Sign in with
Your question

System freezes in moderate temperature

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 1, 2009 7:20:58 PM

I am having trouble with my system as it freezes during browsing while playing music in background. It happens at any time whether I run my system for 3 to 6 hours or even in 8 hours. I use USB Modem for browsing.

I previously had overheating issues (system freezes while playing high end games for 4 to 6 hours). I performed all possible tested but seemed to unhelpful.

My GPU Temp is 61 to 63 Celsius in idle and load. After increasing GPU fan to 5%, temp significantly went down to 47 to 49 Celsius. I thought my freezing problem went away. But I was wrong. It's happening again.

Is graphics card faulty?

Is it the problem of motherboard?

Is it problem with USB Modem which is not supported with motherboard?

My specs:

*XFX Radeon 4890 1 GB

*mobo 750i SLI Nvidia Geforce

*Core 2 Quade 9440

*2 GB Ram

*PSU Thermaltake 750W

*Full tower Chasis

More about : system freezes moderate temperature

a c 197 U Graphics card
September 1, 2009 7:56:18 PM

Check the CPU temperature and your RAM specs, some memory uses more than the normal 1.8v and most motherboards default to that, which can cause an unstable system.
September 1, 2009 8:48:22 PM

My CPU Temperature is 27 Celsius and my RAM is Transcend DDR2 800 MHz. I don't know much about 1.8v.

Can change anything manually will solve this issue?
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
September 1, 2009 8:53:06 PM

Have you memtested your ram?
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 1, 2009 8:56:15 PM

nahid08 said:
My CPU Temperature is 27 Celsius and my RAM is Transcend DDR2 800 MHz. I don't know much about 1.8v.

Can change anything manually will solve this issue?

Whats the part # on the ram? Please ;) 
September 2, 2009 6:36:49 AM

OvrClkr said:
Have you memtested your ram?

I have tested the ram (along with other hardware) with prime 95. There is no error.
September 2, 2009 6:51:23 AM

I am thinking to get nvidia (512 MB) card soon. Will it solve the issue?

One more thing, how can I lower the voltages?
a c 147 U Graphics card
September 2, 2009 7:22:24 AM

nahid08 said:
I am thinking to get nvidia (512 MB) card soon. Will it solve the issue?

i don't think the your video card have any problem.

but if you suspect the your card having problem then try that card in another computer and see what happen.
while at that try running your PC for several hour (without the video card) and see if the same problem persist

another way round is try to reinstall windows and drivers (i think this is one of your last option)
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 2, 2009 7:35:51 AM

nahid08 said:
I have tested the ram (along with other hardware) with prime 95. There is no error.

Just because you have ran memory test and even prime without errors does not mean you don't have an issue in the ram sticks. I have did the same with a set of ram and still found it to be a stability problem caused by the voltage and the timings. After setting them to there recommended settings the problem was gone. I had built this rig and had no problems for over a month before it started having stability issues. So if you give me the module # are even look up the settings yourself and set the bio's you will have eliminated one possibility. Can only help if you let us. So please work with me. ;) 
September 2, 2009 1:44:50 PM

Quote:
Just because you have ran memory test and even prime without errors does not mean you don't have an issue in the ram sticks. I have did the same with a set of ram and still found it to be a stability problem caused by the voltage and the timings. After setting them to there recommended settings the problem was gone. I had built this rig and had no problems for over a month before it started having stability issues. So if you give me the module # are even look up the settings yourself and set the bio's you will have eliminated one possibility. Can only help if you let us. So please work with me. ;) 

I don't understand module # "part". Can you please be more specific about it? I have not changed anything to BIOS yet.

You said you had stability problem. Was it system freezing problem or else?
September 2, 2009 2:03:07 PM

renz496 said:
i don't think the your video card have any problem.

but if you suspect the your card having problem then try that card in another computer and see what happen.
while at that try running your PC for several hour (without the video card) and see if the same problem persist

another way round is try to reinstall windows and drivers (i think this is one of your last option)

My card will not run in another computer. Because it does not have PCI 2.0 supported motherboard. Also My friends do not have PCI 2.0 supported motherboard so that I could run on them.

Is any other way?

I want to uninstall ATI driver and run the system in VGA mood. Will it work to tracking the problem?
September 2, 2009 2:30:21 PM

I found some information on my mobo 750i SLI nForce Motherboard' box.

There is a seal on the box and a side note which states "Look for this seal on games optimized on NVIDIA GPUs for an easy install and play experience".

I think motherboard is somehow nvidia geforce card supported not ATI !

Today I purchased 2 gb ddr2 ram 800 mhz. will 4 gb ram create voltage problem? (1.8v)
a b U Graphics card
September 2, 2009 2:32:46 PM

When you install Ram on your PC the first thing you have to do is go into the Bios and change the timings and voltages to attain a stable system... If you leave all the values on Auto your system will most likely crash or Bsod.... When you turn your PC on press F2 repeatately till you see a blue screen (BIOS) and make the changes...
September 2, 2009 2:41:27 PM

OvrClkr said:
When you install Ram on your PC the first thing you have to do is go into the Bios and change the timings and voltages to attain a stable system... If you leave all the values on Auto your system will most likely crash or Bsod.... When you turn your PC on press F2 repeatately till you see a blue screen (BIOS) and make the changes...

Where I can find this option in BIOS?

And what appropriate timing and voltage changing should be made for 4 gb ram (800 mhz)?
September 2, 2009 2:46:58 PM

the 750 mobo will display a code.
contact tech support and tell them the code.
a b U Graphics card
September 2, 2009 3:38:37 PM

nahid08 said:
Where I can find this option in BIOS?

And what appropriate timing and voltage changing should be made for 4 gb ram (800 mhz)?

here is a screen shot of the Bios where you need to make the changes :

the timings are set accordingly to what is specified my that model, for example : my Ram is G.skill 800Mhz, so the timings are 5-5-5-15-24-2T 1.9v ...

a c 147 U Graphics card
September 2, 2009 7:10:11 PM

nahid08 said:
My card will not run in another computer. Because it does not have PCI 2.0 supported motherboard. Also My friends do not have PCI 2.0 supported motherboard so that I could run on them.

Is any other way?

I want to uninstall ATI driver and run the system in VGA mood. Will it work to tracking the problem?

regarding PCI-E 2.0: most card today have what we call as backward compatibility. meaning that PCI-E 2.0 card will be able to run on motherboard with PC-E 1.x For more info you can read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express

uninstall the driver and then use driver cleaner pro to clean the leftover. then re-install the driver. by the don't forget to try your PC without the graphic card. if the problem still there then the cause of the problem is not your graphic card

September 2, 2009 9:42:18 PM

Hmm, well if your system is "freezing" all the time, it's obviously too cold in the case. Heat that thing up with a space heater!!

...Heh, kidding.

Like someone else said, you need to test your ram. Not Prime95, that's a stress test; different purpose. You need to use memtest86. You can download the program and burn the thing to a CD or flash drive or something and boot it. It individually tests each section of your ram for errors. Look it up online for better tutorials and stuff.

Does your BIOS allow you to undervolt that ram? 1.8v is generally the standard. Also, what's the voltage of your proc? You could have inadvertently jacked it up, though that's unlikely considering your temps.

In my experience, delayed freezing or restarting is usually due to bad or incompatible ram (I had dual channel ram in a single channel board once :D ) or more frequently, plain overheating. In my old crappy mid tower, I had two 80mm fans and they weren't sufficient; the thing would randomly restart in hot weather.

Now I have a ridiculous Rocketfish/Lian Li full tower, with 3 120mm fans, which do a fine job.

Now my room is frickin hot though.

*edit*
Quote:

NO! Don't start changing your GPU out because of stupid marketing crap; it might be SLI certified and not crossfire certified, but single GPUs will work in any compatible PCIe slot.

Hey, how many sticks of ram did you have in there? There is a certain, very picky arrangement that the slots must have, and if you do it wrong, some mobos go psycho.
September 3, 2009 1:51:55 PM

Soggy_Popcorn said:
Hmm, well if your system is "freezing" all the time, it's obviously too cold in the case. Heat that thing up with a space heater!!

...Heh, kidding.

Like someone else said, you need to test your ram. Not Prime95, that's a stress test; different purpose. You need to use memtest86. You can download the program and burn the thing to a CD or flash drive or something and boot it. It individually tests each section of your ram for errors. Look it up online for better tutorials and stuff.

Does your BIOS allow you to undervolt that ram? 1.8v is generally the standard. Also, what's the voltage of your proc? You could have inadvertently jacked it up, though that's unlikely considering your temps.

In my experience, delayed freezing or restarting is usually due to bad or incompatible ram (I had dual channel ram in a single channel board once :D ) or more frequently, plain overheating. In my old crappy mid tower, I had two 80mm fans and they weren't sufficient; the thing would randomly restart in hot weather.

Now I have a ridiculous Rocketfish/Lian Li full tower, with 3 120mm fans, which do a fine job.

Now my room is frickin hot though.

*edit*
Quote:

NO! Don't start changing your GPU out because of stupid marketing crap; it might be SLI certified and not crossfire certified, but single GPUs will work in any compatible PCIe slot.

Hey, how many sticks of ram did you have in there? There is a certain, very picky arrangement that the slots must have, and if you do it wrong, some mobos go psycho.

Thanks for your reply. Let me explain the problem briefly.

When I first purchased (2 months ago) my system, I had low tower chasis with one cooler fan in rear side. Everything went fine in the shop as they have Air Conditioned room. But soon I brought them to home they started freezing in boot up, in desktop, in playing music video. I took my system to that shop again and seemed no problem there. I brought my system again in home and keep it off for one day. After changing the whether (bit cold) I opened it and found that it's running in desktop without any freezing problem. But whenever I tried to play any game (including HAWX that came with Card) system freezes within 5 to 10 minutes. I posted the problem in different technical forum and came to know that it is overheating issues which causes system to freeze.

So I replaced my case with Thermaltake fulltower case. After replacing case, I was able to run my pc smoothly. I played call of duty 5 for 5 hours without any freezing problem. But after 6 hours of playing system got freeze up again. It was also happening while browsing net and playing music in background.

I posted problem in wikipedia IT department and got a reply that, system with 4890 1 gb card needs to run in 20* Celsius and system freezing during browsing is happening due to overheat of serial devices. I increased the fan speed to lower the temperature. Temperature went down from 63 Celsius to 48 Celsius. But nothing significantly changed.

I live in warm country and my room temperature is too high (sunlight directly attacks to room). My old system almost died because of "Thermal Overheat". That's why I had to buy new one.

My Ram is 4 GB 800 MHz. Mobo contains 4 slots for ram. I attached my new ram in third slot as duel channel mode (Based on mobo manual).

If it was really ram issue then why the system freezes in low tower chasis within minutes (in game) and freezes in new system within hours in full tower chasis :o 

Bus speed of mobo (ddr2) and processor is 1333MHz but bus speed of ram is 800 MHz. Is it incompatible?

So is not it graphics card that caused system to freeze?
!