AT&T GSM in California 1900MHz or 850MHz

Does anyone know what frequency the AT&T (as opposed to Cingular) network
operates on in California?
10 answers Last reply
More about california 1900mhz 850mhz

    On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 19:07:30 GMT, "Richie" <mbc@pcbell.net> wrote:

    >Does anyone know what frequency the AT&T (as opposed to Cingular) network
    >operates on in California?

    Depending on where you are in California anywhere that AT&T Wireless
    was operating in California they were either using 800 (if they were
    one of the cellular operators in that market) or 1900. They operated
    with 1900 in all their markets (which is why AT&T Wireless offered GSM
    before cingular did other than in the native PCS markets of
    CA/NV/WA/NC/SC and parts of eastern Tennessee.

    I don't know it city by city in California, but in the SF Bay Area I
    believe there's some of each frequency. I think ATTWS began rolling out
    GSM at 1900 because all of its 800 spectrum was taken up by AMPS and
    TDMA and whatever other legacy services it was offering. I think they
    only began adding GSM at 800 as they got enough 800 TDMA/AMPS handsets
    out of circulation.

    --
    Frank Harris in San Francisco

    On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 05:32:30 GMT, Frank Harris
    <frankbhX@XcompuserveX.com> wrote:

    >I don't know it city by city in California, but in the SF Bay Area I
    >believe there's some of each frequency. I think ATTWS began rolling out
    >GSM at 1900 because all of its 800 spectrum was taken up by AMPS and
    >TDMA and whatever other legacy services it was offering. I think they
    >only began adding GSM at 800 as they got enough 800 TDMA/AMPS handsets
    >out of circulation.

    cingular was always 1900 in California, Nevada and Washington state as
    it was the legacy Pacific Bell Wireless PCS network. cingular never
    had any 800/850 coverage in California. They were never a cellular
    operator and were just PCS.

    When cingular bought out AT&T Wireless AT&T Wireless is one of the
    cellular operators in California, Nevada and Washington cingular has
    access to the former AT&T Wireless cellular frequencies and networks.
    assuming that cingular has enabled access to the former AT&T Wireless
    network. If not they are still using the legacy 1900 network and have
    contracted with T-Mobile who they sold the network to that they
    provide service to cingular for at least three years until cingular
    transitions their present customers from the old network to the
    network that they bought from AT&T Wireless.

    I tried a test and I believe that in San Diego, the AT&T network is 850MHz.
    With a 1900 only handset, i don't see the AT&T network but with a
    850/1900MHz, i see it in Network Selections (using a foreign sim for the
    test)

    I had Cingular change my service to prefer AT&T over Cingular and service at
    my home is now excellent with 5 bars. I can talk everywhere including the
    walk-in closet and the bathroom.

    The reason i asked the question in the first place is to find out if I
    needed a phone that is 850MHz capable. It seems like it's much better -- at
    least in San Diego County.

    "Frank Harris" <frankbhX@XcompuserveX.com> wrote in message
    >I don't know it city by city in California, but in the SF Bay Area I
    >believe there's some of each frequency. I think ATTWS began rolling out
    >GSM at 1900 because all of its 800 spectrum was taken up by AMPS and TDMA
    >and whatever other legacy services it was offering. I think they only
    >began adding GSM at 800 as they got enough 800 TDMA/AMPS handsets out of
    >circulation.
    >
    > Richie wrote:
    >> Does anyone know what frequency the AT&T (as opposed to Cingular) network
    >> operates on in California?
    >
    > --
    > Frank Harris in San Francisco

    I had heard the 850 rollout was later because there wasn't a currently a
    GSM standard in that frequency, and it had to be perfected. I always
    thought this made sense as it's not a commone frequency to be used in
    the world, most less for GSM. 1900 was close enough to 1800 that only
    minor tweaks had to be made (which is another possible reason that most
    (if not all) world phones have 1800 AND 1900.

    Any thoughts on this?

    TH

    > I don't know it city by city in California, but in the SF Bay Area I
    > believe there's some of each frequency. I think ATTWS began rolling out
    > GSM at 1900 because all of its 800 spectrum was taken up by AMPS and
    > TDMA and whatever other legacy services it was offering. I think they
    > only began adding GSM at 800 as they got enough 800 TDMA/AMPS handsets
    > out of circulation.
    >
    > Richie wrote:
    >
    >> Does anyone know what frequency the AT&T (as opposed to Cingular)
    >> network operates on in California?

    Richie,

    I tried to get Cingular to switch me to ATT as well, but they couldnt. What
    phone do you have? Do you have a 64k sim card? How were you able to do
    this? Thanks.

    "Richie" <mbc@pcbell.net> wrote in message
    >I tried a test and I believe that in San Diego, the AT&T network is 850MHz.
    > With a 1900 only handset, i don't see the AT&T network but with a
    > 850/1900MHz, i see it in Network Selections (using a foreign sim for the
    > test)
    >
    > I had Cingular change my service to prefer AT&T over Cingular and service
    > at my home is now excellent with 5 bars. I can talk everywhere including
    > the walk-in closet and the bathroom.
    >
    > The reason i asked the question in the first place is to find out if I
    > needed a phone that is 850MHz capable. It seems like it's much better --
    > at least in San Diego County.
    >

    > "Frank Harris" <frankbhX@XcompuserveX.com> wrote in message
    >>I don't know it city by city in California, but in the SF Bay Area I
    >>believe there's some of each frequency. I think ATTWS began rolling out
    >>GSM at 1900 because all of its 800 spectrum was taken up by AMPS and TDMA
    >>and whatever other legacy services it was offering. I think they only
    >>began adding GSM at 800 as they got enough 800 TDMA/AMPS handsets out of
    >>circulation.
    >>
    >> Richie wrote:
    >>> Does anyone know what frequency the AT&T (as opposed to Cingular)
    >>> network operates on in California?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Frank Harris in San Francisco

    I have an LG L1400.

    You need a 64k sim card. And you need a new ENS capable phone -- one that
    is less than a few months old. Any new phone you buy from Cingular will be
    ENS capable but it must be new.

    I called Customer Care then asked to be transferred to Technical Support to
    resolve a connection issue. The customer care people don't know anything
    about this so please be patient with them. Technical support however was
    very helpful.

    Btw, you cannot tell if a phone is ENS capable until you talk to technical
    support and they input your IMEI number into their system.

    I suggest you don't buy your phone on eBay because those phones maybe old
    stock and not ENS capable. It may take some time for the old stock to clear
    the supply chain. Remember, you don't need an ENS capable phone unless you
    want to prefer Blue over Orange. If you use an AT&T sim, you already prefer
    Blue, regardless of the phone.

    "Halogen8" <halogen8@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Richie,
    >
    > I tried to get Cingular to switch me to ATT as well, but they couldnt.
    > What phone do you have? Do you have a 64k sim card? How were you able to
    > do this? Thanks.
    >

    > "Richie" <mbc@pcbell.net> wrote in message
    >>I tried a test and I believe that in San Diego, the AT&T network is
    >>850MHz.
    >> With a 1900 only handset, i don't see the AT&T network but with a
    >> 850/1900MHz, i see it in Network Selections (using a foreign sim for the
    >> test)
    >>
    >> I had Cingular change my service to prefer AT&T over Cingular and service
    >> at my home is now excellent with 5 bars. I can talk everywhere including
    >> the walk-in closet and the bathroom.
    >>
    >> The reason i asked the question in the first place is to find out if I
    >> needed a phone that is 850MHz capable. It seems like it's much better --
    >> at least in San Diego County.
    >>

    >> "Frank Harris" <frankbhX@XcompuserveX.com> wrote in message
    >>>I don't know it city by city in California, but in the SF Bay Area I
    >>>believe there's some of each frequency. I think ATTWS began rolling out
    >>>GSM at 1900 because all of its 800 spectrum was taken up by AMPS and TDMA
    >>>and whatever other legacy services it was offering. I think they only
    >>>began adding GSM at 800 as they got enough 800 TDMA/AMPS handsets out of
    >>>circulation.

    >>> --
    >>> Frank Harris in San Francisco

    That would explain it. I have a Nokia 6230, but it is not ENS capable. I
    found the IMEI range that is capable, and my phone was made before.

    I have however found a way to switch networks using AT commands through
    bluetooth. But this is inconvenient, as I can only do this when I'm near my
    laptop.

    I wish cingular would just enable the network selection in their sims. I
    wonder why they took that away?

    >I have an LG L1400.
    >
    > You need a 64k sim card. And you need a new ENS capable phone -- one that
    > is less than a few months old. Any new phone you buy from Cingular will
    > be ENS capable but it must be new.
    >
    > I called Customer Care then asked to be transferred to Technical Support
    > to resolve a connection issue. The customer care people don't know
    > anything about this so please be patient with them. Technical support
    > however was very helpful.
    >
    > Btw, you cannot tell if a phone is ENS capable until you talk to technical
    > support and they input your IMEI number into their system.
    >
    > I suggest you don't buy your phone on eBay because those phones maybe old
    > stock and not ENS capable. It may take some time for the old stock to
    > clear the supply chain. Remember, you don't need an ENS capable phone
    > unless you want to prefer Blue over Orange. If you use an AT&T sim, you
    > already prefer Blue, regardless of the phone.
    >

    > "Halogen8" <halogen8@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Richie,
    >>
    >> I tried to get Cingular to switch me to ATT as well, but they couldnt.
    >> What phone do you have? Do you have a 64k sim card? How were you able
    >> to do this? Thanks.
    >>

    >> "Richie" <mbc@pcbell.net> wrote in message
    >>>I tried a test and I believe that in San Diego, the AT&T network is
    >>>850MHz.
    >>> With a 1900 only handset, i don't see the AT&T network but with a
    >>> 850/1900MHz, i see it in Network Selections (using a foreign sim for the
    >>> test)
    >>>
    >>> I had Cingular change my service to prefer AT&T over Cingular and
    >>> service at my home is now excellent with 5 bars. I can talk everywhere
    >>> including the walk-in closet and the bathroom.
    >>>
    >>> The reason i asked the question in the first place is to find out if I
    >>> needed a phone that is 850MHz capable. It seems like it's much
    >>> better -- at least in San Diego County.
    >>>

    >>> "Frank Harris" <frankbhX@XcompuserveX.com> wrote in message

    > had heard the 850 rollout was later because there wasn't a currently
    > a GSM standard in that frequency, and it had to be perfected

    Who told you that? Other than defining the RF channel numbers, the GSM
    air-interface standard is frequency agnostic. Here is a snippet from
    GSM World:

    "In principle the GSM system can be implemented in any frequency band.
    However there are several bands where GSM terminals are, or will
    shortly be available. Furthermore, GSM terminals may incorporate one or
    more of the GSM frequency bands listed below to facilitate roaming on a
    global basis"

    GSM is deployed in the 400,850,900,1800,1900 bands

    Source: http://www.gsmworld.com/technology/spectrum/frequencies.shtml

    In Chicago & other markets Cingular has GSM in the 850 MHz band.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    --
    zzyzx

Cingular At&T GSM Internet Service Providers