CPU, RAM, and GPU Overclocking

stewood

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
Im a bit of a newb so mind my language. So i have just buit myself a PC. the specs are:

Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor@ stock speed

EVGA SuperClocked 01G-P3-1567-KR GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 @ stock speed

Patriot G Series ‘Sector 5’ Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600@ stock speed

ASUS P8Z68-V LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750M 750W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular High Performance Power Supply

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Thermaltake Dokker Mid-Tower Computer Case Single Bay HDD Docking Station

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus

So what should I overclock and how high? Also how will this effect the life length of my build?

nna2

Distinguished
overclocking dosent directly affect the lifespan of parts, its the heat produced by the raised clock, looking through this it looks like your buying a 3rd party cooler... well it dosent look to be the worst
as for overclocking, well it would appear that you have one of asus's overclocking utility's which will basicly hold your hand while overclocking, or if you like i3 i5 and i7 processors have turbo boost ... since i do not have this board, i cant tell you where to find this but i hope this helps

Stay under Intel's voltage and temp limits and, short of a randon failure, your system will likely be obsolete long before components fail because of overclocking.

I recommend you overclock only the CPU. How far you can go depends on a lot of things including the CPU. Small variances in the components will affect the overclock. Overclocking RAM in Intel systems generally does not help that much. The video card is already factory overclocked, so I do nopt recommend that you try to overclock it either.