Hacks and EPs

What should one do when Nightlife comes out? I didn't have any hacks
at the time of University - lots of downloaded clothes, hair and
objects but no actual hacks (I think). Now I have a whole pile of them
from variousimmers and am pondering if I should remove them when I get
Nightlife.

Do we know if NL will address some of the bugs of the current game?
Will practicing piano once again be a fun thing to do? (yes, I have the
pianofix hack, I'd hate to go back to that being unfun for my sims).

Aah.

~*~
vecki

Try putting all your hacks into a folder, then just removing that folder
before installing nightlife.

"vecki" <vecsta02@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> What should one do when Nightlife comes out? I didn't have any hacks
> at the time of University - lots of downloaded clothes, hair and
> objects but no actual hacks (I think). Now I have a whole pile of them
> from variousimmers and am pondering if I should remove them when I get
> Nightlife.
>
> Do we know if NL will address some of the bugs of the current game?
> Will practicing piano once again be a fun thing to do? (yes, I have the
> pianofix hack, I'd hate to go back to that being unfun for my sims).
>
> Aah.
>
> ~*~
> vecki

Yes, you should remove them. When the new EP comes out it is designed to
patch and add to the game - new EPs usually rewrite or augment large areas
of code. What it is expecting to do during installation is rewrite the code
of the original game - AS IT LEFT THE MANUFACTURER. When you put in a hack,
you alter that coding, albeit in a small way for the most part. This is
fine but you can't seriously expect Maxis to write a patch/EP that takes
account of all the code-altering hacks that we have. I got a bit annoyed
when University came out with all the people moaning about all the trouble
they had with installation. 99 times out of a 100, it turned out, they had
hacks in their game. The installation stalled on them - well, what do you
honestly expect? Sorry, as I say it did start to grate.

Anyway, find them in your Downloads folder, stick 'em in a sub-folder and
when the time comes remove it. Actually, possibly the best thing to do is
remove the Downloads folder entirely when you install - which is what I
intended to do when I installed University but forgot. I didn't have any
hacks then either and it was fine. Use Clean Installer to find them - the
hacks show up as red - though I have to say not every single one does which
is a bit annoying. As I keep careful track of what I put in the game, I
have always put the hacks in a separate folder so I do know where they are.
If you can remember what you put in, you should be able to find them by
their file name.

I think your point about what will get fixed is a good one and, hopefully,
some hacks will become redundant. In fact, several will probably become
unstable and we'll have to wait for a fix from the makers. It will be
worthwhile having a good look at what Maxis say they have done with the new
EP - the information should appear on the main site shortly before or at
release. If you're really interested, you can also follow the subsequent
discussion at Mod the Sims or other hack sites like Various Simmers.

Best wishes
Maxon

"vecki" <vecsta02@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> What should one do when Nightlife comes out? I didn't have any hacks
> at the time of University - lots of downloaded clothes, hair and
> objects but no actual hacks (I think). Now I have a whole pile of them
> from variousimmers and am pondering if I should remove them when I get
> Nightlife.
>
> Do we know if NL will address some of the bugs of the current game?
> Will practicing piano once again be a fun thing to do? (yes, I have the
> pianofix hack, I'd hate to go back to that being unfun for my sims).
>
> Aah.
>
> ~*~
> vecki

> Yes, you should remove them. When the new EP comes out it is designed to
> patch and add to the game - new EPs usually rewrite or augment large areas
> of code. What it is expecting to do during installation is rewrite the
> code
> of the original game - AS IT LEFT THE MANUFACTURER. When you put in a
> hack,
> you alter that coding, albeit in a small way for the most part. This is
> fine but you can't seriously expect Maxis to write a patch/EP that takes
> account of all the code-altering hacks that we have. I got a bit annoyed
> when University came out with all the people moaning about all the trouble
> they had with installation. 99 times out of a 100, it turned out, they
> had
> hacks in their game. The installation stalled on them - well, what do you
> honestly expect? Sorry, as I say it did start to grate.

....and people are telling me I'm missing sooooo much because I stay away
from hacks.

That's exactly the "problem". Maxis only has to support what they put
out--and that's all anyone should reasonably expect from them.

At least I know if something breaks on my machine or I start getting odd
behavior after downloading something, I don't have to waste my time trying
to hunt down the culprit and sort through somebody else's mess just trying
to establish whether I can legitimately bitch to Maxis or not. I'd rather
spend my limited gaming time doing just that, gaming, and not diagnosing
software problems (I already do that all day long as a living).

It's a matter of accountability. Third-party makers didn't get any money
from me and don't have any contractual obligations towards either myself or
Maxis. They don't *have* to give a damn about what they release and whether
it breaks my system.

And before anyone points out that Maxis doesn't have any contractual
obligations towards myself either beyond the EULA (which essentially
absolves them from just about anything), I'll point out that it's still in
their best interest as a business entity, since money changed hands, to fix
bugs in their software post-release.

Betty

"vecki" <vecsta02@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> What should one do when Nightlife comes out? I didn't have any hacks
> at the time of University - lots of downloaded clothes, hair and
> objects but no actual hacks (I think). Now I have a whole pile of
> them
> from variousimmers and am pondering if I should remove them when I get
> Nightlife.
>
> Do we know if NL will address some of the bugs of the current game?
> Will practicing piano once again be a fun thing to do? (yes, I have
> the
> pianofix hack, I'd hate to go back to that being unfun for my sims).
>
> Aah.
>
> ~*~
> vecki

I guess I do everything the hard way but just like I did with The Sims 1
and all the EP's,
When I get Nightlife, I'll reinstall everything all over again. I never
had any problems with
Sims 1 and/or the EP's doing this way so I'm continuing it with Sims 2
plus all EP's. :)))

Oh yeah, I'll defrag and all that stuff before reinstalling the game.

Betty