gnuster

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
I currently am running a visiontek radeon hd3870 512mb gddr4 video card in a Dell XPS 410. I'd like to upgrade it. I'm not into gaming at all, it would just be used for Photoshop and watching videos. Is there a better ATI card out there that I should look at? My budget's in the $100 - $150 range.

Kithzaru

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
If all you are running is Photoshop and watching videos i couldn't imagine that you would need more than a 3780...

for 100 to 150 though you could look into the 4770, 4850, 4870, but obsidian is right, i would just wait for the 5xxx series.

4745454b

Titan
Why? You already said he doesn't need a faster card, why wait for the 5xxx cards? Other then lower the cost of cards, it doesn't make sense to wait. He doesn't need to wait for cheaper cards, as the 4850 is already in his price range. I'm not saying to get that card, as he doesn't need it.

Gnuster, unless your card died, or you want a quieter one, or something like that, you have no reason to upgrade. If you just using PS, and watching things on your screen, the card you have already does that just fine. Perhaps you should spend your money on a second monitor. That's when PS becomes fun.

Kithzaru

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
The reason i said he doesn't need a faster card is because i don't think he does.

The reason i said he should at least wait till the 5xxx series is because if he has his heart set on a new card, that would be the way to go.

The reason i listed the 4xxx series, and partially why i listed the 5xxx series is despite my personal opinion on his needs, i wanted to answer his Original Post.

gnuster

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
Thanks. This gives me all of the info that I need. I'm just going to live with the card that I have for now. Maybe in the near future, I'll buy an HIS brand ATI card with the $$$ I can save in the next few months.

Also, if the prices come down once the 5XXX series come out, then I may upgrade sooner. Once again, thanks for your help!