Homebuilt Comp Freezes all the time

tju2an

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Not more than a week ago, I posted some of my beginners mistakes here, but I've completed my build and almost everything seems to be OK.

Although, sometimes my computer simply freezes, just stopping and doesn't respond to anything but Reset and Power Switches, and sometimes, not that common though, she restarts.

The computer is working correctly while in it, can't see any bugs or mistakes in while operating the machine, but randomly, she fraks out and either restart or freeze.

What could the problem be?

Another problem, in my eyes, is while I play some games, my brother with not good comp as I got, reaches higher FPS rates in simple games like for Example World of Warcraft, with a worse GPU, less frequency and he's using Dual, I'm using Quad, I got a lot better cooling than he got, Better PSU in my rig.

We got the same Motherboard, same Screen, yeah, even the same mouse, which hopefully not will cause my problem:)

Worth to be named, I've never been good at attatching 775 coolers to the CPU, since the lockingmechanism ain't either familiar nor easy to use, so the cooler might not be tighten as it should, tho It's not moving or rubbing as I touch it, and the temperature never go over 35Ddegrees celsius( Fahrenheit unknown )

Please tell me if you want a complete comparelist between his and mine :)

Regards

Cheers

Filip :)

What are the full specs on your system? Did you manually set the ram timings and voltages?

What processor does he have compared to the one you have? Intel dual cores tend to be higher clocked than their quad counterparts making them better in dual threaded games than their quad counterparts.

tju2an

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Depends on what you mean with Full Specs on my System, but if you mean a complete list of parts installed here it comes:

Asus P5Q3 Mobo
Intel LGA775 Core2Quad 2.66Ghz (non clocked)
ENGTX 260 898Mb GPU
600W PSU
2x2Gb Corsaid DDR3 DIMM Ram

I think He Got a 2.8GHz Dual CPU.

RAM timings and Voltages must be default, since every jumper on the mobo was removed and reattached to Default Setting, and timings (changed in the BIOS I assume) is probably default too, after several Bios restarts and Default Settings set.

wathman

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009

I agree on this point, and it's the reason why I chose a dual core over quad a couple years back when I built my current system. Also depending on the processor generation, the amount of L2 cache could be significantly different

I agree with hunter315. You need to manually set the RAM speed/timings/voltage to the manufacturer's specs in the BIOS. What exact RAM kit do you have? There are a lot of 4GB DDR3 Corsair RAM kits out there. What is the model # of the kit you have?

tju2an

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Hunter 315:

I got the Following RAM Kit: http://www.itpower.se/product_details.php?products_id=2418 . The page is Swedish and the language is Swedish, but that's the Kit. Didn't Find the same while googling, maybe you understand the text anyway?

Wathman:

The amount of L2 cache on my CPU is 6

Shortstuff_mt:

I havn't changed anything in the bios, and the model# of my kit is(as also written on the page I linked to Hunter315): TW3X4G1333C9

thanks again :)

The settings for that RAM are DDR3 1333 with 9-9-9-24 timings at 1.6v. That's what you should set it at in the BIOS.

The problem could also be caused from unstable voltages if you have a cheap power supply. What 600W PSU do you have?

tju2an

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Hunter315:

I will enter bios Immediatly and Change the Voltage to 1.6, or is this done by first changing Jumper pins and afterwards enter Bios and change the Voltage?

Shortstuff_mt:

I found a link, including some info in the PSU here: http://www.xsreviews.co.uk/reviews/power-supply-units/xilence-power-600w-gaming-edition/
As I bought it, they said it's a good PSU and recommended for gaming, as also read in some reviews.

Thanks again, Cheers for you knowledge :)

and another point, the comp freezes mostly only while in windows and desktop, havn't frozen while playing games so far

and also One more thing, should a WD Green(500gb) connected with an esata red flat cable to the mobo be set to IDE or raid in the Bios? A friend of mine said RAIS but caused a BSoD for about half a second and the Comp restarted. I changed to IDE again

wathman

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009

I took a quick look at the detailed specs on what I think is your and your brother's CPUs, you actually should have the advantage in cache size. Since 140 Mhz higher clock speed on 2 cores shouldn't be much of a handicap for your system, hopefully it's the RAM settings or possibly faulty power that's holding you back

I also hope changing the RAM settings solves your problem. I am concerned with that PSU, though. The review you linked to is over 2 years old and they weren't all that impressed with it even then. It's obvious that it's a pretty old design since the 3.3v and 5v amp rating is higher than the 12v one. That's not a good thing. A GTX 260 GPU requires 36A on the 12v rail and your PSU produces less than 30A.

Enter bios, i havent ever worked with an LGA 775 board but you should have an option under one of the menus to set the settings for the ram, including the speed, timings, and voltages.

RAID is Redundant Array of Independent Disks, so unless you are running multiple ones and want them mirrored then you want it set to IDE mode.

I agree with shortstuff, that power supply is cutting it really close, my EA500 provides more 12 volt power than that 600watt PSU does. I cant seem to find any reviews of it that give more details than the one you linked to, and most of the hits i get when searching for reviews of it just link back to that one.

tju2an

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Should I Return the PSU and buy a new one, and if, recommend one if able please :)

I am only running a single HDD and It's set to IDE now and that works.

Under Timing in RAM settings, BIOS, theese numbers are written(as default)
1st Information : 9-9-9-24-5-74-10-5
2nd Information : 10-5-7-4-9-4-7
3rd Information : 21-7-1-10-10

I also read somewhere, that the RAM's shall be put in the Orange ports on the mobo if, something. Maybe they wrote OCing or Over Voltaging, I dont know, and the four avaiable ports are called A1 A2 B1 B2. Mine is sticked into A1 and B1, should I change that?

If it recommends the orange ports go for the orange ports, they said use them for OCing because the memory controller works best with that channel and will give you better stability.

As for the power supply either one of these two will work fine, the 650 will let you keep it for a bit longer and use in another build in the future
Only 100 more than the xilence
http://www.itpower.se/product_details.php?products_id=1925
300 more than the xilence but significantly better
http://www.itpower.se/product_details.php?products_id=1780

tju2an

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Thanks for the Tip's, and I will go and talk to them :) Is the PSU the cause of my freezing? Or is it the RAM voltage that causes them? didn't actually unerstand, as this thread has split into 2 problems.

and, under the "Ai tweaker" I found alot of changable things named DRAM, should I change the "DRAM CLK Skew on Channel A2 and B2"(i've set the RAM's into the orange ports now, which is A2 and B2) to either Advance or Delay, with a range from 50-350? In my ears, this hasn't with Voltage to do. But I cant find another line that directly says Change Voltage on RAM's

tju2an

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
thanks alot :)
How do I compare the timing setting to the amount of MHz? And you also told me to put 1.6V, is 1333MHz the respective amount for 1.6V?

Your ram timings should be set at 9-9-9-24, the voltage at 1.6, and the frequency at 1333MHz. The voltage isnt directly tied to the speed or timing, but the higher speeds and tighter timings make it harder for the chip to remain stable, increasing the voltage helps it stay stable. In the future you may want to look for ram that can run at stock voltage, it makes life easier and means they are better quality chips.

No, none of the settings affect the other, changing the speed wont change the voltage, it will just default to the SPD timings at that speed which your ram still requires the voltage boost for. If you dont want to have to manually set your timings and voltage your RAM claims to support SPD at 1066MHz

tju2an

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
So, there's still a problem. I havn't manually set the Voltage of the RAM to 1.6V so far. Do I need to move a jumper to another Pin in order to do this?