Sign in with
Your question

First build, Still waiting on ram, should i be worried? No beep code

Last response: in Systems
August 11, 2009 10:18:33 AM

Well I'm building my first system.

I received everything but the ram, assembled. Then for giggles tried powering it up expecting to hear a beep code for no ram or something. What happens is CPU and case fan spin up, GPU fan does not spin at all, and I get no beep. So that made me decide to remove the video card (Now no video card AND no ram) this time definetly expecting to hear an error beep, but nothing.
t b
Now thats got me all worried I did something wrong. Does this sound wrong? I know memory is important but I just like it when things behave the way i expect them too.

Core 2 duo e8400
ASRock P45TS
Raidmax 530w modular PSU
BFG GTX 260
WD 320GB sata HDD.

And still waiting on 2x2GB G.Skill DDR3

If i'm worrying over nothing at this point could someone just tell me to calm my mind?
August 11, 2009 10:48:09 AM

Have you installed the speaker? (not normal ones but the one that actually go on the motherboard)
m
l
August 11, 2009 11:00:10 AM

Yah i did. I'm reusing an old case and the speakers should work.
m
l
Related resources
August 11, 2009 11:00:59 AM

also I'm noticing now that my motherboard has no pci-e retention clip or latch to secure the video card. is this normal?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 11, 2009 2:41:22 PM

I know you're looking for someone to tell you something to calm your mind, but I've got a little bad news for you. Raidmax PSU's have very poor quality. I suppose it's to late to return any of the parts, right? Is this your PSU?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If it is, it's going to have a hard time powering the GTX 260. The little red voltage switch on the back of the PSU indicates it does not have active PFC and the 12v Amp rating and efficiency are both pretty low. I don't mean to depress you, but you should really return that POS power supply and get a quality unit from Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, Antec, etc... A cheap PSU will cause all sorts of problems ranging from system instability to fried components.

Did you have both 6-pin PCI-E power connectors plugged into the GPU when you tried to power it on? Did you also have both the main 24-pin motherboard power connector and 4-pin CPU power plugged in?

This PSU only costs $20 more than the Raidmax one and is MUCH better.

Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W Continuous Power ATX12V Ver.2.2 / EPS12V version 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Retail $79.99
m
l
August 11, 2009 6:44:25 PM

Yah thats it... Damn if theres a problem actually I hope thats it, I can test it with another PSU tomorrow... Also RAM was delivered today but to my parents address which is about an hour drive away... if it stops raining i'm gonna go get it!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 12, 2009 6:45:07 AM

The problem with testing using another working PSU is that it needs to come from an equivalent or better system.

For example, pulling a working 400 watt generic from another system is not going to help because it probably will not work in your system.
m
l
!