350GB host writes in a few weeks??

synce

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
Hey I bought an Intel 320 (120GB) a few weeks ago and while checking the SMART data using the toolbox software I see this huge number. There's no way I've written this much data to the drive, not even half. According to the toolbox my config is optimal - AHCI and TRIM enabled, no superfetch, no defrag, no indexing, no restore. The only thing that comes to mind is my heavy WinRAR use, but all that's done on my 3 slave HDDs. I've also got a 256MB pagefile on the SSD, should I completely disable it? Is there a way to monitor what's causing all these writes?

Depends on exactly what you mean by "a few weeks". Over the past year and a half my system has averaged around 5GB a day of writes - at that rate I'm writing 350GB in about 10 weeks. I consider that to be normal.

I have no pagefile on the SSD, but I do have a 10GB hibernation file, and I also have my profile (and therefore my temporary internet files, etc.) on the SSD.

synce

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
To be more precise it's been 3 weeks, so that's over 15GB per day. Reading a little further into it, according to pre-release info the lifespan of the 320 series is 30-60TB, so that should be 5-10 years of use in my case, which is great unless the spec has changed...

Edit: According to this, the drive should have "a minimum of 5 years of useful life" if you write 20GB per day, so I guess I'm good :)