Need help running 24 gb RAM in a motherboard!

masterjaw

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
Here is the list of motherboards supporting 24GB memory.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010200280+1070545356+1072720581&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&Subcategory=280&description=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=

kraftmacincheese

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
Right but whenever you go to the manufacturer's site and take a look at their supported ram, I haven't seen it on any lists. My point is I am trying to find a board that can actually take that mushkin ram that I linked. If I can find that board, then I can find a true 24 gig setup.
Im lookin to get a I7 920 with a (hoping gigabyte) kik butt motherboard with the 24 gigs of ram. Then I am waiting for Nvidia to release their new card coming soon. Should be perdy :)

masterjaw

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
I don't think you should base your decisions on the memory support list found in the manufacturer's site. Personally, I find it unreliable compared to the CPU support list. Why? Because they don't have that much time to test every piece of RAM currently on the market and see if it works well.

I have a G.skill memory which isn't in the Gigabyte site but is working well on my mobo.

kraftmacincheese

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
Well I haven't purchased my parts yet. I also just clued my wife in with round about how much 24 gb's of ram is gonna cost (!!!) Yeah she wants to castrate me with a wooden spoon. But hey, give it time, maybe I can tell her that if she lets me buy this than that can be my birthday present and maybe Christmas lol

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

Do you have a reason to need this much ram or is it just an e-peen thing...

masterjaw

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
Actually, 8gb of RAM is already an overwhelming size for a normal user. Seriously, you won't be able to utilize that much RAM for now. :)

Plus, IMO, having 24gb of RAM is not future proofing. You might be wasting resources on something that would be overwhelmed by an another architecture sometime. :)

You might as well please your wife by telling her that you would reduce it to just 8gb. :)

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

I do overflow work for a professional graphics company, doing retouches of photos using CS4. I have an i7 920, and 6GB ram.... I build systems for some companies using ACAD, and frequently spec dual Xeons and 12 GB ram. I have numerous reports that I have made for several clients showing productivity increases of various system configurations, and can show that anything above 6GB per CPU is a waste of money UNTIL you get into some very heavy physics such as Matlab. But hey, its your money...

masterjaw

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
Honestly, you won't be needing that much memory to do those tasks. As I've said and croc said before, anything more than 6gb (8gb for dual channel setups) would just be a waste of resources. It won't even give you anything beneficial performance-wise. Might as well put the cash into buying 2 high-end cards in crossfire and you're done. :)

For what you are doing, 4gig of memory will do you just fine. Buy 6 gig at the very, very most, if you want to future proof it for the next 3 years. I guarantee it. You are blowing an awful lot of money here for absolutely, and I mean absolutely no reason at all.
If you are willing to toss away that much money needlessly, your wife needs to divorce you and find someone with more common sense!! :)
Kraft does not pay THAT well.

kraftmacincheese

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
Nah, I will just get the 12, I assure you that I can find a way to use it. Whenever I say multitasking I really reallyyyy mean it. Like I want to be able to run a couple virus/spyware scans, hdd cleaners, Crysis, surveillance cameras, video editing/conversion software, rendering software, and maybe even a couple of servers if need be.. ALL at the same time with NO lag whatsoever :)
So yeah, I could use 12.