PSU just blown (I think) a little advice?

motto

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2007
Hi,

Had my new HD 4890 vapor-x for a week and an hour ago while playing a particularly demanding part of Crysis everything switched off completely.

From then on no power at all. I stripped the psu (and checked MB and CPU) to check for any burn marks etc but couldn't see any.

Let the power drain and tried it again and nothing - not even the led on the mb is coming on - reckon it's the psu?

I have a 570 watt psu.

jf812

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
what brand? If it was a cheap one then all i have to say is that it's your own fault for using a cheap PSU. By the looks of it it has probably taken your mobo with it too.

motto

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2007

It's a Trust 570 watt Pro dual fan. Its ran fine for two years and kept it due to the recommended 500watt minimum by Sapphire.

If there is no power though there will be no led light so it may not have taken the MB too??

What's the chances the graphics card is away too?

jf812

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
There isn't a remotely large chance of it taking your GPU. Buy a good brand GPU and try a new mobo and see if it works. Im not the best person to talk about PSU's but you should never use a cheap PSU.

motto

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2007

Lesson learned - going to order a new PSU now anyway so will see if that works.

Any recommendations (bearing in mind my GPU)?

Hmmm a 4890 with a 550W psu... you are stressing it a little bit too much imo. It's a good thing to have 100W spared.

Go with a 600W of a good brand like Corsair or OCZ. Seasonic if you can afford it, but the first 2 brands are a good choice.

motto

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2007

I had a 570W so should have been enough - but the new OCZ 600W is on its way, just hope nothing else has gone. Testing the old 570W on another PC today (hope it doesn't work!).

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

You worry too much... The 4890 is a far more effecient GPU than the 4870 (dammit) and uses far fewer watts. Here is a link that may explode some FUD around what's required of PSU's:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/system-wattage.html

Notice that while it doesn't particularily address this issue directly, the systems that it DOES test draw far more watts than the OP's system.

motto

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2007

Think you could be right because I just tested my PSU at work on another system and it's fine!! :(

Which means it's the MB and or CPU, why, why, why - everything seemed to be running fine! :fou:

motto

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2007
Anyone have any ideas why this may have happened bearning in mind the system has ran fine for two years until I put a new 4890 in it - it the ran fine for a week until all power went BUT the PSU is fine??

Don't be concerned until you get the new P/S and install it and see what happens, its possible to have a P/S that cannot deliver the load needed on one computer and still run a lower power pulling machine just fine, I had that happen with a Fortron 700W.

So don't get concerned until you hook up the new P/S which should easily handle the load you have, and see what happens.

Its actually a good thing if the P/S is still operational on a lesser power draw machine, and hasn't completely gone up in smoke, because your M/B will still be OK under those circumstances.

If the new P/S powers up the system and runs fine, don't think the old P/S is still good, its really on its last legs but may still run a low end computer, but I wouldn't trust it.

motto

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2007

Thanks - yeh all my confidence in the old PSU went very quickly, I'll def be sticking to the new one. I suppose if all goes bad then the worst is a better CPU & board than I currently have.....(and less money in the bank).

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
also on an outside chance, try removing one mem stick at a time and retry booting

One died on me recently, producing identical symptoms to your machines

Good luck :)

Soggy_Popcorn

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
OP, OCZ isn't known to explode or anything, but they don't have crazy, "omg it's secretly 1000watt" type performance. Just know that you're not going to be Xfiring that 4890 with that PSU. I don't know if that's an issue for you.

motto

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2007

Nah not really, have always stuck to one card and it usually does me for a couple of years.

Anyway - just found out today what the dam* problem was - the PSU cable went, I imagine the fuse!!

Everything booted successfully with a new cable but I'm glad I've ordered the new PSU anyway (must be something to do with the PSU for why the fuse blew anyway right??).

Anyway saved myself a few hundered quid! :D