panacuba

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2008
As the Thread name says, I wanna know if its possible to use a SAS drive with SATA cables to connect it to a normal computer?

4745454b

Titan
I've been told you can use a SATA cable to hook up a SAS drive, but most desktops don't have the SAS controller. (some x58 boards do.) It will physically plug in, but the controller won't be able to work the drive. Agreed with Ubrales, it won't work.

This is an enclosure that may be used for SATA or SAS, but you still need the controller card for SAS in order to use this enclosure.

panacuba

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2008
Thanks ubrales, one last question, the sas disks I wanna use are a 146GB 10k SAS from HP, I think they use 29 pins. Could you please point me to a good cheap PCI-e SAS Card Controller on newegg...

thnx in advance

They are all awfully expensive, and I don't recognize some of the brands. Anyway, here they are. Read reviews and pick one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=sas+controller+card&x=15&y=30

Another option is to sell it. In case you want to sell it, please send me a PM.

panacuba

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2008
First I wanna try if they work, cuz i got them from my boss at the bank, and i dont know if they work properly and i wont sell you something that is broken. and secondly i live in panama and its hard for me to send something to the USA.

TRENDING THREADS