Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard speaker problem

Last response: in Systems
August 11, 2009 1:35:52 AM

Last night I put together my i7 920, HAF 922, PNY 275GTX and Intel DX58SO build that I got. With a lot of help from people here in regards to price and what to get and it took quite awhile as I haven't built a new system in a decade or so. I ran into problems but with the help of my laptop and the internet I was able to get most of them figured out.

One question I have though is why doesn't my system speaker work? One of them came installed on the motherboard and another one with the case. The one on the MB doesn't work and I looked into the BIOS but didn't see anywhere to turn it on or anything. I flashed the BIOS and that didn't make any difference.

I can't figure out where the one with the case is supposed to be plugged in. Anyone have the HAF 922 and the same MB??

I did make a very rookie mistake and realized when I went to put my LG DVD in that I picked up a PATA drive at the computer store instead of a SATA drive. Oh well, I cannibilized one from my other computer and put it in my new system. That actually saved me some money as I'll just get one now from Newegg that's cheaper than the one I got from Fry's. I'll be taking that back, of course.

Anyway, just a few more tweaks and it'll all be working top-notch. I got 17069 on 3DMarks06 on my first run and that's a whole lot better than the 4000 I get on my HP. :)  After some overclocking it should fly! Farcry 2 at 100fps is cool.

Thanks for all the help from this forum. I'm sure I'll be around for quite some time now.

a b V Motherboard
August 11, 2009 1:43:27 AM

Because the speaker is built in they dont appear to have put a speaker header on the motherboard. Try pulling all the ram an attempting to boot, you should get one long steady beep, if you dont then there is a motherboard issue.
August 16, 2009 12:32:02 AM

hunter315 said:
Because the speaker is built in they dont appear to have put a speaker header on the motherboard. Try pulling all the ram an attempting to boot, you should get one long steady beep, if you dont then there is a motherboard issue.

Okay, I did what you suggested and I pulled out all the ram and the speaker worked. I heard 3 beeps though. At least I know the speaker works now but when I put the ram back in I heard nothing. The ram seated nice and firmly with the locking pins where they should be.

I get codes at the bottom right of the screen when I first boot up. Are they error codes or are they just telling me that there's some kind of process that's going on that I need not be concerned about. My guess is that they're error codes.

I get these codes: 5A, BA, EB, E7 and 94. I looked up those codes and can't make sense of them. I wish they'd put them in english.

Any help would be appreciated.

Everything seems to work fine after bootup. I get great speeds and all the rest of the fun.

Oh and one other thing, at bootup sometimes I get a vertical line that flashes and sometimes, not always, I also get a horizontal line at the bottom of the screen that flashes too. It's random though and I would say I get that at bootup maybe every 6th time or so.
Related resources
a c 88 V Motherboard
August 16, 2009 1:30:55 AM

computers work in a mysterious way

if windows installs , programs run and the temperatures are all good its best to just get on with enjoying yourself

Either that or invest in a company that makes medical treatments for ulcers
August 16, 2009 8:15:03 AM

Outlander_04 said:
computers work in a mysterious way

if windows installs , programs run and the temperatures are all good its best to just get on with enjoying yourself

Either that or invest in a company that makes medical treatments for ulcers

Thats called Folding at home
!