Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Heatsink help! High profile RAM issues!

Last response: in Overclocking
October 7, 2011 7:53:36 PM

I'm upgrading and have an ASUS P8z68 v-Pro, I7-2600K, and 16 GB of Corsair Vengeance.
I don't think I will OC to the max at all. I have been reading about clearance issues with
this Mobo and the high profile RAM. I have not ordered a heatsink yet but would rather install
it now than later while the mobo is out of the case.

Has anyone out there successfully installed all 4 chips on this set-up with a non stock heat sink?
If not, I may send the RAM back for something lower profile.

Thanks

Best solution

October 7, 2011 8:40:02 PM

I have EXACTLY the same configuration as yours.

I successfully installed the Zalman CNPS 9900MAX. Here is a photo to shot its clearance (although it's not from my build):

The 9900MAX is good, but it's really expensive. If you don't want to drop all that money, you can save up by buying a similar Zalman HSF such as the 9900 LED.
October 7, 2011 9:17:40 PM

Thanks for the reply and the pic. I looked up the specs on that and it shows it as 131MM (5 inches) wide which would put it into or over the 1st RAM slot. Does it sit above it? If so, that would be ideal.
m
l
Related resources
October 8, 2011 2:23:26 AM

Looking at the pic more closely I can see that it's a Gigabyte Z68 board. Not sure if it has more room between CPU and 1st DIMM slot.
m
l
October 10, 2011 6:43:24 AM

I went ahead and ordered the cooler. Thanks for the help. I just hope the Motherboard is a keeper.
m
l
October 10, 2011 6:44:25 AM

Best answer selected by Old_FunGuy.
m
l
!