Tags:
  • Heatsinks
  • Cases
  • Power Supplies
  • Overclocking
  • Product
Last response: in Overclocking
October 7, 2011 12:51:21 AM

I'm am building a AMD A6 pc using a pico power supply and an M350 case. The case is tiny, and the cooler I chose from evercool is small but just a little too large for the case(especially if I want to mount the ssd). I want to cut into the end of the heasink to create a cavity for the Fan, and the a notch on the end for the SSD..

I have already had to beat the curved portion of the heatpipes to fit the RAM, and it still keeps the thing cool.

Has anyone ever cut into their heatsink with a dremel, or grinded the metal to shape around an obstruction in your case?

Small case :http://www.mini-box.com/M350-universal-mini-itx-enclosu...

Got the thing closed up and running without the fan on the heatsink, but the cpu temp just climbs steadily without a fan directly on top. Any suggestions?

More about : modifying heatsink copper heat pipes

October 8, 2011 3:21:29 PM

If you cut off the ends of the heatpipes they won't work nearly ad effectively unless you vacuum seal them again. Personally I'd just look for a small heatsink for a small case and get a couple high airflow fans to move all the heat out
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
October 8, 2011 3:51:47 PM

If you cut of the ends of the heat pipe, the heat pipe will stop working and you will have destroyed your heatsink.
October 8, 2011 6:37:18 PM

I'm having trouble finding a heatsink/fan combo that would fit... so far the smallest one is the stock AMD cooler that came with my A6 chip.... I was also trying to avoid a lot of small fans(such as the one on the stock cooler) to keep the noise down. I may be cut the heatsink's aluminum fins without disturbing the heatpipes. This is an experiment really, so ruining the heatsink wouldn't be a big deal... I guess I'll post how it goes in a few days... Thanks
m
l
October 8, 2011 6:38:51 PM

Best answer selected by togo1500.
m
l