Solved

5850 crossfire help

I have a XFX 5850 card and I want to buy another one to use Crossfire. The problem is I cant even find one for sale on Newegg or any other big companies. I found this chart:

http://sites.amd.com/PublishingImages/Public/Graphic_Illustrations/WebBannerJPEG/AMD_CrossfireX_Chart_1618W.jpg

and it appears I cant use any of the 6xxx series ones. What am I supposed to do? Can I use a 6xxx series as the main card and my 5850 as the second one? Thanks for your help.
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 5850 crossfire help
  1. Best answer
    I got a Powercolor 5850 for $160 almost a year ago, I was planning on upgrading with Crossfire, but I am in the same boat since 5800 series cards are very difficult to find. I don't know if it was just the fact they were always in short supply or because of their raw performance in Bitcoin, but you will have a difficult time finding one and even if you do I doubt it'd be worth it. I see them on Craigslist and Ebay sometimes for as much as I paid for one new.

And no you can't use a 6800 or 6900 series with a 5800 in Crossifre, even if there was a work-around there are already enough application issues with Crossfire/SLI.
  2. If I can get another 5850, can I use any brand or do I have to use the same bran Im using now?
  3. Tristan944 said:
    If I can get another 5850, can I use any brand or do I have to use the same bran Im using now?
    Brands don't make a difference that I know of, the only downside of having a higher clocked 5850 or a 5870 is that the Crossfire pairs up the lowest denominator unless its like a dual GPU card like a 5970 then its pretty much three 5870s.

I haven't run a Crossfire set up before, so I may not be right, I was just sharing my woes about the lack of 5800s making my ability to ever Crossfire before upgrading very slim.
  4. We're in a difficult predicament bro.
  5. yes you can, and im 90% sure you can run any combination of 5830, 5850 and 5870 in crossfire
  6. There are some on Ebay. But for most of those prices you'd almost be better off getting a 6950 now and grabbing a 2nd one shortly after. the 69xx's scale much better anway. Just a thought.
  7. C0rehound said:
    There are some on Ebay. But for most of those prices you'd almost be better off getting a 6950 now and grabbing a 2nd one shortly after. the 69xx's scale much better anway. Just a thought.

Thanks for the info. What do you mean they "scale" better?
  8. 50% more frame rates at X resolution/AA/AF settings then compared to the 30% from the 5850 at the same settings. Those are not accurate numbers, just an example of what I mean by scale.
  9. Best answer selected by Tristan944.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Crossfire Overclocking