Sign in with
Your question

Mid high-end gaming sytem , advice.

Last response: in Systems
August 12, 2009 9:53:57 AM

Hello All

It's just about that time of year where the FPS drop's so low that my brain just cant take it anymore, so time for a new system and would love if you could confirm or give me some advice on this.

It's going to be a system with all part's bought, but with a budget of 1100-1200 Euro / 8500 DKK and that's why i went with a C2D CPU instead of the i7.

CPU : Core 2 Quad Q9550 12 MB

GPU : EVGA GeForce GTX 295 CO-OP Edition

RAM : OCZ Intel Extreme Edition 2 x 2 GB DDR3 CAS7 1333Mhz / PC10666 -
Wasnt 100% sure on this choice as i have no personal experience with theese or OCZ for that matter.

HDD : WD Caviar Green WD10EADS 1 TB - was thinking about going for the BLACK edition but couldnt see any performance difference on those 2 , please comment on this :??: 

Moboard : Gigabyte GA-EP45T-UD3LR - As i dont believe i will need any SLI with the 295 Card, would think this is enough for everything.

PSU : Corsair TX650W

Case : Antec Three Hundred - EU - low budget case with resonable cooling.

Would love your advice and comment's on this if possible as i had some issue with my last system i bought, and perhaps i made the same fatal mistake this time :D 

/Dennis.
August 12, 2009 12:28:44 PM

OCZ, Corsair and Patriot are good memory brands.
August 12, 2009 12:33:45 PM

go caviar black for sure.... if for no other reason than the warranty difference.
Related resources
August 12, 2009 12:35:16 PM

antec 300 will be cramped with your GPU more than likely. watch out for the large cards.............
August 12, 2009 12:38:47 PM

I haven't read anything bad coming out from OCZ, so I think they are pretty good.

I'd go for the Caviar Black though. I have a 640GB Green Power that I replaced (temporarily) for my Seagate 7200.11 being rma'd and I could say that it is a heck of a lot slower than the .11. My WinXP boots about 10 seconds slower, fps on games still remain the same, but the load times are a bit of a killer.

* I'd really recommend GreenPower drives just for storage as the $ per GB is a bit cheaper than your regular drives, but I wouldn't recommend it for an OS drive.
August 12, 2009 1:00:00 PM

Good advice so far :) 

Will be changing the HDD into a Caviar Black,

But not sure about the EVGA 295 co-op not fitting into the antec 300.

Could anybody confirm this for me?

August 12, 2009 1:13:53 PM

the 295 will fit in the 300, but cooling will be poor.
August 12, 2009 1:24:39 PM

Helloworld_98 said:
the 295 will fit in the 300, but cooling will be poor.

What would your best suggestion within the same price range be?

could perhaps be flexible if it's that much better.
August 12, 2009 1:30:34 PM

the CM-690 is around the same price and has better airflow.
August 12, 2009 1:47:12 PM

Helloworld_98 said:
the CM-690 is around the same price and has better airflow.

Good stuff, seem's like a very good case from what i read.

Thanks for the info, that will be going on the order aswell.
August 13, 2009 5:36:07 AM

I have the CM-690. great case... but make sure your PSU cables are long as the PSU is mounted on the bottom. I am having to do some imaginitive cabling to keep everything where it should be. but as I said.... GREAT case.
August 13, 2009 6:29:24 AM

295 in antec 300 = bad idea.
I dont' know what kind of games you play, 275 is more than enough normally, and save some money to go i7 IMHO
August 13, 2009 7:57:41 AM

Ahh ye i can agree with you on that one but at some point i just want to stick with this setup for atleast another 3 year's, so would be a shame if something came out that the 275 just wasnt a match for.

Would anybody have any objection's on my Moboard choice?

Or is this a solid board for this GPU and CPU?
August 13, 2009 9:20:48 AM

yingwuzhao said:
295 in antec 300 = bad idea.
I dont' know what kind of games you play, 275 is more than enough normally, and save some money to go i7 IMHO

good advice, the speed difference between i7 and C2Q is aloooot. just to show you to what extent, I live with my cousin, he has the q9550 and I have the 920. we both started 3dmark vantage after a count down from 3 and pressed the start button at the same time, other than the results, the load times of the actual 3dmark vantage program was alooot, some cases, mine computer loaded more than a minute faster.

the gtx 275 is an excelent card, get the i7 and 275 and later on add another 275 when you have the time, this makes is 2% faster than the gtx 295 :D 
August 13, 2009 9:45:19 AM

meewog said:
good advice, the speed difference between i7 and C2Q is aloooot. just to show you to what extent, I live with my cousin, he has the q9550 and I have the 920. we both started 3dmark vantage after a count down from 3 and pressed the start button at the same time, other than the results, the load times of the actual 3dmark vantage program was alooot, some cases, mine computer loaded more than a minute faster.

the gtx 275 is an excelent card, get the i7 and 275 and later on add another 275 when you have the time, this makes is 2% faster than the gtx 295 :D 

3DMark is cute when you want bragging rights, but at the end of the day you're going to be running games, not 3DMark. There's no reason to cheap out on the GPU in favor of a i7 or a C2Q.
August 13, 2009 9:50:18 AM

notzaar said:
3DMark is cute when you want bragging rights, but at the end of the day you're going to be running games, not 3DMark. There's no reason to cheap out on the GPU in favor of a i7 or a C2Q.

i think you got me wrong, i didnt say anything about the marks. if you accept 3dmark vantage as a 3d application (simmilar to a game) load times and frame rates can tell you lots of things. with a 775 socket the best cpu you can use is the q9550, but the with 1366 socket you can use i9 as well.
August 13, 2009 9:53:02 AM

I would go with either Phenom II or i7. I would forget about buying S775 if building a new rig from the ground up at this point. S775 has no future upgrade path. AM3 and S1366 do.
August 13, 2009 10:04:16 AM

meewog said:
i think you got me wrong, i didnt say anything about the marks. if you accept 3dmark vantage as a 3d application (simmilar to a game) load times and frame rates can tell you lots of things. with a 775 socket the best cpu you can use is the q9550, but the with 1366 socket you can use i9 as well.

Fair enough, but in 3DMark there are tests specifically intended to push the CPU to the limit, so a person with an i7 is naturally going to see better results. However, for actual gaming, the GPU is much more important than the CPU, so it's a shame to invest in an i7 platform instead of going with a 775 and putting the difference towards a better GPU.
August 13, 2009 10:11:03 AM

It is also a shame to invest in a dead socket as well if starting out with a brand new system. Had you already had a nice P35/X38 or something similar and a low end Core 2 then I could see going with a Q9550 as an upgrade but not for a brand new rig.
August 13, 2009 10:11:04 AM

notzaar said:
Fair enough, but in 3DMark there are tests specifically intended to push the CPU to the limit, so a person with an i7 is naturally going to see better results. However, for actual gaming, the GPU is much more important than the CPU, so it's a shame to invest in an i7 platform instead of going with a 775 and putting the difference towards a better GPU.

totaly agree that gpu is very important, but you dont want to buy a system that is already out of date, see how many proccessors came after the C2Q, first it was i7, then came the i5 and now i9. so it has fallen behind already. i would be more wise to spend more money on a x58 mother board and a single card now, and in a month or so stick in another card. there was a time i dreamt of getting an e8500 or a q6600, but times have changed.

another + for i7 is the very high o/c headroom. o/cing for more than 1.3 gigahertz is fps more than welcome in my book :) 
August 13, 2009 10:14:52 AM

meewog said:
totaly agree that gpu is very important, but you dont want to buy a system that is already out of date, see how many proccessors came after the C2Q, first it was i7, then came the i5 and now i9. so it has fallen behind already. i would be more wise to spend more money on a x58 mother board and a single card now, and in a month or so stick in another card. there was a time i dreamt of getting an e8500 or a q6600, but times have changed.

another + for i7 is the very high o/c headroom. o/cing for more than 1.3 gigahertz is fps more than welcome in my book :) 

It has fallen behind in terms of the never-ending push towards new technology, but an E8400 (or one of it's near kin) is still the best price/performance chip for gaming. And later on down the line when there's a justified need for quad cores you can just drop in a C2Q (which will be even cheaper then.)
Investing in i7 platform now will just give you heartache later when the next line of chips with a new socket comes out, and you'll need a new MOBO to support PCIex20 anyways. There's no point in thinking about the future endlessly, just go with the best price/performance you can now.
August 13, 2009 10:19:52 AM

notzaar said:
It has fallen behind in terms of the never-ending push towards new technology, but an E8400 (or one of it's near kin) is still the best price/performance chip for gaming. And later on down the line when there's a justified need for quad cores you can just drop in a C2Q (which will be even cheaper then.)
Investing in i7 platform now will just give you heartache later when the next line of chips with a new socket comes out, and you'll need a new MOBO to support PCIex20 anyways. There's no point in thinking about the future endlessly, just go with the best price/performance you can now.

yeah, i admin you are right. but at the end of the day it comes down to personal prefrences. some are looking for newest technology, some are looking for best performance. but you have to agree you have to future proof as much as you can...
August 13, 2009 10:23:51 AM

meewog said:
yeah, i admin you are right. but at the end of the day it comes down to personal prefrences. some are looking for newest technology, some are looking for best performance. but you have to agree you have to future proof as much as you can...

I agree with you about personal preference. After all it's up to each individual and how much money they are willing to part with for technology (we are all enthusiats here :)  )
What I do not agree with is your last sentence. You cannot future proof. In this industry where parts are already second place a month or two after they come out to market I just don't see the point in trying to "future proof". I stay at least one generation behind, that way I get a reasonable price/performance point and I enjoy developer support for the technology I own.
August 13, 2009 10:25:59 AM

but look at the 775 socket, how long did that last? it was centuries in computer years :D 
August 13, 2009 10:30:48 AM

Yes, but it worries me that PCIex20 is coming soon. That means a new wave of motherboards and video cards, even if Intel sticks to the 1366 socket (which we are not sure they will either.)
August 13, 2009 10:32:08 AM

oh, didn't know about that...
!