Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

AMD or INTEL

Last response: in CPUs
Share
November 6, 2009 5:37:37 PM

Hey ther guys i am a total noob and getting ready set forth on my first computer build. so i have a question or two on which CPU to get. Well first off my rig is going to be soley for gaming and internet use and thats it no downloading movies or music or pictures blah blah blah! I know the intel cards have great reviews and out perform the AMD's in some test's but the AMD give great bang for the buck should i go ahead and drop the extra coin on the I7 920 quad or just stick with Amd phenom 2X4 965 black edition.Im just not sure the performance gian is worth the extra money spent.

More about : amd intel

November 6, 2009 5:48:15 PM

Hi BiosloT

I will advise you to rather go fot the Intel i7 920 , its faster than the current AMD's , but the Intel i7 920 will also stay alot faster for alot longer. And the CPU overclocks very well.

Enjoy the i7 , i myself own one best buy i ever made! :)  You will not be dissapointed!
a b à CPUs
November 6, 2009 5:52:31 PM

It depends on which set of thieving b@stardz you choose to support: The ones who use insider trading to enrich themselves while running their company into the ground, or the ones who illegally pay vendors to not support the first group... Be careful which side you choose, because you might just get sent to the Group W bench, which is where they put you if you may not be moral enough to purchase a processor after committing your special crime. So instead of a new computer, you have to sit in this special area, away from "Proper" enthusiasts, and where there are all kinds of mean nasty ugly looking people on the bench... Mother rapers. Father stabbers. Father Rapers!

You know - The normal stuff enthusiasts of one side call supporters of the Evil Company on the other side...
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b à CPUs
November 6, 2009 5:55:00 PM

Oh - For gaming: You'll want a reasonably fast Quad, and if/when you're on a budget you're better off overspending on graphics rather than a Proccy.


...just don't let anyone know which side you picked, lest you be flamed for the "wrong" decision! :p 
November 6, 2009 5:55:39 PM

every one knows the 920i are "better" cpu's... the give better performance for a little more $$$, thing is... do you need the extra performance? if not get the phenom... personally i have a 955 and it serves me well... i only do a bit of gamming and the only thing thats crampying my style a bit is the 4870 :p  need one of those new 5870 xD...
November 6, 2009 6:10:07 PM

Hey thanks guys im not on a budget persay but i dont want to loose my mind either...and im not even a hardcore gammer(ok maybe a little its a sickness) i just want a good solid system that will play all the new games coming out in the near to distant future with High res and great detail. Dont want to waste money on something when i can buy a cheaper one that gives the same performance. :sol: 
November 6, 2009 6:11:16 PM

Ignore Scotteq! Litterbugs have no credibility.

And don't worry... I have twenty seven eight-by-ten color glossy photographs with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each one was to be used as evidence against you.
a b à CPUs
November 6, 2009 6:15:25 PM

But.. but... there were two piles... and one was way down at the bottom of a hill. And everyone knows that one pile of garbage is better than two! So... rather than bring the other one up, we just threw ours down!


Ummm.. your name wouldn't be Obie, would it?

<goes for the "Blind Justice" defense>
a b à CPUs
November 6, 2009 6:18:44 PM

bioslut said:
Hey thanks guys im not on a budget persay but i dont want to loose my mind either...and im not even a hardcore gammer(ok maybe a little its a sickness) i just want a good solid system that will play all the new games coming out in the near to distant future with High res and great detail. Dont want to waste money on something when i can buy a cheaper one that gives the same performance. :sol: 



I dont' recommend buying cheeze under any circumstances - Quality components make a better and longer lasting computer. Within those bounds, though, weight your purchase with an eye towards more graphics power. And if buying one guy's stuff saves you enough to get a better card then you might otherwise? Then mark one in the "win" column. ;) 
November 6, 2009 6:36:03 PM

your pots is saying undirectly that AMD components are of lower quality lol...

the thing is easy... if you game more then you use cpu intensive go AMD and get a nice (pair) of graphic card(s), if on the other hand you photoshop a LOT or something like that and you need a faster CPU, go for it... (btw graphics are starting to replace cpu's in heavy duty tasks so you might have a small look at that to)
a b à CPUs
November 6, 2009 6:44:05 PM

Quote:
your pots is saying undirectly that AMD components are of lower quality lol...


Kindly do not read your personal interpretations into what I'm saying. There are quality components for AMD based systems just like there are for any other maker. I'm saying 'don't buy crap and expect it to perform well or to last'. I mean this in the sense that if you buy a $50 blue light special motherboard at Fry~Mart, then you shouldn't expect high levels of performance and reliability, regarldless of who's processor it happens to accept. No more, no less.
November 6, 2009 6:50:04 PM

Thanks for the input guys and i wasnt trying to say AMD is of lower quality just lower in price and bench mark test show them to score a little lower in some areas. I was just wondering do i need to go all out with the intel 920 just for gaming or get the AMD for less money with same gaming results.....looking at getting GTX 295 video card as well.
November 6, 2009 7:00:06 PM

no don't waste $$$ for 295
get the 5870 or wait 300GT
November 6, 2009 7:26:23 PM

Diabolix said:
Hi BiosloT

I will advise you to rather go fot the Intel i7 920 , its faster than the current AMD's , but the Intel i7 920 will also stay alot faster for alot longer. And the CPU overclocks very well.

Enjoy the i7 , i myself own one best buy i ever made! :)  You will not be dissapointed!



Core i7 920 2.66GHz is:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

$280

Phenom II 3.20GHz:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

$185

The Phenom II overclocks to 4Ghz air cooled.
He doesn't need to spend $95 more to play games.

Phenom II 3.4Ghz:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...
$209.99

Still a huge savings. Money that can go for a bigger monitor.

Phenom II is the wiser choice. Performance for less money.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB0JodKgZ0A
a b à CPUs
November 6, 2009 10:19:34 PM

bioslut said:
Hey ther guys i am a total noob and getting ready set forth on my first computer build. so i have a question or two on which CPU to get. Well first off my rig is going to be soley for gaming and internet use and thats it no downloading movies or music or pictures blah blah blah! I know the intel cards have great reviews and out perform the AMD's in some test's but the AMD give great bang for the buck should i go ahead and drop the extra coin on the I7 920 quad or just stick with Amd phenom 2X4 965 black edition.Im just not sure the performance gian is worth the extra money spent.

You mentioned wanting to play games and surf the internet.

If I were you I would not be looking at an Intel Core i7 for these tasks. The Intel Core i7 is the most powerful consumer desktop processor on the planet. That having been said, gaming relies mainly on the Graphics card used nowadays. What you will find is at resolutions beyond 1680x1050... there really is no difference between the Phenom II X4 and a Core i7.

That being said you do have another choice. This choice is in the form of the Intel Core i5 and i7 Lynnfield socket 1156 based processors (not to be mistaken with Bloomfield Core i7 socket 1366 processors). The Intel Lynnfield based processors (particularly the Core i5 750) is faster than a Phenom II X4 in a multitude of tasks, close in performance in gaming scenarios (often being a bit faster than a Phenom II X4) and being competitive on the price. This could be worth looking into.

If you choose to go AMD I would advise against a Phenom II X4 965 as it is useless (it's more money for relatively little benefit over the 955). The CPUs I would recommend (AMD wise) would be the Phenom II X4 955 or the Phenom II X3 720.

Happy Building :) 
November 6, 2009 10:36:54 PM

yup
November 6, 2009 10:49:45 PM

Thanks for all the input guy's i will do some soul searching lol
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
November 7, 2009 12:56:27 AM

Scotteq said:
It depends on which set of thieving b@stardz you choose to support: The ones who use insider trading to enrich themselves while running their company into the ground, or the ones who illegally pay vendors to not support the first group... Be careful which side you choose, because you might just get sent to the Group W bench, which is where they put you if you may not be moral enough to purchase a processor after committing your special crime. So instead of a new computer, you have to sit in this special area, away from "Proper" enthusiasts, and where there are all kinds of mean nasty ugly looking people on the bench... Mother rapers. Father stabbers. Father Rapers!

You know - The normal stuff enthusiasts of one side call supporters of the Evil Company on the other side...


[:mousemonkey:5]
November 7, 2009 2:44:52 AM

ElMoIsEviL said:
You mentioned wanting to play games and surf the internet.

If I were you I would not be looking at an Intel Core i7 for these tasks. The Intel Core i7 is the most powerful consumer desktop processor on the planet. That having been said, gaming relies mainly on the Graphics card used nowadays. What you will find is at resolutions beyond 1680x1050... there really is no difference between the Phenom II X4 and a Core i7.

That being said you do have another choice. This choice is in the form of the Intel Core i5 and i7 Lynnfield socket 1156 based processors (not to be mistaken with Bloomfield Core i7 socket 1366 processors). The Intel Lynnfield based processors (particularly the Core i5 750) is faster than a Phenom II X4 in a multitude of tasks, close in performance in gaming scenarios (often being a bit faster than a Phenom II X4) and being competitive on the price. This could be worth looking into.

If you choose to go AMD I would advise against a Phenom II X4 965 as it is useless (it's more money for relatively little benefit over the 955). The CPUs I would recommend (AMD wise) would be the Phenom II X4 955 or the Phenom II X3 720.

Happy Building :) 



definitely agree unless you plan on quadfire :D  if you have any desire for a 5970x2 setup id go with the i7 920
!