Sign in with
Your question

Need help running 24 gb RAM in a motherboard!

Last response: in Motherboards
February 3, 2010 4:52:30 AM

Hello,
I have seen these motherboards out now that say they can take 24gigs of ram and I have seen the mushkin triple channel 12 gig kit on Newegg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... I want to run a FULL 24 gigs on a motherboard but need to know what motherboard will work with this mushkin ram?
Any takers?
February 3, 2010 5:06:04 AM

Right but whenever you go to the manufacturer's site and take a look at their supported ram, I haven't seen it on any lists. My point is I am trying to find a board that can actually take that mushkin ram that I linked. If I can find that board, then I can find a true 24 gig setup.
Im lookin to get a I7 920 with a (hoping gigabyte) kik butt motherboard with the 24 gigs of ram. Then I am waiting for Nvidia to release their new card coming soon. Should be perdy :) 
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
February 3, 2010 5:17:06 AM

I don't think you should base your decisions on the memory support list found in the manufacturer's site. Personally, I find it unreliable compared to the CPU support list. Why? Because they don't have that much time to test every piece of RAM currently on the market and see if it works well.

I have a G.skill memory which isn't in the Gigabyte site but is working well on my mobo.
February 3, 2010 5:18:39 AM

Ah I c... I didn't even think of that one.
So just buy it and hope for the best eh? :)  Lets do it.
a b V Motherboard
February 3, 2010 5:23:13 AM

Not really. You should also consider the voltages supported by the mobo if it would be compatible with the memory of your choice.
February 3, 2010 5:25:48 AM

Well of course, but more than likely 1.65 us going to be just fine with any of the top boards that you linked me.
a b V Motherboard
February 3, 2010 5:34:34 AM

Most probably. :) 

Hopefully, your dimms / mobo aren't faulty or else it's RMA time. :p 
February 3, 2010 5:37:52 AM

Well I haven't purchased my parts yet. I also just clued my wife in with round about how much 24 gb's of ram is gonna cost (!!!) Yeah she wants to castrate me with a wooden spoon. But hey, give it time, maybe I can tell her that if she lets me buy this than that can be my birthday present and maybe Christmas lol
February 3, 2010 5:47:31 AM

kraftmacincheese said:
Well I haven't purchased my parts yet. I also just clued my wife in with round about how much 24 gb's of ram is gonna cost (!!!) Yeah she wants to castrate me with a wooden spoon. But hey, give it time, maybe I can tell her that if she lets me buy this than that can be my birthday present and maybe Christmas lol

Do you have a reason to need this much ram or is it just an e-peen thing...
February 3, 2010 5:49:55 AM

Well I want to make an awesome system obviously for one. And for two, I want to future proof this rig, not to mention that everything would be ridiculously fast.. What more reason do I need? lol :p 
a b V Motherboard
February 3, 2010 5:54:49 AM

Actually, 8gb of RAM is already an overwhelming size for a normal user. Seriously, you won't be able to utilize that much RAM for now. :) 

Plus, IMO, having 24gb of RAM is not future proofing. You might be wasting resources on something that would be overwhelmed by an another architecture sometime. :) 

You might as well please your wife by telling her that you would reduce it to just 8gb. :) 
February 3, 2010 5:59:10 AM

Nah I know its not futureproofing per se, however I will still have an incredible speed increase to do all of my video editing, converting, and gaming
February 3, 2010 6:13:15 AM

kraftmacincheese said:
Well I want to make an awesome system obviously for one. And for two, I want to future proof this rig, not to mention that everything would be ridiculously fast.. What more reason do I need? lol :p 

I do overflow work for a professional graphics company, doing retouches of photos using CS4. I have an i7 920, and 6GB ram.... I build systems for some companies using ACAD, and frequently spec dual Xeons and 12 GB ram. I have numerous reports that I have made for several clients showing productivity increases of various system configurations, and can show that anything above 6GB per CPU is a waste of money UNTIL you get into some very heavy physics such as Matlab. But hey, its your money...
February 3, 2010 6:15:13 AM

Well if it makes any difference I am going to be pushing an 82" HD 3D TV as my monitor and doing lots of multitasking and physX
February 3, 2010 6:19:01 AM

kraftmacincheese said:
Well if it makes any difference I am going to be pushing an 82" HD 3D TV as my monitor and doing lots of multitasking and physX

Ha ha. Croc laughs.
a b V Motherboard
February 3, 2010 6:38:21 AM

Honestly, you won't be needing that much memory to do those tasks. As I've said and croc said before, anything more than 6gb (8gb for dual channel setups) would just be a waste of resources. It won't even give you anything beneficial performance-wise. Might as well put the cash into buying 2 high-end cards in crossfire and you're done. :) 
February 3, 2010 6:40:13 AM

Sooo.. You think just 1 of those 12 gig kits would be sufficient. Yeah that's cool, I can save. Thanx guys! :) 
a b V Motherboard
February 3, 2010 12:06:31 PM

For what you are doing, 4gig of memory will do you just fine. Buy 6 gig at the very, very most, if you want to future proof it for the next 3 years. I guarantee it. You are blowing an awful lot of money here for absolutely, and I mean absolutely no reason at all.
If you are willing to toss away that much money needlessly, your wife needs to divorce you and find someone with more common sense!! :) 
Kraft does not pay THAT well.

February 3, 2010 4:26:44 PM

Nah, I will just get the 12, I assure you that I can find a way to use it. Whenever I say multitasking I really reallyyyy mean it. Like I want to be able to run a couple virus/spyware scans, hdd cleaners, Crysis, surveillance cameras, video editing/conversion software, rendering software, and maybe even a couple of servers if need be.. ALL at the same time with NO lag whatsoever :) 
So yeah, I could use 12.
a b V Motherboard
February 13, 2010 6:46:16 PM

If you do all that, then I stand corrected! Go for 12 gig.
a b V Motherboard
February 14, 2010 1:16:18 PM

why not go for 144GB on a motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

though i doubt anything over 12GB would be of much help

also, running crysis and video conversion at same time will more than likely make your cpu bottleneck the GPU before you ran out of memory
February 21, 2010 12:57:37 AM

Well I'm not gonna go that far, 144 sounds nice n all but that's over kill even for me, and I know you don't know me but trust me when I say that I am captain overkill :p 
But anyways.. The video card point is a very good point indeed, however I plan on running 2 of the new Nvidia Fermi's that are about to be released, and gonna run them at 32x. Sooo, I think that will take care of that one.
Soo.. UPDATE !..

Ok so here is my current rig as of now. I say current because it's ever changing but I'm pretty sure that this is it now...

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb

Sunbeam RHK-EX-SV Rheobus-Extreme 5.25" Bay 4 Channel 30W Fan Controller Panel

Thermalright Venomous X CPU Cooler

Lamptron Noise Dampening Material

1ST PC CORP. PFB1212UHE-F00 120mm Case Fan THIS FAN ROCKS!!

ABS Majesty series MJ1100-M Continuous 1100W

ASRock X58 Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz

Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

ARCTIC COOLING MX-2 Thermal Compound

That's about it, anyone have any suggestions.. lemme know! :) 
!