forsmark

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
Hi people!

I'am trying to get back into gaming, after having used laptops for quite a few years now. I have been doing some intensive research the last few days, trying to get in whats new and old, what works and what not. I have all my parts picked out and feel ready to go. The motherboard I have chosen is the MSI X58M (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130227). Although reviews seems to praise it, user comments is generally the opposite. Mostly it's the form factor, and people advice against microATX cards, but also I've heard that the card have overheating problems.

My question is now then: Should I go with the MSI X58M, as it's a good card on paper, or should I get another entry level X58 motherboard, and if so, which one? Also, should I opt to get an ATX card and stay clear of microATX?

For information, the rest of my planned build is:

CPU: Intel i7 920 2.66 GHz
GPU: XFX Radeon HD 5850
RAM: Kingston HyperX 3x2GB kit DDR3 1600 MHz
Case: CoolerMaster Storm Scout
PSU: CoolerMaster Silent Pro M500
HD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB x2 in RAID1 config

PS. All opinions and advice on the overall build is highly appreciated as well!

forsmark

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010

Nice link! That was definitely helpful. Seems like the asrock x58 extreme is the best buy. Thanks for the help!

hella-d

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
Mini ATX, ATX, Extended ATX, Whatever, As Long As It Has What You Need, And Is Of Decent Quality And Fits Your Case It Dosent Matter, I Could Have Went With A Standard ATX Board But I Went With A Mini ATX....Why???, Because It Has What I Need, Was Cheap, And Is A Good Board With A Good Chipset, And I Only Use Two Expansion Cards... My Soundblaster Audigy ZS And My Nvidia 9600GSO.