Dell optiplex p4 upgrade

Solution
D
I myself wouldnt put any money into that system. Those old Pentium 4 chips were really not very good even when they were new.
Honestly you could upgrade to a low end newer dual core system that would blow that old one away for a few hundred dollars.
To me any small speed increase from updating the old processor is NOT worth it. Since you already bought an agp card ( obsolete since 2005 ) I would just make do with what you have untill you can afford to put some money into it.

When you do want to do a better upgrade post what the budget is in the New System Build section of the forums and people will help you get the most "bang for your buck".

jhandley

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
thnx for this one stig. Will my system, (motherboard ) handle the increased processing speed? I dont know much about the associated chipsets and all that. I am trying to extend the life of this computer and upgrade it as much as possible without having to go into a new system at this point in time, economy related reasons of course.
I have already purchased a Sapphire HD 3850 agp graphcs card, a 650 w power supply, and maxed out to 2 g of ram.
Im thinking this may be the last possible upgrade to this particular system to max it out.
Any and all advice and direction is GREATLY appreciated.
Jeff

D

Deleted member 217926

I myself wouldnt put any money into that system. Those old Pentium 4 chips were really not very good even when they were new.
Honestly you could upgrade to a low end newer dual core system that would blow that old one away for a few hundred dollars.
To me any small speed increase from updating the old processor is NOT worth it. Since you already bought an agp card ( obsolete since 2005 ) I would just make do with what you have untill you can afford to put some money into it.

When you do want to do a better upgrade post what the budget is in the New System Build section of the forums and people will help you get the most "bang for your buck".

Solution