Phenom II X4 965 BE - Too hot?

cdub1980

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
I've searched the threads, but I'm not really finding what I'm looking for, so I'll just start a new thread...

...I recently built a new system (albeit a value-oriented system w/room to expand) and have some concerns about CPU temps, but I don't really know if it's anything to worry about. Ambient temp in my house is usually between 70-75F (so roughly 22-25C). My Phenom II X4 965 BE idles around 31-32C when there isn't really a workload. With no overclocking, gaming pushes it up around 55-57C, which seems high to me considering AMD's max temp is listed as 62C.

It seems that with the good airflow from my case and the aftermarket CPU cooler, that temps shouldn't be pushing quite so high, but I'm not familiar with the newer processors - it's been a while since I've built a computer.

Is that temp range normal or too high?

System Build:
CPU: Phenom II X4 965 BE (@stock 3.4)
Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper N520
Video: MSI Twin Frozr II OC HD6950 2GB
Mobo: MSI 990FX-GD80
RAM: G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1333, 8GB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB
PSU: HEC Zephyr 750W PSU
Case: Diablotek EVO (5 120mm fans - 1 front intake, 1 side intake, 2 top exhaust, 1 rear exhaust)

Mrthorp

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
my temps are just about identical. i have the same cooler as you . lol... i was worrying, but after a month of steady watching, nothing about 57. even when it was 85F+ in my room. Those just seem to be our temps.

i know the cooler is doing its job because the temps fall so fast when going form load to idle.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
I wouldn't worry, it's still within normal operating range.

If your worried stress test both your CPU and video card at the same time and watch it to see what the max temp will hit. Than add in what the max ambient temp your room reaches at it hottest say in the summer time to see if your still within normal operating temps. Though I doubt you be able to get your system that hot by just gaming compared to this stress test, it will probably just make you feel better about your cooling.

jeffredo

Distinguished
My X4 980 BE @ 4.0 Ghz idles at 30-32C, games at 46C and hits 56C with Prime95 in a scrawny little Lian Li case in a 72F room:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112218

Something doesn't sound quite right if you're hitting temps that high at load or while gaming. Is your case fan arrangement (intake/exhaust) set up correctly? You might want to reseat the HSF or try a different TIM to see if it helps.

31C at idle is not hot at all. Its perfectly normal (what were you expecting?). Anyway, idle temps mean nothing. Its load that counts.

deejayburnout

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
I would expect the stock cooler to be at 31 deg , but with my hyper 212, i would expect it to be around 26 to 28 deg.

At the moment its sitting at 34 deg idle so if that s ok then i can live with that.

I ran prime for 5 mins and it went up to 48 deg which i would never expect to get 100 load when gaming or converting vids for my Blackberry, so i suppose all will be good.

I was kinda comparing my temps to my old Phenom 9650 that was at 24 for idle temps with my hyper 212. That was 1.1GHZ slower than my 965.

Destructopuppy

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2012
Hey guys,

My Phenom II 965 X4 is idling at an AVERAGE of 60 degrees C and goes 70-80 under constant stress test. My XFX Radeon 6870 2GB edition is running at about 73 degrees idle and topping 80-85 under stress (BF3 on ultra ect) sometime higher! I am no expert but i am not a moron either and this seems WAY too hot. :pfff:

I don't know exactly what the problem might be, but i do have a relatively hot room (poor ventilation) and i only use stock cooling, any ideas as to what i should do/what the problem is?

HBTechnoDude

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012

Where are you getting these readings? I have even higher and Im getting them from AMD overdrive. Cpu meter says 64 C though. IDK what to do I am emailing amd support and then if they say get a new fan im getting one asap. Too bad it is weekend so it will take longer to ship if i end up needing it.