Issues with sound - realtek audio 97, windows xp

sarahharries

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
Hi there, I think I've done something silly. Was attempting to increase the sound level on my old computer, i'm not great with computers so was basically having a muck around. I turned on and maxed up levels on equaliser on sound effect manager and sound and audio devices, deleted and reinstalled Realtek Audio 97 and downloaded Max Driver and updated a couple of drivers.

Result? suddenly my sound and video went very stuttery and jittery.

As i didn't know what bit of the above (or a combination thereof) had caused it I went into system restore and restored the system to a point prior to my mucking about. This has had zero effect. i've still got the same audio/visual problem. I'm really flummoxed as to what to do now. Any advice very gratefully received!

thanks, Sarahx

sarahharries

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012

ahh, sadly not. I followed the link and downloaded and installed the XP version WDM_A406.exe. When that failed, went to control panel, deleted realtek and then reinstalled and restarted. Still the same :(

any other suggestions?
xx

There is a sound troubleshooter: In Control Panel select "Sounds and Audio Devices."

-- On the Volume tab, Speaker settings, press the Advanced button:
-- Speakers tab: Make sure the setup matches you speaker configuration.
-- Performance tab: press the Restore Defaults button
-- When you are done press the OK button

-- On the Hardware tab, select Realtek AC97:
-- press the Properties button, on the General tab: check the Device status. On the Properties tab, confirm that Realtek is the audio for each device listed. On the Drivers tab, confirm that the driver is the one you installed today. Then press the OK button.
-- Press the Troubleshoot button, and windows troubleshooter will walk you through its menus.

Let us know if you got your sound back.