Sapphire 3870 hdmi sound

pinha

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
Hello all, it's my first post, usually i find my answers without trouble here but this one I didn't found, I hope I didn't miss it :??:. Well, I have a Sapphire 3870 512mb gddr3 with double dvi-out and i recently purchased a pc-tv satellite board wich has no tv-out, i'm thinking of using extended desktop to watch tv from that board on my LCD TV without interfering with whatever anyone is doing on the desktop, I have an adaptor for dvi>hdmi, so i only have to buy a hdmi-hdmi cable, my doubt is: Will the audio that'll pass thru that cable to my LCD TV in extended mode be the same i'll hear in my pc speakers wich are connected to my onboard sound? Or will it be only the sound of whatever is playing on my LCD TV thru the extended desktop mode? Thanks in advance, and I hope that the question is clear :??:

"Will the audio that'll pass thru that cable to my LCD TV in extended mode be the same i'll hear in my pc speakers wich are connected to my onboard sound?"

Let me get this right. Are going to use the video out on your video card to display on a second monitor which happens to be your HDTV. Correct?
If you are using a DVI to HDMI adaptor and connecting to the computer's DVI to the HDMI port on the TV, it won't carry any audio at all. You will only get picture only.

If your TV tuner has an audio out port I suggest you run a cable from that port to your TV for audio. If it doesn't have a port then you will have to

pinha

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
thanks dark_lord69 for your reply. Well, in sapphire's website it's written that with dvi-hdmi adaptor and a hdmi-hdmi cable I can have sound! I even had to install a audio driver for it! That's why I asked my question, however, that's a good advice.

godless

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
you can have sound. the dvi-hdmi adapter that came with your graphics card CAN handle audio with video. but you need to use that adapter and hdmi cable. make sure that in audio settings, you set it to use the graphics card audio and not your mobo. i have diamon hd 3870 with 512mb ddr4 ram and it works flawlessly with 42" 720P lcd phillips tv.

pinha

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009

But does it split the sound or will i listen to the same thing i listen to in my speakers connected to my onboard soundcard
? If someone is watching a movie on the desktop monitor will i be able to play a game on my lcd-tv and only hear the in-game sound and not the movie sound?

godless

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
oooh. good question. i don't think that it can split different sounds to different speakers/tvs. i can try to connect this computer to both the tv and monitor with speakers and see which results i get. but i would have to do it tomorrow. don't have the time to play around with settings today. hopefully someone else will answer your question sooner.

godless

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
unfortunately , i only seem to be getting the clone audio affect. i haven't been able to find a configuration between the video card and onboard sound card that i have, that the sound is seperate. i tried setting up two different desktop environments in hydra software from ati, but that still didn't work. i'm using catalyst 9.1 version. but i doubt if switching to newest ones would resolve this issue. sorry.

TRENDING THREADS