Solved

Choosing a video card

I'm customizing a Dell XPS 630 for gaming purposes, but I'm having difficulties deciding on the video card.
My options are:
Quote:
SLI™, Dual NVIDIA® GeForce® GTS 240, 2048MB
CrossFireX, Dual ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB (add $100)
ATI Radeon HD 4870 1024MB
CrossFireX, Dual ATI Radeon HD 4870 1024MB (add $300)

I'm on a pretty tight budget, I'm willing to pay $100 more for the dual 4850, but the last one is out of the question unless I hear some really convincing arguments for it.

Personally I'm leaning toward the ATI Radeon HD 4870 because of the cost and, from what I've read, the better stability of using a single graphics card.

Also if it helps, I'll be on a 22" monitor with a maximum resolution of 1680 x 1050.
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about choosing video card
  1. buy your card from newegg or tigerdirect and save yourself some money

the 4870 would be a solid choice
  2. You will save money with buying the cards yourself. 2 4870's are only around 280 dollars.

I think you really only want one at 1680 res though so it would be $140.

If you really want to go with one installed by Dell though I would still say 4870.
  3. Best answer
    Building the computer yourself would be the best option, but since you really seam to want to buy a Dell anyway.....

The dual 4850 512MB setup is generally a better option but as games consume more and more vRam soon 512MB will hinder such a setup so going with a 4870 1GB now would be a good option. Also you can just add another 4870 1GB down the road for even more performance. As it is another 4870 1GB would only cost you $145 so it makes sense to add the second card yourself and not have to pay that insane $300 "upgrade" price.
  4. Personally, It hurts to hear the prices of the "add". I will be answering your question,
    Instead of the usual " HEY NOOB BUILD IT ITS CHEAPER"
    It's a rude remark as it doens't answer your question, but true that it does benefit building.
    Anyways, Gts 240 2048mb you say? What the hell is a gts 240? Well googling it real fast i think it was discontinued, i know of the gts 250 tho.
    You also say tight budget, but willing to pay 100$ MORE is not a tight budget anymore by the way, tight is $20-30.
    Depending on the games you play, is what you'd want. personally i game, but i don't see the reason to dual.
    Well if you wan't go for the 4870 then, it's awesome performance at a great value. cheaper then the gtx 260
  5. Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'm gonna pick up the 4870 and maybe add another one in myself later down the road.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Radeon HD ATI Graphics