Chuck1463

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
I have loaded wp 5.1 on a new xp machine and can not set up the printer on a usb port. Also having same trouble with lotus 3.4. The programs do not see a usb port. The printer is a hp deskjet 1000.

Chuck1463

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012

Would it be best to just upgrade to a newer version of wp?

Well, if you can follow the directions I posted earlier, that's the cheapest way to go. If you aren't technical enoguh to follow those instructions, then a new version of word perfect would be the way to go, especially if you have older word perfect documents you need to be able to read.

If you don't care about your old word perfect documents I'd suggest you just download a free office suite like libre office or open office. Libre office's site is currently blacked out in opposition to SOPA/PIPA, but will be back online tomorrow.

Like I said, they can continue to use WP5.1, but the only way to print to a USB (most all printers now) printer, you will need to follow the instructions on how to loopback an LPT port to a USB port. Most newer computers don't even have LPT ports anymore. If you don't want to hassle with loopbacks, your only choices are to upgrade to the newest WP or use a new program for writing your documents that can understand USB devices.