of CL7 DDR3 1333 or 1600 unless you are using 64 bit OS you wont be able to use more than 3.2GB of ram, if you are using a 64 bit OS and CS4 64 bit get 8 GB of ram as it will make stuff run smoother.
You can just carry the GPU over, it should be plenty for what you are doing.
Thanks for that. I was wondering about the GPU as heard contrasting reports about whether what I had was powerful enough to render stuff. Also do you know a decent microATX motherboard that is capable of 8GB of RAM. I am using Vista 64-Bit by the way.
Yes a Phenom II x4 945, 955, 965 would work. A C2Q would work as well, however they are not usually recommended because the 775 socket that they use is at the end of it's life and will not be upgradeable...