M9340f upgrade graphics card,psu, and case

kevinmillions

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
Hey whats up man! I made the mistake to buy an HP m9340f well not a mistake but for gaming yeah. The CPU is great RAM is great but graphics oh my god bad! 9500gs! lol so i've been doing some research and i want to upgrade my system to a XFX 250gts.
I Know i need to upgrade the PSU so i am planning to buy a Corsair 550w.
Will this be compatible with my system after the upgrade of the 250gts? Will it fry my motherboard because an HP technician told me i am limited to 450w psu is that even true!? I have never heard about that and trust me i have looked everywhere for wattage limits as so they tell me. Also then i spoke to another HP technician and he told me it will work great so really i am not sure so i am asking you for advice.
Now i want to migrate the PC's components to a Antec 300 case for better cooling. Will this work? Also will like the slots go in with the cutouts on the case? I know its compatible because on Antec.com it says micro-atx compatible so yea but i mean the ports.
From your point of view and knowledge and experience do you think the upgrade is possible? Also and will not damage my pc in any way or kill it? Or be unstable?

Kevin.

You are fine with that upgrade...And Antec 300 should be able to fit that mobo unless HP is using some other form factor other than mATX...

And even I dont see the link between the PSU and mobo...I only know that the mobo and PSU must have the same 24 Pin/ 20 Pin connector to work...and it doesnt have to do much with the power ratings of the PSU on a whole...

kevinmillions

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009

ok thank you very much and So will everything work out ok? no damaging or killing the system? or it being unstable and is the psu compatible with my rig cpu mobo etc.. and as you mentioned about the connectors so is it compatible??

thanks in advance!

Kevin

The HP technician has really confused you a lot :p
Your mobo and the other parts are very much compatible to the case, PSU and the graphics card...
You just have to take care that you plug in the right connectors to the mobo from the PSU and other fan connectors to the mobo...

kevinmillions

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009

Thanks dude you rock!! yea those Hp techs suck.lol so i will take that as a yes to upgrade right? and i am looking forward once i get the case to add a side fan and 2 intake fans up front will my psu still support that? and can you please respond to my last 2 questions

1 have you ever heard of psu or wattage limits/restrictions

2. have you ever helped someone with an hp that wanted to upgrade and everything went well??

Kevin.

^ No I have not heard of wattage limits/ restrictions...
I just know of wattage restrictions on mobos w.r.t the CPU TDP... i.e you cant use a CPU with higher TDP on a mobo that cannot handle it even though being the same socket...

And I have helped with a Dell upgrade and not with a HP...but have seen many on the Internet doing it...

kevinmillions

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009

And does that apply to me? Can you please explain more about tdp and w.r.t? im a noob on power and cpus lol

^ No...as you are just changing the PSU and the case, you dont have any problem...
It will only apply when you are changing the CPU from your current system...

TDP on the mobo is the maximum power envelope that the mobo can support -
For eg : A 95W TDP board cannot support a 125W TDP CPU as it doesnt have sufficient power for stable operation of the CPU...

But a higher TDP mobo can support lower TDP CPU without a problem...

TDP on the CPU is the maximum amount of power the CPU draws for its operation...But the actual power consumption of the CPU would vary depending on various factors such as Overclocking, any power saving mode enabled, etc...

kevinmillions

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009

Again Thank you very much you rock you have been a great help!

So should i go for the upgrade> and will my system be stable what do you think?

My system specs before and after(if possible)
Now:
intel core 2 quad q6700 2.66ghz
Geforce 9500gs
6gigs of ram
350w power supply
stock hp case

After(if possible thats why i want to know if it will be stable and should i go for it.)
intel core 2 quad q6700 2.66ghz
EVGA 250 GTS
6gigs of ram
550w Corsair PSU
Antec 300 Case

One Last Question Including The 2 above ^
Will The PSU Power my System well?

kevinmillions

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009

Yea! Sorry if i am being a bother first time upgrading and i don't want anything bad happening so yeah. So i will go for the upgrde i am gonna get on a plane in tomorrow to go back to US im in Peru right now

thanks guys you've been a great help for me and i will be going for the upgrade in about 1 to 2 weeks.

take care bye!

Kevinmillions

and if you are wondering why i have millions at the end its because my last name is millones (spanish) translated to millions(english) lol so yeah

again thanks bye!

kevinmillions

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009

Yeah.. thanks hope it works out good!
thanks again for the help!
take care

Kevin