Sign in with
Your question

Help with my computer?

Last response: in CPUs
November 6, 2009 8:15:18 AM

Hi all,

I've a computer now, which i bought from Acer. However, i feel that it isn't good enough to run some of my games and i do not know the reason. I bought the computer back in june. It cannot even run GTA IV on resolution : 1920 x 1080, which is my native size. And i feel laggy in some games. Like resident evil 5, it's not very smooth. Also in Left 4 Dead on highest settings, it isn't that smooth. Most games i play aren't smooth.

May i know how to play games smooth? Any upgrading needed on my computer? Thanks.

Here are the specs :

------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows Vista® Home Premium 64-Bit,

Intel Core i7-920 processor (2.66GHz, 8MB Cache, 4.8GT/s),

8GB DDR III Ram

750GB S-ATA HDD

DVD SuperMulti Double-Layer Drive with Labelflash technology

Nvidia GeForce GT130 Graphics Card (1.5GB Dedicated RAM)

Wireless 802.11b/g/Draft-N LAN

23" LCD Monitor @ Resolution of 1920 x 1080

------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, may i know how to find out what is my motherboard? Cause i heard that we need to update it and i haven't update it till now.

Also, is it worth it to upgrade from Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 professional?

Also, planning to buy Nvidia GTX 295 or HD 5870, but would like to hear from you people first.

Thank you.

More about : computer

a b à CPUs
November 6, 2009 8:41:15 AM

Your problem is that your video card is terrible. Im surprised GTA4 even played it. To find out what motherboard you have download this and check the mainboard tab:

http://www.cpuid.com/download/cpuz/cpuz_152_setup.exe

The GTX 295 would definitely be a major upgrade but I would recommend getting a Radeon HD 5870 since it has directX 11 support and performs similarly to the GTX 295.

As for upgrading it would be nice, win7 is very nice.
m
l
November 6, 2009 8:53:43 AM

I thought the more dedicated video memory a card has, the better it is?

And i saw that GT 130 has 1.5 gb dedicated memory, that is why i didn't doubt its abilities to play games.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
November 6, 2009 9:12:03 AM

Memory isnt everything. The happens to be a very low quality GPU and having more video memory isnt going to fix that.
m
l
November 6, 2009 9:27:03 AM

Oh, thanks for the teaching! Another lesson learned! - I happen to be a computer noob. Lol
m
l
November 6, 2009 9:59:29 AM

So, any more people would like to tell me whether Nvidia GTX 295 or Radeon HD 5870 is better?

Any advantages, pros and cons about these 2 cards?

And also, can someone tell me how is my computer specs?

Also, can anyone tell me if games would play better in Windows 7?

Next, how do i know if a graphic card can fit or work in my computer. I am a computer newb and i really do not know anything.

And, does anyone have the nvidia 3D set? Does it really work? Perhaps i might get it too.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3D_Vision_Main.html

Thanks.
m
l
a c 159 à CPUs
November 6, 2009 11:47:19 AM

Buy a HD 5870 or 5850 ot GTX285 or 295...the GPU is a junk...and the 5870 is a little better that the GTX295, and more cheap too.
m
l
November 6, 2009 9:55:17 PM

So, HD 5870 is better than GTX 295?

And anyone, please answer the questions in my first post. Thanks
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 6, 2009 10:20:58 PM

lolable321 said:
So, HD 5870 is better than GTX 295?

And anyone, please answer the questions in my first post. Thanks

the 295 edges out the 5870 by just a few frames, 2-3 fps in most games, which is nothing.

the biggest plus the 5870 has is the dx11 support, less heat, less power consumption and 150$ cheaper

it think the choice it's obvious
m
l
a c 199 à CPUs
November 6, 2009 11:29:05 PM

lolable321 said:
So, any more people would like to tell me whether Nvidia GTX 295 or Radeon HD 5870 is better?

Any advantages, pros and cons about these 2 cards?

If you are asking which is the fastest, the 295 is top dog....however if ATI holds its original schedule 5870x2 was supposed to come out by end of month and it should easily unseat the 290. Many suggest ATI will hold off on release till after nVidia releases fermi.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card,...
"the GeForce GTX 295 offers very notable gains over the Radeon HD 5870 in the great majority of game titles, "

Cost wise, THG reports:

"The downside is that the new Radeon HD 5870 isn't the fastest add-in board on the block. In fact, as far as raw frame rates go, the Radeon HD 4870 X2 and Nvidia's GeForce GTX 295 often best it. We can expect some performance increases as the drivers mature, but the card's main saving graces are a $390 price tag, almost $70 below that of the GeForce GTX 295, and the aforementioned value adds. Unfortunately, availability is disappointingly scarce right now so close to launch.

The newer generation cards from ATI have the advantage or a smaller dies so they are more efficient and they also have DX11 support. Will DX11 matter ? DX10 was a complete non factor so everyone is hoping that DX11 brings something to the table. We just won't know for about 2 years.

OK, so this hasn't helped you any has it :) 

Here's the thing. Will you keep this GFX card more than 2 years ? If so, I'd say lean to the ATI. If not, do you run games at high enough resolutions for the performance differences to even matter ? If less than 2 years, DX 11 won't have yet had great impact even if DX11 is a smashing success. So the question in considering the 295 becomes, is the $70 and lower efficiency worth the performance increase ?

Personally, I always wait till the late winter to build a new or upgrade box....new CPUs and price drops from Intel after end of February. nVidia's new cards should have hit the streets and Graphics card vendors should have moved beyond the ATI standard reference design to "tweaked models" which should mean more choices and lower prices. ATI has also now taken the unusual step of increasing prices dues to less than expected yields and short supply coupled with high demand.

I'd suggest tht you read the "Best GFX cards for the Money" article here:

Starting at $150 and up where you seem to be sitting....I found the recommendations surprising:

THG Best GFX Cards for the Money
$155 - 3 way tie
............Radeon HD 4870 1GB in CrossFire
............GeForce GTX 260 (Core 216) in SLI *
............Radeon HD 5770 in CrossFire
$190 - Radeon HD 4890
$200 - Two Radeon HD 4850 in CrossFire Configuration
$250 - Two Radeon HD 4870 512MB in CrossFire Configuration
$290 - No Winner (Honorable Mention: Radeon HD 5850)
$310 - 3 way tie
............2 x Radeon HD 4870 1GB in CrossFire
............2 x GeForce GTX 260 (Core 216) in SLI *
............2 x Radeon HD 5770 in CrossFire
$380 - Two Radeon HD 4890 cards in CrossFire Configuration
$390 - No Winner (Honorable Mention) Radeon HD 5870
$465 - No Winner (Honorable Mention) GeForce GTX 295

*"Nvidia doesn't have a DirectX 11-class architecture yet, but the caveat above applies here as well. If you're going to sink $300+ into DirectX 10 hardware, do so knowing that there are competing DirectX 11 boards available in the same price range. They won't offer the same level of performance as two GeForce GTX 260s in SLI; that's the trade-off for more modern functionality, though."

In summary (according to THG):

ATI 4xxx Series gets 6 Winners
ATI 5xxx Series gets 2 Winners and 2 Honorable Mentions
nVidia 2xx Series gets 2 Winners and 1 Honorable Mention

So yes, it's not the usual easy decision....new generation stuff does have DX11 support and runs more efficiently but the older ATI 4xxx / nVidia 2xx offer the getter performance bang for the buck. So if you have the itch to buy now, my thinking is:

-If you upgrade your GFX at 2 years or less - Get ATI 4xxx / or nVidia 2xx as per THG recommendations above
-If you upgrade your GFX at 2 years or more - Get ATI 5xxx / or wait for nVidia fermi cards

m
l
November 7, 2009 3:21:42 PM

Erm, i don't think i really get it here. But is it...

HD 5870 has support for direct x 11 and GTX 295 only has support for direct x 10.

But GTX 295 is better?

How is that so?

Thanks for the reply.

And, when is nvidia releasing their next video card? Will that card support direct x 11?

Thanks people.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 7, 2009 3:36:44 PM

lolable321 said:

HD 5870 has support for direct x 11 and GTX 295 only has support for direct x 10.

But GTX 295 is better?

How is that so?

Thanks for the reply.

And, when is nvidia releasing their next video card? Will that card support direct x 11?

Thanks people.

The Gtx 295 is able to beat the 5870 only because gtx 295 has 2 gpus in 1 card instead of 1 gpu. Although as everyone said, in most games the diff between the 2 wont be noticeable in most games (in some extreme graphic situation, this may differ). It will be noticeable in your electrical bill though.

As for nvidia next card direct X, yes it should be able to do 11.
m
l
a c 159 à CPUs
November 7, 2009 4:06:41 PM

The GTX295 is better in somethigns, in other the 5870 is better. How is said up, the big diference is the dx11 and the price.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 7, 2009 4:07:31 PM

lolable321 said:

Thanks people.

nvidia's next is called fermi, it has been said that it'll come out late december or early january, but nothing official, nvidia haven't mentioned even an approximate date, and yes it WILL support dx11.

about the 3dvision thing, well, it works,but it's no worth to spend 100 bucks on a pair of 3d glasses just cause they have the nvidia logo printed on them. cheap 4$ glasses will also work.
m
l
November 8, 2009 2:48:24 AM

Hmm, alright.

However, what should i know before buying a HD 5870?

How do i know if it will fit into my computer?

Please tell me step by step as i am totally new to these things.

And also, do i only need to upgrade me video card?

Please take a look at my other specs and tell me whether anymore things need to be upgraded.

Do i need to add more RAM?

Thanks. :bounce: 

m
l
a b à CPUs
November 8, 2009 3:08:03 AM

lolable321 said:
Hmm, alright.

However, what should i know before buying a HD 5870?

How do i know if it will fit into my computer?

Please tell me step by step as i am totally new to these things.

And also, do i only need to upgrade me video card?

Please take a look at my other specs and tell me whether anymore things need to be upgraded.

Do i need to add more RAM?

Thanks. :bounce: 

you only need to upgrade your graphics card. the rest of your system is pretty good.

also what is your power supply? it'll most likely run the 5870, as it's known for it's low power comsumption compared to similar penforming cards, but just to be sure.

a quality 500 to 550w should be ok

as for the size of the card it's an 11 inch gpu, so you'll need a somewhat roomy case to fit it.

you just have to measure the distance from the hard drive bays to the back end of the case. make sure of that before you buy it

m
l
November 8, 2009 1:23:12 PM

Thanks for the reply people. Keep it coming in. =)

Alright, how do i know my power supply?

The length of my computer is around 42 - 45 cm.

I don't know if it can fit.

And also, i heard people say that my mother board or something else must be compatible with the video card. Is it true?

So, lets say i have the correct powersupply, what else more needs to be compatible?

And also, how do i find out the model of my mother board.

Thanks. =) :bounce: 
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 8, 2009 1:54:22 PM

lolable321 said:
Thanks for the reply people. Keep it coming in. =)

Alright, how do i know my power supply?

The length of my computer is around 42 - 45 cm.

I don't know if it can fit.

And also, i heard people say that my mother board or something else must be compatible with the video card. Is it true?

So, lets say i have the correct powersupply, what else more needs to be compatible?

And also, how do i find out the model of my mother board.

Thanks. =) :bounce: 

don't worry about the motherboard, as far as i know ALL lga1366( i7's socket) motherboards has pcie slots, so don't worry about that.

for knowing your psu you only have to open the case and look at the power supply's sticker( all psus has a sticker on the back where it tells the brand and the specs)

for knowing the motherboard you can open the case and look at it, it should have the brand and model printed on it. OR you can download this: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mkjvih2oeyn/everesthome22...
which tells you almost every piece of hardware on your comp
m
l
November 8, 2009 2:08:57 PM

Thanks for the quick reply, folks! =) Nice little cozy forum here. Very warm.

Well, regarding the PCIE or something. The acer website says that my computer has

"PCI Express 16x Graphics expansion slot offering a choice of approved ATI or nVidia graphic cards."

I wish i can download the mediafire, but i can't due to some reason. So i guess i will open up the case.

Thanks.
m
l
a c 199 à CPUs
November 8, 2009 4:22:24 PM

lolable321 said:

But GTX 295 is better?

How is that so?

Thanks for the reply.

Thanks people.

What's better .....the car that seats 2, gets 20 mpg and does 0-60 in 4.6 seconds .... or the one that seats 4, gets 30 mpg and does 0 - 60 in 14 seconds ? Obviously it depends on what you want the car to do.

Here's the considerations:

DX support - The GFX card vendors normally ship their new generation cards in the fall so as to take advantage of the holiday sales spike. New DX releases are timed generally with new OS releases. Back in the day, all we cared about was Open GL which offered direct hardware (bypassing the OS) acceleration. But with DX9 and up, MS has been able to get many vendors to focus on DX rather than GL. The GL / DX discussion could fill several pages so I'll move on.

DX10 came with Vista and MS chose to use it to try and force consumers to move from XP to Vista by not offering DX10 to XP owners (Vista owners will get Dx11). Despite the strong arm tactics, DX10 as well as 10.1 was a complete dud and has been a non factor in the gaming industry. Consumers seem to have snapped out of their lemming behavior, readily heading toward the cliff cause they saw a new and bigger number (Vista, DX10 etc), and as a result are bit suspicious, now "looking before they take that leap".

With the greater adoption rate of Win7, it has been hopefully assumed, that vendors will jump on the DX11 bandwagon and DX11 will become a widely adopted standard that vendors will actually invest time and money to do something with. It is also hoped that the combined additional features from 10, 10.1 and 11 will make gamers say "Hey, this stuff adds something to game play". Will it work, who knows however most of us are hoping so because the industry has been a bit static and it's been a while before we said "wow that's new" while playing a game. The problem is, a vendor can put out a game which "supports" DX11 w/o actually doing any programming which employs many of DX11's new features.

The general consensus among most reviewers has been ..... if you are going to keep that new card for more than two years, cover ya financial investment and get a DX11 card. If DX11 is "big" then , you don't wanna be waiting two more years after than to enjoy what it may have to offer. In evaluating nay technology, you want to see what it does rather than hear techno-jargon. So far, in looking at Battleforge, I'm not yet impressed with what Dx11 has to offer. But again, that doesn't mean DX11 isn't a big deal.....it just means the folks at Battleforge didn't do anything with it.

PhysX - This technology came from nVidia's purchase of Ageia and what it does is take the Physics load off your CPU and moves it to the GPU. Some of the features this adds to game play include:

Smoke and steam that looks like smoke and steam and recats as you walk through it.
Cloth items like flags, curtains, spiderwebs etc behave like IRL, they wave in breeze, can be torn etc.
When you walk thru leaves on the ground and papers strewn on the floor, they flutter around as you pass
When enemies die, they won't fall in the exact same way all the time
Glass breaks into pieces which remain as objects
Walls that get destroyed rather than "smudged" when you hit them w/ a rocket launcher.

NVidia drivers were written so that these features were disabled if it detected ATI hardware present. But a patch has been written (see previous post) which allows a mix of ATI and nVidia hardware on same box. You do need at least 1 nVidia card present to use.

Here again, if you were to judge the technology by what they did with it in Mirrors Edge, like Battleforge and DX11, you wouldn't be impressed at all. OTOH, if when people look at Batman AA w/ PhysX, (see the video on youtube or firingsquad.com), most come away pretty impressed. The big question is what will game developers spend time and money wise to implement the features ? For whatever ya might wanna gather from this, Batman was 16th on NPD's List of Top 20 Best Selling PC Games in September. Some suggest that the fact that Wii, XBox and PS3 support PhysX and with more new games seeming to be released on consoles first may lead to more games which PhysX is given priority by the developer but that is purely speculation at this point.

Performance - The GTX 295 was nVidia's answer to the 4870x2 from ATI. As the name implied, the 4870x2 was two 4870 GPU's slapped on a single card. The 4870x2, 295 and 5870 all have "victories" winning performance benchmarks in various games. THG writes in their latest "Best GFX Cards for the Money" roundup:

"Despite ATI's new Radeon HD 5800-series, Nvidia's GeForce GTX 295 (with SLI-on-a-board) is the most powerful single graphics card on the planet. Essentially two conjoined GeForce GTX 275s, the GeForce GTX 295 offers very notable gains over the Radeon HD 5870 in the great majority of game titles, although the Radeon will use far less power doing so."

Power Consumption - There are two considerations here: Idle Power and Max Power under load. Here's the comparison:

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

5870 - 25W / 205W
295 - 74W / 302W
4870 x 2 - 168W / 338W

The 4870x 2 is off the charts in this comparison. The 5870 as single GPU uses about 2/3 the power (at the wall) at peak load as the 295 but 1/3 at idle. At say 6 hours a day of PC use, 3 hours of that gaming, and at the average US cost of electricity of 12 cents per kwh we get

5870 Cost = [(3 x 25) + (3 x 205)] x 30.4 days per month x $0.12 / 1000 watts per Kw = $2.52 per month
295 Cost = [(3 x 74) + (3 x 302)] x 30.4 days per month x $0.12 / 1000 watts per Kw = $4.11 per month

So the 295 will cost you an extra $1.59 a month to run....or to put in perspective, about 1/10th of a WoW subscription.

Heat generation - Again, numbers are provided for both idle and under load (driverheaven.net):

5870 - 46C / 79C
295 - 53C / 71C
4870x2 - 87C / 98C

The 4870 is off the charts and while the 295 runs 8C cooler under load, it's 7C higher at idle.

So as to your question "what is better ?", it depends on what you want.

1. I try and keep a box in use for about 4 years, with a GFX (and maybe a CPU) upgrade after 2. In this instance, DX11 wouldn't be high on my priority list until I get ready for that middle GFX upgrade 2 years from now. The longer you keep a GFX card past that 2 year mark, the more DX11 will matter....assuming of course that Dx11 is not another Dx10 which we are all hoping it won't be.

2. New isn't always better. Again, see the THG "Best GFX Cards for the Money" roundup on the home page:

I didn't bother looking at the budget cards but from $140 and up, the older 4xxx series DX10 cards took "winners" in 6 categories. A nVidia DX10 card and an ATI 5xxx DX11 card tied for winner in 2 of those categories. The 5xxx did get an honorable mention in 2 categories where no winners were picked and the 295 also got an honorable mention where no winner was picked. From my point of view , it's hard to find fault with any of the winners / honorable mentions on the THG list.

3. Like everything else, what's best for me might not be best for you. Budget, how long you keep your cards before upgrading, expectations, resolution, performance differences, case size and cooling capacity, etc. all will play into what is "best" for your use and your system.
m
l
!