Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Computer laging in game

Last response: in Systems
August 11, 2009 4:10:16 AM

Well last January I built my computer and over the months i have noticed lag in game at first me and my friends thought it was just normal for that lag in crysis but once i had gotten more high games like COH Tales of Valor and GTA 4 I realized that it was a problem so I had RMAed my powersupply thinking maybe that it wasnt getting enough power and then I got the powersupply back and the problem continued so I RMAed my CPU and I still have the problem so i also rmaed my motherboard. Now I have all the parts back and still hav the problem I hav tested the RAM and GPU in another computer and they work fine and have better FPS than my computer.
Now is there any possiblility it could be bd wiring in the case ??? I dont know what else it could be?
Here are my specs
CPU: AMD Phenom 9500 Quad 2.20 GHZ
RAM 4GB
Motherboard: ECS Elitegroup A780VM-M2
GPU: XFX Nividia Geforce 9800 GT
Case Apevia X-Discovery Black

More about : computer laging game

a b B Homebuilt system
August 11, 2009 4:20:12 AM

What CPU did the computer you tested them in have? The older phenoms are rather slow so im willing to bet on it being a CPU bottleneck rather than a bad component.
August 11, 2009 4:50:59 AM

the computer i tested them in had a AMD Phenom(tm) 9950 Quad-Core Processor, MMX, 3DNow (4 CPUs), ~2.9GHz in it
Related resources
a c 136 B Homebuilt system
August 11, 2009 4:57:32 AM

so you'd kind of expect a 2.9 ghz chip to run games quicker tha a 2.2 ghz chip , right?

and maybe that tell us what the bottleneck in your system is .

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
August 11, 2009 4:59:37 AM

Alright then, that confirms my assumption. You have two options, you can get an aftermarket heatsink and overclock yours, or you can upgrade your processor, any of the new phenom II line up will work with your board with a bios update. Your board only officially supports 95 watt CPUs so this one will work, its a low power 945, it will also blow your current CPU away
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I realize windows periodically screws it up, but for future reference when windows reads 4 CPUs it really means 4 cores, there are setups with 4 CPU's but they are server motherboards. Just something to keep in mind, it will make you look smart someday.
August 11, 2009 5:04:29 AM

well im not sure about that because i have a friend that plays without lag in coh with a higher end pentium 4 that shows up in the dxdiag as a dual core and he is doing better fps wise in some games.

a b B Homebuilt system
August 11, 2009 4:25:48 PM

That 9800gt isn't exactly the greatest card for gaming either...... and things are going to get tougher graphics wise.
a b B Homebuilt system
August 11, 2009 4:33:52 PM

If COH is single or dual threaded a faster clocked dual core would blow the slower quad away as it cant make use of the other two cores.

Any of the hyperthreaded pentium 4's except some of the old northwoods have the ability to beat that slow quad in dual threaded applications, and you said its one of the high end ones, one of the 3.8GHz p4's would likely out perform it.
August 11, 2009 4:35:41 PM

Ill b honest with you here, you dont really have a high end pc there. That phenom is rather slow by today standerds. Basicly you should overclock or lower settings, or even better both.
August 11, 2009 11:58:37 PM

Ok guys are you even joking me? a pentium 4 over a phenom? I dont get the joke if that was supposed to be funny actually. I'm the owner of the other phenom, the 9950 at 2.9 ghz, and you know, you are just straight wrong. my video card is lesser to the power of a 9800gt, i have an old 8800gts 320 mb. My framerate in every game absolutely destroys this guys, and we dont know why. honestly, you think an old p4 can beat a phenom? in sheer transistor count the phenom HAS to destroy a pentium 4.
August 12, 2009 12:03:45 AM

there is no way that the pentium 4 beats the phenom. lets check this out, the pentium 4 has 55 million transistors, compare this to the phenoms 450 million and you will quickly why the phenom is at least many times better. and also the kid whos pc is beating mickeys has an 8600 gt and and 2 gigs of ram. the pentium 4 is a 3.2 gigahertz and it sucks.
a b B Homebuilt system
August 12, 2009 12:04:28 AM

No, because on a single or dual threaded game only a quarter or half of those transistors get used. Yes the phenom does more instructions per clock than the old pentium 4's however, when that pentium 4 is running 45% faster, its hard to get the IPCs up high enough to compensate.

A 2.2GHz quad core does NOT behave as an 8.8GHz single core, it behaves exactly like a 2.2GHz single core on single threaded applications.

The reason your less card gets higher frame rates is because he is not experiencing a graphics bottleneck, its a CPU bottleneck.
August 12, 2009 12:07:19 AM

completely untrue. first off, all of the games he lags in use all of the cores he has, secondly if its a cpu bottleneck then explain how it WASN'T fixed by using my 9950 phenom, which btw beats the q6600 in about 1/2 the tests, and thats pre overclocking. obviously, the p4 gets pooped on by the q6600 so the logic in this statement is just not there.
August 12, 2009 12:09:14 AM

i understand what you are saying, but lets divide 450 million by 4. its like 112500000 transistors. which is roughly twice the pentium 4. so i do not see how the pentium 4 even with the clock increase would beat it. also architectures must be taken into account.
August 12, 2009 12:18:37 AM

renzuokun said:
Ok guys are you even joking me? a pentium 4 over a phenom? I dont get the joke if that was supposed to be funny actually. I'm the owner of the other phenom, the 9950 at 2.9 ghz, and you know, you are just straight wrong. my video card is lesser to the power of a 9800gt, i have an old 8800gts 320 mb. My framerate in every game absolutely destroys this guys, and we dont know why. honestly, you think an old p4 can beat a phenom? in sheer transistor count the phenom HAS to destroy a pentium 4.

the OP's phenom is a 2.2 GHz with a 9500 serial . That means it has the TLB error that slows performance because the on die caching doesnt work .
A dual core p4 would be more than competitive
His results show that the cpu is limiting his performance and thats what he needs to address for a speed fix

August 12, 2009 12:23:45 AM

renzuokun said:
completely untrue. first off, all of the games he lags in use all of the cores he has, secondly if its a cpu bottleneck then explain how it WASN'T fixed by using my 9950 phenom, which btw beats the q6600 in about 1/2 the tests, and thats pre overclocking. obviously, the p4 gets pooped on by the q6600 so the logic in this statement is just not there.

actually when he put his gfx card and ram into a computer with a higher clocked phenom there was no problem
August 12, 2009 12:26:50 AM

so youre telling me that on company of heroes which i know to use 4 cores a phenom will get beat by a p4?
August 12, 2009 12:27:35 AM

oh yes, that was my pc i just mispoke im sorry. Well as much as i hate to believe you its starting to be possible. he's rmad EVERYTHING but his case ram and gpu, which we tested. could you please explain this caching issue?

edit: btw just to make sure it was cpu, before he rmad everything we put in my old athlon x2 4400+ at 2.3 ghz. issue is, i ran games at a far faster speed than he did with this cpu in his mobo, and he has a superior gpu. he shouldnt get nearly identical perf. with the phenom AND the x2 in highly mutlithreaded games like gta4 or CoH should he? besides, even if he was bottlenecked, my 8800 gts was not bottlenecked by the x2, and my perf was about 4x better.
August 15, 2009 7:05:02 AM

Outlander_04 said:
the OP's phenom is a 2.2 GHz with a 9500 serial . That means it has the TLB error that slows performance because the on die caching doesnt work .
A dual core p4 would be more than competitive
His results show that the cpu is limiting his performance and thats what he needs to address for a speed fix

according to amd the tlb erratum rarely affects average desktop users. furthermore it does not have as crippling an affect on performance as demonstrated on his computer.
!