My big list V2

:hello:

Section one
Online retailers by country

USA
Newegg USA
Circuit City Nice return policy. Good place to order a monitor if you need to get one online.
buy.com
Amazon
Tigerdirect
ZipZoomfly
Provantage
ewiz AKA SuperBiiz
Frozen CPU great for cooling supplies of all kinds and case mods.

Canada
Bestdirect
NCIX
Direct Canada
Newegg Canada
Canada Computers

UK
Microdirect
Aria PC?
Overclockers UK
Misco I need feedback on them... they look good.
Pixmania Just a gadget store but they have some good memory at good prices, and other stuff.
ebuyer
Dabs
http://www.scan.co.uk/

Europe
PC Look (France, has English version) Well organized, have some very high quality parts.
Komplett
Hardware versand

India
Lynx Chandigarh
Swami PC
Techshop
Shopmania

Australia
MSY
Techbuy good selection?
PC Case Gear
Mwave Australia
Umart
Scorpion Technology
IT Estate

International
Conrad International These guys will ship anywhere. Selection is probably better than where you live, if you need them :)
56 answers Last reply
More about list
  1. old data
  2. old data gone now
  3. Maybe this one too.
  4. Some updates
  5. ewiz http://www.ewiz.com/ sometimes have good deals
  6. Added thanks.
  7. Hiya

    Found your list of parts really informative, thanks

    I'm about to put together a HTPC and this is what I'm planning to put into it. In your opinion, any conflicts with what I've chosen, anything that you feel I should change and why? Your help would be very much appreciated.

    Case: Thermaltake DH 102 - Love the case ( mate has one)
    Audio: Auzentech X-Fi Hometheatre HD card
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Q 9550
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP 45 - DQ6
    Memory: 4 x 2 Gb DDR2
    PSU: Antec Signature 850 or Zalman 850
    Video Card: Sapphire 4850
    Hard Drive: Western Digital 2 Tb
    Optical Drive: LG Blu Ray burner
    TV Card: Some Happauge???

    Look Forward to hearing from ya.

    Thanks
  8. I feel that the I5 750 deserves a place in your list...
    It is a very good choice for people who want to go SLI...The only other alternative for a good SLI board is X58, that would be costly...
    An i5 mobo like the UD4P from gigabyte can support SLI and cost ~$150...

    And as for online retailers, www.amazon.com? I have seen cheap i7 6GB kits on sale there...
  9. http://www.warhammeralliance.com/forums/showthread.php?p=671324 <---- Here's a list of some retailers across the globe.

    btw, nice job Proxi :)
  10. gkay09 said:
    I feel that the I5 750 deserves a place in your list...
    It is a very good choice for people who want to go SLI...The only other alternative for a good SLI board is X58, that would be costly...
    An i5 mobo like the UD4P from gigabyte can support SLI and cost ~$150...

    And as for online retailers, www.amazon.com? I have seen cheap i7 6GB kits on sale there...


    gkay :hello: The i5 750 is one of the best things to come out since sliced bread. :)
  11. EDIT: This was a question to you Why_Me... :P
    ^ :P Not even your favourite i7 920 comes before that ???
  12. Ya I was noticing last night how out of date this is. I'll get to it soon.
  13. gkay09 said:
    EDIT: This was a question to you Why_Me... :P
    ^ :P Not even your favourite i7 920 comes before that ???


    I love them both. It's a toss up between the two. But they are both as good as gold...better...platinum. :sol:
  14. ^ You are the perfect fanboy for Intel they should make you their brand ambassador :sol:
    But jokes apart...more than the i5, I liked the LGA 1156 socket because of its ability to support both SLI and crossfire...
  15. gkay09 said:
    ^ You are the perfect fanboy for Intel they should make you their brand ambassador :sol:
    But jokes apart...more than the i5, I liked the LGA 1156 socket because of its ability to support both SLI and crossfire...


    Also turbo boost... not to mention hyper threading for the 860 and 870. And peeps have been getting stable and cool o/c's of 3.8 - 4.0 with the 750. :bounce:
  16. There we go.
  17. I'm surprised that this mobo isn't on your recommended list given the price point and the award that it won on this site:

    ASRock X58 Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail - $169.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157163


    -b
  18. bashful98033 said:
    I'm surprised that this mobo isn't on your recommended list given the price point and the award that it won on this site:

    ASRock X58 Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail - $169.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157163


    -b


    +1

    ASRock X58 Extreme Reviews

    http://www.motherboards.org/reviews/motherboards/1923_1.html

    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cheap-x58-motherboard,2368-3.html

    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mainboards/display/asrock-x58-extreme.html

    http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3593
  19. When I see ASRock boards in the wild that have survived intact for more than two years, I'll consider it. Until then I only see ASRock as a low budget choice.

    I say "survive intact" because I have seen ASRock boards with faulty parts, such as Ethernet, go for 4 years.

    MSI gets great reviews as well. Reviews don't assess reliability.

    Let me ask you this:
    How many people come to the forums looking to upgrade, that have machines 4 years old or more, where those machines have motherboards made by ASRock, MSI, etc.?

    I smell a poll in my future.....

    Ah here it is

    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/263479-30-working-motherboard-years
  20. Proximon said:
    When I see ASRock boards in the wild that have survived intact for more than two years, I'll consider it. Until then I only see ASRock as a low budget choice.

    I say "survive intact" because I have seen ASRock boards with faulty parts, such as Ethernet, go for 4 years.

    My ASRock is 4 years old, nothing wrong with it.

    But I won't buy another due to poor OCing.
  21. I notice the only GeForce card you recommend is the EVGA GTX260 Core 2 video card. And yet there are a TON of reports on newegg that this card has either arrived DOA or died after a few days of use. Do you have any other GeForce cards you recommend, or do you think that this is still a good card, despite the apparently high number of deaths?
  22. I think - http://www.hardwareversand.de - should get a mention for a european seller. Great pricing and it's in english to.
  23. davbeisner said:
    I notice the only GeForce card you recommend is the EVGA GTX260 Core 2 video card. And yet there are a TON of reports on newegg that this card has either arrived DOA or died after a few days of use. Do you have any other GeForce cards you recommend, or do you think that this is still a good card, despite the apparently high number of deaths?


    I generally just pick video cards based on warranty and price and cooling, not always in that order. I'll look at that when i update this sometime soon.

    @urbantoaster I'll list any place with a selection when it comes to outside US and UK ;) I don't have enough vendors in other places.
  24. Updated.
  25. Proximon said:
    When I see ASRock boards in the wild that have survived intact for more than two years, I'll consider it. Until then I only see ASRock as a low budget choice.

    I say "survive intact" because I have seen ASRock boards with faulty parts, such as Ethernet, go for 4 years.

    MSI gets great reviews as well. Reviews don't assess reliability.

    Let me ask you this:
    How many people come to the forums looking to upgrade, that have machines 4 years old or more, where those machines have motherboards made by ASRock, MSI, etc.?

    I smell a poll in my future.....

    Ah here it is

    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/263479-30-working-motherboard-years


    LOL +1 man. asrock blows IMHO, although they are owned by ASUS

    btw, good list
  26. The result of my poll was pretty surprising though :) There were a lot of ASRock votes. Not very scientific, but it was enough for me to recommend some ASRock boards.

    These days, I look very closely at voltage regulation on boards I recommend.... that reminds me, I need to put this link into my guide:

    Hardware Secret's "Everything You Need to Know About The Motherboard Voltage Regulator Circuit"
    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/616
  27. I am surprised you have the HAF 932 in your list but missed the 922. Thought its labelled a mid-tower and priced to compete with the Antec 900, its only an inch shorter and less deep than then 932 but is 1 inch wider so its internal volume is the same.


    PS - unfortunately two of your monitor links are now inactive.
  28. Wait up, I have an objection to the ASUS P7P55D because OP put it under CF. That board only had 1 PCIe X16 and PCIe X4. Definitely not a a ideal CF solution in my opinion.
  29. Thanks to both of you, changes made.

    On the HAF, I think it's ugly but effective, would rather not link the 922 :p
  30. Oh, um another mistake (actually more of a typo), under high-end P55, you linked the P7P55D Deluxe, but named it P7P55D in the forum. and under P45, you linked a GA-EP45-UD3P but named it only Gigabyte. The ASRock P45XE and GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD4P is deactivated in newegg. The rest of the Intel boards are fine (meaning link the correct board).
  31. Hey Proximon! AC just released MX-3 compound! It's supposedly really good!

    Also, what about the GA-EX58-UD5?
  32. Proximon said:
    Thanks to both of you, changes made.

    On the HAF, I think it's ugly but effective, would rather not link the 922 :p


    Amen. I think the 932 is best for water cooling, and the 1200 (Which I have) is best for air.

    The 1200 has perfect Push/pull/lift airflow, but the 932 is a little strange...
  33. I noticed the first 3 GPU's on your list were no longer available at Newegg. Can you provide some alternatives in the mid range that aren't over $200? Thanks
  34. Fixed. For under $200 you can get either a 5770 with DX 11, or a faster 4890 without.
  35. Proximon said:
    Fixed. For under $200 you can get either a 5770 with DX 11, or a faster 4890 without.


    Thank you and thank you for taking the time to make this thread. It is very informative. I realize it's hard to keep up with all the technology it changes from day to day it seems...
  36. in australian stores
    you should add MSY Technology
    Great value computer hardware store
  37. ^+1
    Little late, but another Australian store is Umart Online, just a bit more expensive, if not the same price as MSY.

    Edit: Strike OP already added them.
  38. I made some updates. There are new LGA 1156 boards out that have Lotes sockets.
  39. Just a mention i think the P7P55D-E PRO should be on the list.

    Full SATA III and Full USB3.0
  40. Yes I have been neglecting this list lately... on vacation now so I should get to it soon.
  41. I'm sorry if your still on vacation but here is another NCIX division in Canada called BestDirect (http://www.bestdirect.ca/).
  42. Add these Canadian retailers
    Tigerdirect.ca
    Canadacomputers.com
  43. JE_D said:
    Add these Canadian retailers
    Tigerdirect.ca
    Canadacomputers.com

    Canada Computers: Good!
    Tiger Direct.ca: bloated!
  44. Made some updates, but much more needs to be done.
  45. Ok then: In Canada there is a store named The Source (by Circuit City) but it's not owned by Circuit City anymore so I don't know if it's as good as Circuit City.
  46. Thank you Proximon. Your guides are extremely informative and a great help. When I finish absorbing them and make my picks, I'll post them on this forum, using the template you supplied.

    Regards,
    FredB
  47. Awesome :sol:

    But "This is a very authoritative thread on monitors" doesn't work - takes you to Anandtech forums main page.

    For SSD recommendations, maybe update Vertex to Vertex 2 and/or Intel G2 drives?
  48. I really would like to update this soon... I didn't see your comment Varis, because I lost the flag on this post. Something that happens quite a bit to me.

    I'll be sure to fix that. The Anandtech thread is out of date now anyway.
  49. senseless quote removed
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Computers Systems Product