Sign in with
Your question

Is this PSU good purchase or bad?

Last response: in Components
November 6, 2009 4:32:33 PM

Sup guys,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

there is the psu that I bought.

my new build is this:

P6t Deluxe v2
CORSAIR 4 Gigz DDR3
Intel I7 920
Corsair Hydro Cooler
HD ATI 5870
VG4000BWS = Case
(2) Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000HLFS 300GB Raid 0
1 Intel X25-M 160GB SSD
CD-DVD-RW Burner

that's pretty much it..

I will receive all these parts today, but I was wondering how will the above linked PSU do against all the spec's listed. Could I add another 5870 for CF?

thanks,

Pluke

More about : psu good purchase bad

a b ) Power supply
November 6, 2009 4:55:49 PM

You bought a 1000watt PSU for that build. A 700Watt would easily support that. And yes you can probably add not one more but 2 more 5870's and still have it easily support it :) 
m
l
November 6, 2009 5:09:37 PM

thank you,
any comment on the quality of PSU I bought?
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
November 6, 2009 5:21:58 PM

Uhm, I don't wan't misinform you or anything, I don't really know of the quality of kingwin power supplies. I usually recommend and advertise parts based on my own personal expirience and i haven't had that with kingwin so I can't really say. However reviews look pretty good on it and wait for some more replies from other posters which will porbably give you what you are looking for.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
November 6, 2009 5:31:21 PM

150 amps across 6 12v rails? Good god. Are you powering Times Square on New Years?

Blackhawk is absolutely correct. A Corsair 750tx would have been sufficient even with 2 HD 5870's.

Don't get us wrong, your PSU will work fine and as an added bonus you could probably power the rest of your house with it too.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
November 6, 2009 5:33:50 PM

^Yeah! And actually since you already bought it you can put that PSU to good use. If you build another computer you can put it side by side with this one and have one PSU power both computers. You will just have to buy some cable extenders probably.
m
l
a c 248 ) Power supply
November 6, 2009 5:36:39 PM

Kingwin did not have a reputation for high quality power supplies. They did try to improve but the results were mixed.

The 1,000 watt Mach 1 power supply is not an excellent high quality power supply. Here's a link to a technical review:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...

As blackhawk and viper already pointed the psu is overkill for a system with two ATI Radeon 5870 video cards operating in Crossfire mode.

The general rule of thumb is a high quality 500 to 550 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the 12 volt rail(s) can easily power a system with any single video card made. A high quality 700 to 750 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the 12 volt rail(s) can power a system with two video cards operating in dual mode. There are a few exceptions like the new ATI Radeon HD 5XXX series cards which use less power due to their energy efficiency.

Here are the official power requirements for the brand new ATI Radeon HD 5850 and HD 5870 video cards.

ATI Radeon™ HD5850 System Requirements:

PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard

500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended

600 Watt and four 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode

ATI Radeon™ HD5870 System Requirements:

PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard

500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended

600 Watt and four 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in • dual mode

The power supply recommendations are for an entire pc system.

Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, and Seasonic are some of the brands that have a reputation for high quality power supplies that consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are reliable, stable, and come with a 5 year warranty. Lately we've been seeing a few other brands offering some high quality units.

m
l
a b ) Power supply
November 6, 2009 5:38:25 PM

I just called the mayor of Las Vegas and told him not to freak out but he should expect black outs tonight because Pluke the 2 just bought their power supply.

I mean look at that thing. It looks like a portable nuclear power plant. You might want to run it over with a Geiger Counter before installing it.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
November 6, 2009 5:40:25 PM

JohnnyLucky said:
Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, and Seasonic are some of the brands that have a reputation for high quality power supplies that consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are reliable, stable, and come with a 5 year warranty. Lately we've been seeing a few other brands offering some high quality units.

Aren't some Antec's and OCZ's built by Seasonic (Same maker as the big 3 you just mentioned and also my personal favorites)?
m
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
November 6, 2009 5:49:57 PM

TheViper said:
Aren't some Antec's and OCZ's built by Seasonic (Same maker as the big 3 you just mentioned and also my personal favorites)?

There are no Seasonic built OCZ's that I've heard of , Antec still has a couple.
PS; the Kingwin only has 81 amps available to it's six 12v rails.
m
l
November 6, 2009 5:50:12 PM

lol, a little harsh don't you think? haa, i simple answer would have sufficed, not criticisms on how I'm trying to run a nuclear plant ;) 
m
l
a b ) Power supply
November 6, 2009 5:54:21 PM

delluser1 said:
There are no Seasonic built OCZ's that I've heard of , Antec still has a couple.
PS; the Kingwin only has 81 amps available to it's six 12v rails.

+12V1@20A,+12V2@20A,+12V3@20A, +12V4@35A,
+12V5@35A,+12V6@20A,

Isn't that 150 amps?

Just joking with you, Pluke. It should work for you. No, it's not the best brand out there and yes it is overkill but it will do the job.
m
l
November 6, 2009 6:02:08 PM

I'm not sure the quality of the unit is going to come in to play here since it'll be so under-utilized. If that PSU could support a full load even for 1 second, I imagine it'll outlast the OP's rig (and probably his next!) if he's running it at 30-40% utilization. Although, I imagine this negatively impacts its efficiency though.
m
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
November 6, 2009 6:04:29 PM

TheViper said:
+12V1@20A,+12V2@20A,+12V3@20A, +12V4@35A,
+12V5@35A,+12V6@20A,

Isn't that 150 amps?

No it's not. Those are the max per rail ratings, they are not additive. Look at the label to see the wattage provided to the 12v rails, then do the math.
m
l
a c 248 ) Power supply
November 6, 2009 6:09:09 PM

Viper - Nope! Only 960 watts and 80 amps are available for the 12 volt rails. Some of the rails were soldered together.
m
l
!