Solved

The right SSD for me

I've spent the the last couple of hours checking out SSD articles/reviews and its all pretty confusing. Damn, storage used to be one of the easier parts to pick... Anyways apart from all the numbers and parameters that I understand little of, I picked up that SSD choice (like other parts I guess) depends on your system and what you want to do so I'm Hoping you guys can recommend a nice one for me.

My system:
Gigabyte X58A-UD3R <-- 6gb Marvell 9128 ( I read it was dodgy with 6gb SSD)
Intel X58
Intel Core i7 950 @ 3066MHz
3 x 2048 DDR3-SDRAM
AMD Radeon HD 6870
Western Digital WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0 ATA Device (1000GB)
Western Digital WD5001AALS-00F41A0 ATA Device (500GB)
WD 5000AAV External (500GB)
LG Electronics W2453 - 24 inches
Philips Philips 220CW - 22 inches
Realtek Semiconductor RTL8168/8111 PCIe Gigabit Ethernet Adapter
Windows 7 Ultimate Professional

What I do:
I do web graphics/animation and video stuff for work (Photoshop, Flash, Illustrator, After effects).
I record some music (Cubase).
I occasionally play some resource intensive games.
I usually have a lot of windows/apps open at once switch between them as i work.

Right now I guess I'm looking at the OCZ Vertex 3 and the Crucial M4 (120/128gb) but I'm open to suggestions, dont have to have the newest one if I'm not gonna really benefit from it much. I only plan on putting the OS and programs the SSD, so apart from quick OS/app loading times, will it give me much of an advantage when working on files that are on a separate HDD?

Thanks.
3 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about tomshardware
  1. Best answer
    I would think about running the OCZ RevoDrive x2 160GB, if you can budget it in.

Other than that drive, I would consider going with the Intel 320 on the SATA II port. The Marville controller is buggy on the UD3R. You will have better luck on the SATA II ports & the Intel drives are perfect drives for your needs.
  2. The RevoDrive is is very nice but out of my budget. I just picked up the Intel 320.
    Gonna install it now. Thanks.
  3. Best answer selected by r3tox.
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD Storage Product