hingber

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
i am about to purchase a new hp computer. i can get a unit with an intel E7500 or q8400 at the same price. which will give me the better overall performance for photoshop CS4 and viewing streaming video? i do no gaming and very little multi-tasking. which can be most helpful the extra speed of the E7500 or the slower extra cores of the E8400??

Solution
D
Asus is a fine motherboard maker one of arguably the 2 "best" at the moment. Also Windows 7 makes much better use of the quad cores than XP could since multicore CPUs are newer than XP.

I would not count on being to overclock any at all if you buy a prebuilt computer. Companies like HP, Dell ect. use the lowest end parts they can to be able to sell cheap. So while it has an Asus MB it will be one with almost no features.

The i5 is indeed the newest/fastest of what you have listed but good job noticing the really bad pegatron motherboard.

You can almost always get a better computer by building your own. What kind of budget do you have?
D

Deleted member 217926

I would get the Quad. Neither chip is very strong without overclocking and the small increase in clock speed of the Duo will not help you as much as the extra cores.

pepperman

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009

What are the rest of the system specs? Keep in mind, CS4 uses a lot of RAM, so you don't want to skimp on that.

hingber

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009

the E7500 comes with 4GB of 800MHz and the Q8400 comes with 6GB. i am not doing any video editing.
the graphics card is a 1GB nvidia GFGT 220 .

the OS will be Win 7 maybe pro.

PS is only 300 watts

hingber

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009

i really wanted to go with an elite e9250t PC which contains an i5 at 2.66GHz but i have read there are a lot of problems with the pegatron MoBo.

do you think a 300w PS would support overclocking??
what's the downside to overclocking??

hingber

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009

seems everyone suggests the quad.
the MoBo is an Asus IPIBLLB... hp name is Benicia GL8E

my friend has an hp with a intel quad and when we use PSCS4 is seems in task manager with XP only 2 of the 4 cpu are active.

D

Deleted member 217926

Asus is a fine motherboard maker one of arguably the 2 "best" at the moment. Also Windows 7 makes much better use of the quad cores than XP could since multicore CPUs are newer than XP.

I would not count on being to overclock any at all if you buy a prebuilt computer. Companies like HP, Dell ect. use the lowest end parts they can to be able to sell cheap. So while it has an Asus MB it will be one with almost no features.

The i5 is indeed the newest/fastest of what you have listed but good job noticing the really bad pegatron motherboard.

You can almost always get a better computer by building your own. What kind of budget do you have?

Solution

hingber

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009

i was planning to spend $1000 to 1500. looked at white box but too expensive for what i want. do not have the time for a home built. my present computer (dell inspiron 8200) it hanging on by a fingernail. one of my 2 cooling fans failed and causing the cpu to run at 100%. hooked-up external computer 12vdc fan outside case to keep it working. think cpu broke loose of the heatsink.
checked hp forum and hundreds of recent problems with pegatron. hp still ships them.

surda

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
My friend if you want to buy a good computer then you have to take HP Dell and other compines out of your list.

instead learn how to build your own, i can help you with it, doing this will save you some cash and yet get much much faster and better than what hp dell and others offer.

HP And Dell they try and get you the lowest end motherboards with the lowest end Power Supply, Thus you will not be able to overclock nor upgrade nor sli or crossfire if you plane to do that in the future, but if you build your own you'll be able to do all that with lower price.

hingber

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
thanks to all the members who took the time to answer my question. i followed your advice regards the CPU and went with the Q8400. it will support virtual XP mode on win 7 pro. i also purchased a samsung XL2370 monitor. was also looking at the LG W2486L. want to plug both my HD cablebox and computer into the monitor.

TRENDING THREADS