How Do I Connect A Nintendo Mega Drive To A PC Monitor?

Hi,

I found my old Mega Drive, and it still works! :D Along with Street Fighter and Sonic!

I have a 17" Dell TFT monitor, How do I hook it up to the monitor? It has a DVI and a VGA input. I was thinking on getting a converter, but I have doubts.

Any advice?
9 answers Last reply
More about connect nintendo mega drive monitor
  1. Quote:
    It is sega, not nintendo.


    Haha, I'm such a douche... Sorry, I knew that it's just I had a bunch of old consoles next to me, probbally got mixed up. I found all my old games for the Mega drive and really want to play it on my screen.

    Can you point me in the right direction?
  2. It should work via the RF input on a tv card, the input lag is most likely going to render it a pointless exercise though.
  3. Mousemonkey said:
    the input lag is most likely going to render it a pointless exercise though.


    What do you mean? Will it look horrible?

    Mousemonkey said:
    It should work via the RF input on a tv card


    This means I need to run it through a computer first... correct? I was hoping to directly find a converter to VGA or DVI.
  4. well it won't look bad but you will click a button and see the response much later, so you can't play
  5. There will be some input lag, but it will be usable.
    I got through college using a tv tuner card to hook up my ps2 to my monitor. There was a little bit of lag, but it was not bad enough to stop me from playing amplitude, guitar hero, etc...

    As for going from RF to VGA or DVI, that will require a separate box to process the video into the new format. This will probably be pretty expensive. You will likely have to run it through a "RF Modulator" to get it to RCA, then through a "TV to PC" converter to convert it to VGA. This process will probably introduce lag into the video as well, and both parts would probably run you $80 or so total. If I were you I'd pick up a TV tuner card for the pc.
  6. tsiberious said:
    There will be some input lag, but it will be usable.
    I got through college using a tv tuner card to hook up my ps2 to my monitor. There was a little bit of lag, but it was not bad enough to stop me from playing amplitude, guitar hero, etc...

    As for going from RF to VGA or DVI, that will require a separate box to process the video into the new format. This will probably be pretty expensive. You will likely have to run it through a "RF Modulator" to get it to RCA, then through a "TV to PC" converter to convert it to VGA. This process will probably introduce lag into the video as well, and both parts would probably run you $80 or so total. If I were you I'd pick up a TV tuner card for the pc.


    Hi, OK so if I run it through the PC, will it have any lag? If not, does the PC have to be turned on?

    Regards.
  7. There will be lag running it through the pc, but in my experiences it is not horrible. You will need to have the pc powered on and running the tv-tuner's application, set to full screen.
    I have an old hauppauge card from around 2001, I have not used others so I cant give a good recommendation.

    Does anybody have a recommendation for a solid tuner card for a non high-def source?
  8. O man... If only I could run it without a PC. Hmm. Looks like I'll have to purchase a big back T.V.
  9. Something like this might work:
    http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=202024665&listingid=33223237

    Edit: Here is the manual for that device, it appears to have everything you want (assuming it works as advertised):
    http://www.sterenusa.com/bssd/news/NPR_PDF/203-250TVPCconverter.pdf
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Monitors Mega Graphics