Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

6GB of RAM only allowing 4GB

Last response: in Memory
Share
February 3, 2010 5:38:27 AM

Alright, so I just brought a new computer yesterday, and my RAM is saying only 4GB of DDR3 is usable instead of the 6GB I have installed.

I have a i7 920, G.Skill 6GB @ 1600MHz (not running at that speed due to the processors speed) & I've got a GA-EX58-UD5 Gigabyte Motherboard. I have 64-bit Win 7 Ultimate BTW.

Does anyone have any ideas? :( 

More about : 6gb ram allowing 4gb

February 3, 2010 5:48:59 AM

perhaps 6gb is the total amount and 2 gbs are for reserve when the system gets too many jobs like video encoding or perhaps you put the third dimm in the wrong slot.
m
0
l
February 3, 2010 6:11:16 AM

It's certainly in the right dimm slot. It must be reserve if you have over 4GB+ of RAM.
m
0
l
Related resources
February 3, 2010 6:45:51 AM

Sometimes its a chipset limitation.
I have a Gigabyte 945 mobo and Gigabyte says it supports 4GB RAM.But my PC only sees 3GB Even when 4GB installed.

See computer properties... Is it reporting "RAM: 6.00GB (4GB usable)" ?
m
0
l
February 3, 2010 7:41:04 AM

Yes, yes it is.
m
0
l

Best solution

February 3, 2010 7:51:33 AM

Then I think it is a chipset limitation.
That's what I came to know when I asked GB Costumer support for help!

You can't do anything.

Download CPU-Z.Even it will show 6GB RAM.
But you can't use all 6GB.
Share
February 3, 2010 8:50:40 AM

Damn :( 
So that means if I want a to use it, I need a new motherboard?
m
0
l
February 3, 2010 8:53:24 AM

Very less applications use 6Gb RAM.
Even 4GB is rarely used.So you'll be fine even with 4GB.

No need to change the mobo. :) 
m
0
l
February 3, 2010 9:03:58 AM

Best answer selected by Mattthew_H.
m
0
l
February 3, 2010 9:39:53 AM

Oh guys, what a bunch of BS you'r talking here. I had the same problem, and i have the same MOBO and CPU as you have, what chipset limitation you'r talking about :D  joker. How come some people uses 12gb in their UD5(cause there is no chipset limitation to only use 4gb)??? It might be that some of your pins on CPU socket is bend and that's why your system can only use 4gb even though dxdiag and some other programs where showing that there is 6gb installed. After RMA'ing my MOBO, problem was solved!
You can remove CPU and check socket for bend pins, if that's the case you might try to to unbend by yourself, or try contacting your MOBO retailer.
You can try to put ramm in different channels, mine was working 6gb in dual channel, but triple was showing 4gb!
Hope this helps!
m
0
l
February 3, 2010 12:04:21 PM

^Maybe!!

But I can show that Gigabyte costumer support reply which said this!
m
0
l
February 4, 2010 3:47:50 PM

Shubman, just a question, why 1366 is the most expensive platform ATM and why it uses tripple channel instead of dual?
Cause it's high end and it's using tripple channel mem controller, that way they are gaining a bit of performance in video editing and multitasking, and how stupid INTEL would look like limiting mem capacity on his system to 4gb :D  can't stop laughing m8!!! So explain me why mine system (same as his) is capable of using all 6gb when his only 4?

Story ends here, that mobo with i7 920 supports max 24gb of mem.


Stop taking a piss of yourself. And if you don't know something don't talk BS, cause you make yourself look like and i....t.
m
0
l
February 4, 2010 4:45:07 PM

My bad!!Dint saw it was a 1366!!
Oops..I though we were talking about some 775 mobo!
m
0
l
February 4, 2010 4:47:13 PM

Okay my mistake...But U can use better language at least.
m
0
l
February 5, 2010 8:41:44 AM

Sry for my language will do better next time ;)  Be more careful when reading posts next time! And if that guy didn't checked this thread any more, so he is still thinking that's all ok with his PC, when actually it's not.
Have a good day.
m
0
l
February 5, 2010 10:08:22 AM

Could it be that his OS is only 32-bit? Would the missing 2 Gigabytes even show up on CPU-Z if that were the case? I could be wrong... I'm not sure what having a 32-bit OS does to the memory, exactly.
m
0
l
February 10, 2010 8:51:19 AM

steddy said:
Could it be that his OS is only 32-bit? Would the missing 2 Gigabytes even show up on CPU-Z if that were the case? I could be wrong... I'm not sure what having a 32-bit OS does to the memory, exactly.

I already said I'm using 64-bit.
m
0
l
February 10, 2010 6:41:39 PM

new mobo's should work, but sometimes they dont, then you may use the warranty and send it back.
m
0
l
February 12, 2010 4:35:03 AM

I'll take my entire system back to the store, as I've already had 3 Bluescreens.
m
0
l
February 13, 2010 5:01:55 AM

Change of plans.

Could it be that the RAM is faster than the processor?
m
0
l
February 14, 2010 9:25:19 PM

Hi, did you update your BIOS already?

The latest BIOS release says something about "Enhanced memory capability".
GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS
m
0
l
February 16, 2010 3:17:04 AM

I did, yet it still says "6.00 GB (4.00 GB Usable)"
m
0
l
February 18, 2010 1:22:50 PM

Yes mine had the same problem I have a X58A-UD3R and one of my ram sticks was bad, Boot each stick by its self thats how I found out. The bad stick would not boot I even tried the bad stick in all 3 slots and still no boot. I rma'd the ram and waiting for new to come. Hope this helps.
m
0
l
February 21, 2010 5:45:17 AM

:D 
I tried that and it worked! Thanks so much, I'm taking the RAM stick back next week to get replaced.
m
0
l
February 26, 2010 2:02:50 PM

I had the same issue with:
GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58
Intel Core i7-920
G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

What I noticed was that right after powering the system on, I hid the splash screen and noticed that the RAM was only counting up to 4GB. In Windows it said 6GB of RAM (4GB usable). CPU-Z reported 6GB of RAM.

After hours of troubleshooting I followed a tip to check the pins on the socket of the motherboard. I removed the CPU, placed the mobo under a bright light, and noticed one pin was slightly bent to the side. I straightened it with a tiny flat-head jewelers screwdriver and replaced the CPU. After the next reboot, the BIOS counted up all 6GB of RAM and Windows reported 6GB.
m
0
l
February 28, 2010 6:49:38 PM

I might have a look - since when I took my RAM back to the shop, they said it was fine. They also said to reinstall Windows, and I'm not really all up for that. :cry: 
m
0
l
June 30, 2010 1:30:24 AM

I have the same problem same motherboard, processor and ram. When I first put the rig together all was fine. Funny thing is if up change OC settings if changes from 4/6Gb to 2/6Gb. I've pulled the CPU off and had a look at the pins, all seemed fine to me. I may do it again.
I've followed all of Gigabytes suggestions with no luck. This is the first time I've ran a Gigabyte system at home. I've got my eye on a ASUS board as Gigabyte has ran out of options.
If the pins are bent, then I'd say this is my fault. But looking at the forums this seems very common with this board.
My suggestion is not to buy Gigabyte. And that will be my recommendations to all the IT staff I come across from now on.

NOTE: Reinstalling the OS (Which the idiots at Gigabyte suggested to me) will not help if the BIOS is not detecting the RAM.
m
0
l
June 30, 2010 4:08:06 AM

dwhatd said:
I have the same problem same motherboard, processor and ram. When I first put the rig together all was fine. Funny thing is if up change OC settings if changes from 4/6Gb to 2/6Gb. I've pulled the CPU off and had a look at the pins, all seemed fine to me. I may do it again.
I've followed all of Gigabytes suggestions with no luck. This is the first time I've ran a Gigabyte system at home. I've got my eye on a ASUS board as Gigabyte has ran out of options.
If the pins are bent, then I'd say this is my fault. But looking at the forums this seems very common with this board.
My suggestion is not to buy Gigabyte. And that will be my recommendations to all the IT staff I come across from now on.

NOTE: Reinstalling the OS (Which the idiots at Gigabyte suggested to me) will not help if the BIOS is not detecting the RAM.


Yeah, at the moment I'm not brave enough to take out the CPU and have a look, because if I find some bent pins and try and fit them, one of them could snap, yes? And then that would break the whole CPU? I'm not sure.

Anyway, I reinstalled Windows, did nothing. I've taken my PC to the shop were I got all the parts from, and they said that all the parts are fine and they don't know what's wrong with it.

So, I'm not sure whether it's the motherboard or the pins at the moment, but what I do know is, only having 4GB of RAM is quite painful - I program graphic engines at the moment, and it's really making it hard to test things on highest quality at the moment.
m
0
l
a b } Memory
June 30, 2010 7:50:35 AM

Change the muffler bearings.
m
0
l
June 30, 2010 11:01:15 AM

Try one by one stick, maybe you'r mem slot is broken...
m
0
l
July 1, 2010 10:01:12 AM

I didn't see anybody list the two most likely causes.

1) Memory remapping in the bios

2) Run MSCONFIG and check the boot menu for a 4 GB limit.

Memory remapping is extremely common in these situations and you occasionally see a software limit set for no apparent reason.
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b } Memory
August 16, 2010 8:51:57 PM


i have a 17 920, and a super micro x8sax

the cpu and the board are replacements,

rams is corsair, 1333 1.5v 6gig triple channel

os is windows 7 professional 64 bit

memory is tested good.

Corsair 750 watt psu tested good

msconfig does not show any memory limiting.

CPUZ shows 6 gb ram.... Windows Shows only 4 gb ram


I am not sure what is wrong with this trash,
there is for 6gb ram, why not show 6gb
it shows only 4 gb ram...

this sucks!

Any help appreciated... but i am sure there is nothing you can do.
the system runs fine, no BSOD's well non with replaced hardware.
originally the cpu blew and the mother board had something burned on it.

so i got intel to send me a new i7 920 and supermicro sent me a new board,


personally i am glad i dont own this junk... this is the bosses computer...

-
i am a huge fan of the intel e3300... and the zotac g31 board.
good reliable, proven... and fast.
-









FALC0N said:
I didn't see anybody list the two most likely causes.

1) Memory remapping in the bios

2) Run MSCONFIG and check the boot menu for a 4 GB limit.

Memory remapping is extremely common in these situations and you occasionally see a software limit set for no apparent reason.

m
0
l
June 24, 2012 8:38:54 PM

Mattthew_H said:
Alright, so I just brought a new computer yesterday, and my RAM is saying only 4GB of DDR3 is usable instead of the 6GB I have installed.

I have a i7 920, G.Skill 6GB @ 1600MHz (not running at that speed due to the processors speed) & I've got a GA-EX58-UD5 Gigabyte Motherboard. I have 64-bit Win 7 Ultimate BTW.

Does anyone have any ideas? :( 

No, but it is strange that I just installed Win 8-64 and my problem of the 4 Installed--Usable 2 GB...GONE. Now 4 and 4.

That seems to put the problem back on the OS.
m
0
l
!