Sign in with
Your question

Floppy drive cannot read

Last response: in Windows XP
January 19, 2012 5:03:39 AM

Hi helper,
My floppy drive cannot see any good disc, despite the light is on and the driver is properly installed I have tried a new internal one with no difference. The usb external drive can read some discs but is registered by Windows as floppy B and therefore cannot work with norton ghost_ even if I disabled/deleted floppy A. I have no issue with my previous main board until this new board&CPU The driver is from window xp and worked well with the old board. What can I do to make it work ?

More about : floppy drive read

January 19, 2012 10:56:38 AM

Some floppy cables aren't one way, meaning they can be plugged in upside down. Check your cable and make sure it's inserted properly. Also, make sure your floppy controller is enabled in the bios and appears correctly in the device manager.
m
l
January 28, 2012 7:35:44 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
Some floppy cables aren't one way, meaning they can be plugged in upside down. Check your cable and make sure it's inserted properly. Also, make sure your floppy controller is enabled in the bios and appears correctly in the device manager.

Thank you for your reply,
I have checked the cable with no 1 red edge on the same side with the floppy and hard drives. The other end is one way to the board with the notch in the middle of the plastic plugin cap. Bios does see floppy drive A and the device manager shows no problem with the floppy My windows xp is 32 bit. Would it be relevant if windows 64 is installed?
m
l
Related resources
January 30, 2012 5:16:30 PM

It shouldn't matter if the OS is 32 or 64 bit as long as the correct drivers are installed.
m
l
February 2, 2012 2:43:37 AM

Hawkeye22 said:
It shouldn't matter if the OS is 32 or 64 bit as long as the correct drivers are installed.

Would you send me the link to download the driver? Thank you
m
l
February 2, 2012 10:23:44 AM

sounds to me like you need a new drive you should be able to get one for less then £10
m
l
February 2, 2012 10:49:28 AM

tomtem said:
Would you send me the link to download the driver? Thank you

Windows has native floppy drivers. Just delete the floppy drive from device manager and reboot. Windows will detect the drive and reinstall drivers. For usb/external floppies, the drive must be connected and turned on for it to show up in device manager.
m
l
February 11, 2012 8:11:09 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
Windows has native floppy drivers. Just delete the floppy drive from device manager and reboot. Windows will detect the drive and reinstall drivers. For usb/external floppies, the drive must be connected and turned on for it to show up in device manager.

I did that but it still didnot read any disc. The green led light is always on
m
l
February 13, 2012 10:43:47 AM

At this point it sounds like the drive might be bad. Can you test the drive in another computer?
m
l
February 14, 2012 1:27:31 AM

it worked well with the old board. I have just upgraded the board cpu and memory
m
l
!