Can this disk be recovered?

Meganano

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
I installed a trial version of Acronis 2011 and attempted a backup to my removable 1 TB hd," g:". I got an error message indicating the backup had failed. A couple of minutes later the g: drive disappeared from Explorer. In it's place was "System Reserved f: 100 MB" . The rest of that disk is "Unallocated". Acronis tells me the data on that disk is gone (there can't be any files in unallocated space). I'm seeking a 2nd opinion.

carymon

Distinguished
May 25, 2011
You might try System Rescue which is a linux distro live recovery cd. It's able to mount nearly anything including partitions on drives with bad boot sectors. You can also scp the entire drive to a machine running sshd. SR might be able to mount the 1T drive in it's entirety and copy it somewhere safe. You can then attempt to get Acronis to recognize it at your leisure. :(

http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page

Meganano

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

Forget Acronis. Their software is far too complicated. This was my old c: drive with original data. I switched drives after Windows 7 lost activation (maybe this was an indication of a bad drive.). I think I copied all the data over, but I like to get back the original just in case and find out what went wrong. What does " scp the entire drive to a machine running sshd" mean? I'm not yet fluint in Lynux